New Bryford - the Final Countdown.

newbryford

• RMweb Premium

When I say 90's, I mean built in the 1990's.

Some of you may remember the layout - mostly seen on the exhibition circuit in the North of England, but it did make a few forays to the Midlands and it's last show was at Folkestone in 2000! It made a magazine appearance, making the cover of the Model Rail supplement in December 1994

I sold it in 2001 or so and thought I'd seen the last of it, but fate was to intervene. Last year I was actually thinking of a building a new, modernised version of the layout and even had the trackplan on my noticeboard in my shed, along with a list of trains that would occupy the storage sisings, when by chance, I found out that "New Bryford" was for sale. A couple of emails and phonecalls to confirm it's condition and I was on my way with fellow modeller Spike in his van, to repatriate it.

Upon closer inspection once home, there was minor damage to a couple of rail ends and some of the structures were beyond repair, but these were probably going to be replaced anyway and a basic plan of what we wanted to do was formed. Another friend was also recruited to the cause.

We then made the decision to exhibit it at our club show at Blackburn in September 2011. This was back in October 2010 when we had plenty of time................ or so we thought.

Not quite taking family/work/other exhibiting with Blackmill/etc. into account, we found ourselves in May 2011 with nothing done and the prospect of readying the layout for September 2011. Also having taken on another exhibition showing for the end of September 2011..........

A quick bit of soul searching and diary checking and we decided to go for it. I know full well, barring very major catastrophes, that we will do it, as that's our way.

The plan is to convert it to DCC, make the scenic sections deeper with an added rear section. Replace most of the structures and revamp/enlarge others. Tidy up the overall appearance and add a new lighting system.

For starters the stock will be current - mostly that seen already on "Blackmill". There are potential plans to backdate, but that's for another day/month/year......

For starters - here's a couple of pics to show what it used to look like.
post-408-0-65016700-1309217131_thumb.jpg
post-408-0-17459300-1309217174_thumb.jpg
post-408-0-41517900-1309217209_thumb.jpg

Cheers,
Mick

• RMweb Premium

Love the Grid on coils! :D

Now consigned to history I'm afraid! BYA's will be the order of the day with a shed or if you're lucky, a tug! There are plans to make a more varied steel train with BAA's etc, but that'll be next year at the earliest.

Going back even further , I remember Bryford Road appearing in the RM . Good to see this one making a welcome return too.

Now you're showing your age... :laugh:

Hi Mick

Excellent Photos mate, Do you have a Track Plan, and Size of theLayout.

Excellent work... keep up the excellent photos

regards

Jamie

Glad you like the layout.

More photos to come of it's original form, but I'm not near my archive with them on tonight. However, there's a couple below, of the work in progress,

It's 16'x8' and I'm in the process of redoing the trackplan (or at least a fellow modeller is!)

An overall view of the layout

post-408-0-90723400-1309302594_thumb.jpg

Taken from the inside, showing the new deeper section to the backscene

post-408-0-81022000-1309302623_thumb.jpg

From the other end - the box for the new station building and concourse taking shape. The new high backboards are also in place

post-408-0-78947400-1309302702_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Will it be done in time for the September show Mick?

Pete

Hi Pete,

As I said - "barring major catastrophe" - yes. ;) ;)

Very little stock modelling in the meantime.

Cheers,

Mick

Hi Pete,

As I said - "barring major catastrophe" - yes. ;) ;)

Very little stock modelling in the meantime.

Cheers,

Mick

It definately would be if he wasn't assisting me at the British GP in Silverstone in a couple of weeks time :yahoo:

I remember New Bryford well, and even from uk.rec.models.rail

How about Tontine Street Goods? I love that little layout, still have pics of it from Manchester in 2002 (?)

Hi Mick,

I still have my modelrail supp that New Bryford was in, I was also lucky enough to see the layout a few times. It always ran well and had a good variety stock, hope all goes well with the rebuild.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Mick, I did wonder where New Bryford had been hiding all this time when I saw it on the list of layouts for your September show!:laugh: I must say, it looks smaller than 18ft in the photo's, but looking forward to seeing you and the 'old dinosaur' at the show. Are you bringing Steve out of retirement too? Kev.

It definately would be if he wasn't assisting me at the British GP in Silverstone in a couple of weeks time :yahoo:

Lucky man, I do miss being 2 miles from the track, although I have had the pleasure of driving round the circuit in a 1940's MG!

I look forward seeing New Bryford back, it was one of the inspirational layouts that got me into diesel modelling back in the 90's good luck getting it back on the scene

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mick, I did wonder where New Bryford had been hiding all this time when I saw it on the list of layouts for your September show!:laugh: I must say, it looks smaller than 18ft in the photo's, but looking forward to seeing you and the 'old dinosaur' at the show. Are you bringing Steve out of retirement too? Kev.

Hi Kev,

16' (well actually about 15'9".....) Steve may make an

:pleasantry: appearance. :pleasantry:

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

All the backboards are now in giving us a "frame" to include all the structures.

This is the station end. The sharp curves will be covered by the new station concourse.

post-408-0-74857500-1309943864_thumb.jpg

The middle section with the extended road bridge. This will be a lift-off deck so that there is no visible line in the roadway across the joint between the original and new scenic sections. The deck is a sandwich of foamboard and will be clad with "various" materials! The large hole in the backboard is for access to the siding within the warehouse and a shelf for brews..... The battens will support a large warehouse type building

post-408-0-78403400-1309943911_thumb.jpg

The left hand end. Retaining the original railway bridge - the girders have been loosely placed. This will be a disused line with lots of vegetation and may feature a couple of cameos later........... ;)

post-408-0-28080900-1309944360_thumb.jpg

The next step is to paint the whole thing with primer.

Cheers,

Mick

Guest Digital

Looking very nice Mick.

Look forward to seeing the layout on the exhibition circuit again.

Regards

John

• RMweb Gold

Will it be done in time for the September show Mick?

Pete

Mick has moved New Bryford into the Blackburn Society's new clubrooms to do all the refurbishment.

This puts it under the close scrutiny of the Exhibition Manager and his team, so any lack of progress will be noted very quickly!!!!!

Being able to accommodate a member's layout in advance of our exhibition is a great bonus of our recent move from Blackburn town centre to Oswaldtwistle (in Accrington).

The photos Mick shows of the ongoing work are taken in the clubroom, which is some 3589 sq. ft. in area plus "shared facilities" like toilets, canteen etc.

With 24/7 access; no excuses.

Steve Hewitt

• RMweb Premium

With 24/7 access; no excuses.

:yes:

Just been there again tonight to apply another layer of paint on the backboards.

The multi-storey carpark and arches should be worked upon later tonight.

No real visible progress to show, but the next two-three weeks should see a major leap forward in structures.

Cheers,

Mick

:yes:

Just been there again tonight to apply another layer of paint on the backboards.

The milti-storey carpark and arches should be worked upon later tonight.

No real visible progress to show, but the next two-three weeks should see a major leap forward in structures.

Cheers,

Mick

Hi Mick

Dont know why you didn't do anything last weekend, it is not as if you were busy or anything........................:P

Hi Mick

Dont know why you didn't do anything last weekend, it is not as if you were busy or anything........................:P

I hear he was doing a lot of sitting on his backside!!! yes.gif

Oh and trying to swat an annoying insect laugh1.giflaugh1.giflaugh1.giflaugh1.giflaugh1.giflaugh1.gif

• RMweb Premium

The multi-storey carpark and arches should be worked upon later tonight.

Hi Mick

Based upon the experiences of last weekend, the car park will be full of Audi A6's and there'll be a helipad on the top deck....... :lol:

Oh and trying to swat an annoying insect

Would that be a 200mph capable insect with Red Bull branding on the side?

Cheers,

Mick

Archived