The railways of Ben Ashworth country.

What inspired you to become interested in the railways of the Forest of Dean?

• RMweb Gold

As a dyed-in-the-wood S&D enthusiast, my interest in the Forest of Dean railways was initially slight, even though I’d made a number of visits to the Dean Forest Railway over the years, including one visit to Parkend in the very early days, when even the Marsh branch was still in use by BR.

Having always been an admirer of the work of Ben Ashworth, however, I had previously acquired copies of his books ‘The Last Days of Steam in Gloucestershire’ and its sequel, both of which feature some great views in the Forest of Dean.

It was the release of his ‘BR Steam in Dean’ a few years ago, however, that really got me hooked. There is something about pannier tanks working hard and trains of mineral wagons that ‘ticks a lot of boxes’ for me…

After that, I got hold of copies of the Wild Swan books on the Severn & Wye section (although I’m still looking for a copy of Volume 3!), and the two ‘Forest of Dean’ volumes by the same publisher. And in the Severn & Wye series, Volume 4 is all about the Mineral Loop – a whole book on the Mineral Loop! How brilliant is that?!

There are other books that I would recommend as well, such as the Silverlink ‘Then and Now’ series and one on footplate memories (who’s author escapes me for the moment).

What inspired your interest in the railways of the Forest?

• Like 2

My interest in the FOD began by looking through RC Rileys GWR picturebooks and seeing a 2021 class tank at Coleford.The picture really struck a chord with me and I realised that this was the GWR for me, not the express trains hauled by Castles and Kings.This was about the time Hornby released their 2721 class and being only about 12 at the time, it was an affordable engine by saving pocket money and birthday money.A couple of badly built Ratio 4 wheelers followed and a motley collection of Ratio and Coopercraft wagon kits.A bit of time spent in the library gleaned a bit more info on exotic sounding places like Coleford, Cinderford and Parkend (they were exotic to me, living in Sussex) and the seeds of a layout were sown.At this point , girls and guitars reared their not so ugly heads and railway modelling took a backseat,not really coming back to it big time until my son was a toddler and started getting int Thomas.That was the excuse to get the trains out again.In the meantime, during my armchair modelling phase, the Cambrian and LBSC had monopolised my interests so a FOD layout is no.3 on the TO DO list.

When it happens, it will be based on the Forest od Dean Central Railway, not the most obvious candidate, but Blakeney has a remote ,other wordly charm, with its lack of a run round loop, semi-island platform and the mysterious land beyond,where no trains dare go,crying out for a 101 "What if?" situations.So that's where the basis of the layout lies.I intend a small shelf type layout, more as a diorama than a fully functioning layout,more will follow when work starts.

Jamie

Brian Houghton, a maths teacher at Feltham Comprehensive from the very late 60's, through the 70's and very possibly beyond kindled my interest in the Forest of Dean.

He and his wife Hilary used to take groups of interested pupils away on walking trips during the school holidays. The first I went on was to the Lake District (Cumbria didnt exist in those days - it was still Cumberland, Westmorland and bits of Lancashire). The second was a long weekend (possibly Easter) based in Chepstow and everywhere we went we found ourselves walking through idyllic surroundings - usually very green tunnels of trees - along what were easily identifiable as disused railway lines. The high point of the weekend was unexpectedly emerging from the trees to find ourselves on a shelf high above the River Wye. A train used to run along here, I thought as I gazed at the scene in wonderment.

If Brian and/or Hilary come across this as a result of Googling themselves I'd like to thank them for some of the seeds they sowed all those years ago. I'm still useless at maths, but that might well be because I was never actually in Brian's class!

Hey,

Im currently a working member of the Forest of Dean Railway and have been for 13 years and still going strong! currently on the society executive committee, Fireman, passenger guard and freight guard inspector and also young persons co-ordinator witch i have only just started, it's part of the society's efforts trying to attract the younger population to join us in our effort to preserve part of of the beautiful english heritage! did i forget im not even 20 yet!!

For those who are on Facebook and wish to join our society page to keep up to date with goings on and events at the DFR please feel free to visit our page http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=122634064424125 The society will also be launching our website within the next few week

all the best Keirran R Copley

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

HI All,

well i use to take kids mountain biking around the forest for over 6 years whilst working for PGL and living in Ross-on-Wye.

Quite a few of the cycle tracks are built on the old lines in the forest so that naturally got me hooked. Its funny how may rides ended up at Parkend.

Im currently collecting the N gauge peco wagons that they did with 'Parkend' and any others in the locoal area and am still looking for an o gauge wagon kit that i have seen on here built up.

cheers

Simon

Hi all,

I live in the Forest, well technically I'm a Severnsider as the boundary marker is just up the road but nobody seems to pay attention to that anymore. I can hear trains whistling for Whitecroft crossing while eating Sunday lunch at my parent's, what could be more idylic? With two weeks to go before retirement I'm looking forward to spending more time on the DFR, but there's a fly in the ointment in that I've just been asked to return as a supply teacher in September whilst someone has an op. Still thinking about that.

Tony Comber

• Like 2

I live not far away from the Forest, on the other bank of the Severn. I first went to the FoD mountain biking with my son, and hiking with his Scout troop. As a died-in-the-wool anti GWR/country branch line modeller for many years, the gritty industrial nature of the railway system in the forest environment was a revelation. I then came across Peter Smith's 'An Historical Survey of the Forst of Dean Railways'(OPC) and there was no excuse not to start modelling, helped along the way by the 'Severn and Wye Railway' series, and the Ben Ashworth books mentioned in earlier posts. What i find amazing is the scale of the enterprises in the Forest - like Cannop Colliery, where the biking centre now is, of which there is really no indication now, only 50 years or so after closure.

I am currently engaged in finishing off two small modules, which in theory fit together but in practice never have, due to space constraints at home. One is a 6x1 shelf, on which sits my version of Coleford S&W, called Colford, as it's not quite Coleford. The other is a 4x2 Whitcliffe Quarry, inspired by Whitecliff. Having just moved into semi-retirement, I am negotiating with the Home Secretary for the release of one of the (now absent) kids' bedrooms for modelling purposes. What's next? Speech House Road? Lydney Town and Tinplate Works? Coleford GWR to join onto Colford S&W? The possibilities are legion!

Rob Mills

• RMweb Gold

I am currently engaged in finishing off two small modules, which in theory fit together but in practice never have, due to space constraints at home. One is a 6x1 shelf, on which sits my version of Coleford S&W, called Colford, as it's not quite Coleford. The other is a 4x2 Whitcliffe Quarry, inspired by Whitecliff. Having just moved into semi-retirement, I am negotiating with the Home Secretary for the release of one of the (now absent) kids' bedrooms for modelling purposes. What's next? Speech House Road? Lydney Town and Tinplate Works? Coleford GWR to join onto Colford S&W? The possibilities are legion!

Sounds very interesting Rob - what scale/gauge are you working in?

• RMweb Premium

Friends (Geoff & family, of Comet Models) and family (youngest son and new family) moving to and living in Ross and a lifelong interest in railways anywhere helps!!

On a school trip once, just before I left teaching in the early 80s, we stopped at Tintern for a picnic and there was the Signal Box and some buildings - that helped.

Visiting the F of D railway to have a shufty at the Auto Coach with Geoff. That helped.

Fascination with the old system (just outside the Forest) at Ross. Ongoing, every time I go to Ross!!

Even better is the that SWMBO has not dismissed a move to Ross in the next couple of years (thanks new grandson - you will probably never know how grateful I am for your arrival :pleasantry:).

Who knows, I might be able to be there in person in the not too distant future (The Forest that is).

Thanks Cap'n,

Phil @ 36E (for the time being).

P.S. I forgot the visit to Lydney Shed in 1963 - that probably helped.

I have lived in St.Briavels for 23 years having moved from London. When the kids were younger we walked over parts of the former track between Speech House and Serridge Junction as well as the usual Santa trips on the Dean Forest.

When the dogs arrived they have walked large parts of the Coleford branch from Parkend as it is now a Cycle Path. Driving through the Forest you can still see the remains of the Mineral Loop and the Arwe to New Fancy route.

Although not within the Forest rail routes I regularly walk the former Wye Valley line from St.Briavels towards Whitebrook and Redbrook.

Seeing all these remains on a regular basis makes one imagine what it would have looked like 50 years ago and more.

My best trip up the DFR was behind the Midland 1F 41708.

There's lots of local inspiration just waiting to find the time.

My interest in the FoD railways started through my job as a Truck Driver, at one particular firm. I'm Midlands-based but regularly did runs to Gloucestershire, including the Rank Xerox factory at Mitcheldean, and other Forest places...

I actually came across the DFR "backwards" so to speak, as it was the then-derelict Parkend Station I first came across in 1994, whilst heading to Lydney from Mitcheldean. Only later did I find Norchard; 'new' Lydney Town didn't yet exist, and Lydney Junction was still being built at the time. Later I regularly had breaks at Norchard - a nice big lorry-friendly Car Park to park up in and have a wander around the place during the week. I also got Ben Ashworth's books, and found out much about the history of the railways of the area; I was also able to link the pictures to some of the places I was going to for deliveries, and where the old mines all used to be. I even found the famous Flour Mill Works at Bream, now a steam restoration works - and well hidden!!! I'm no longer at that firm, but we still go for days out at the Forest as often as possible.

SWMBO and I had a short B&B break in the Forest one year, and the family thought I was local (accent excepted!) as I spoke of places there using their local, unofficial names, such as "Traveller's Rest" north of Parkend.

Modelling-wise, I don't have, or plan, an actual FoD layout, but in O scale I do have a Steve Beattie Class 22 finished as regular Forest engine D6320 (unofficially named 'Lister') and am working on a PRMRP Class 14, which I will do as D9555 one side (regular Forest Engine in the late '60s, and DFR resident now) and D9535 the other (the very first Class 14 to work into the Forest, 03/01/66, I believe - and it promptly broke down!!). If money was no object I'd also love to have an 8750-class Pannier Tank; unfortunately money IS an object so the question of whether I'd finish it as pristine DFR resident 9681, or another utterly clapped-out Pannier circa December 1965, is a bit academic, at the moment....

Looking forward to adding a bit more to this group, hopefully!!

There are other books that I would recommend as well, such as the Silverlink ‘Then and Now’ series and one on footplate memories (who’s author escapes me for the moment).

Captain, are you thinking of 'Dean Forest Footplate Memories' and 'More Memories of a Dean Forest Railwayman' both by Bob Barnett? I have the second book, published by Silver Link in The Nostalgia Collection. A very interesting read, as you'll well imagine. I've yet to read the first book. There's also 'GWR Steam My Personal Encounter' by Douglas A. Trigg who was based at Gloucester Horton Road. I think this might feature some F of D memories, although it's more far-ranging. Published by Pathfinder 1992. My copy is acquired from a late friend's collection so not sure if still in print.

Steve.

Also just a quick note Michael Portillo visited the Dean Forest Railway last week to film part of his new railway series starting in January so keep an eye out im not sure how much of the forest he has covered as i did not get to listen in as i was on the footplate of 1450,

post-11135-0-85047900-1311166540_thumb.jpg

Thanks drflocoman for the info and for posting the photograph. I'm enjoying the present re-run of the series, I'm sure there'll be many of us watching in January, especially when it features the Forest of Dean Railway.

Steve.

Also just a quick note Michael Portillo visited the Dean Forest Railway last week to film part of his new railway series starting in January ...

I enjoyed his previous Series - will have to look out for that episode especially!!

I have to say I much prefer Mr Portillo as a Railway Enthusiast than as a Politician..!! :rolleyes: :yes: ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Captain, are you thinking of 'Dean Forest Footplate Memories' and 'More Memories of a Dean Forest Railwayman' both by Bob Barnett? I have the second book, published by Silver Link in The Nostalgia Collection

Yes, it's the first volume that I've got. I found it yesterday and was having another look through it last night - I did read it right through when I first bought it - top notch stuff and very interesting.

Interesting also to note that Bob Barnett is now a volunteer on the DFR - excellent!

Ive got a "kind of interest" in the area's railways, due to having visited the area rather a lot a few years ago - Ive kept it bottled up so far but it could escpae anytime soon.....after all I have got a Farish class 14 somewhere ;)

Well that's it, Mickey. No excuse now - get planning and building. And just think of all the relief in letting go what you've bottled up for so long!

Steve.

Good Evening Captain,long time no see etc. Nice to see a section on the FoD which has interested me since I was in short pants over 50 years ago and found the 2 David and Charles 'Dean Forester' books in Wrexham Public Library of all places. They must have been quite new then and why Wrexham Library got them I've no idea. However, I'm eternally grateful to them as they sparked an interest that has never really died. My first visit to the FoD was in the early/mid 80's on a week's family holiday B&B'ing in Lydney. At that time Norchard was quite primitive and there was no 'mainline' running. Parkend still had the sidings etc. and the docks area was full of interesting 'things'. We did a bit of walking in the forest with the kids and found various relics and trackbeds. I returned home full of enthusiasm but the next visits would have been 10 or more years later with a friend and we looked for the Mineral Branch and it's tunnel mouth, Serridge Junction, etc, all before the 'tidying-up' occurred for the Mountain Bike trails (which, as an avid cyclist, I have yet to tackle!). The Wild Swan books have helped along the way and a couple of years ago we had a week near Ross-on-Wye and spent a couple of days around the forest and the railway. I believe it is a modeller's paradise if you're into industry, mines, short trains, PO wagons, small stations etc. etc. I keep planning layouts - but not built one - yet!

I also have an LP record (one of those round, flat, black things if you can remember them) of a double headed pannier goods train on the Coleford branch - absolutely brilliant! It is possible follow the progress of the train along the line from the exhaust sounds and having the relevant Wild Swan book along side you whilst listening is great.

I also have an LP record (one of those round, flat, black things if you can remember them) of a double headed pannier goods train on the Coleford branch - absolutely brilliant! It is possible follow the progress of the train along the line from the exhaust sounds and having the relevant Wild Swan book along side you whilst listening is great.

As parts of the Coleford Branch were 1 in 31, that would make a good recording!!! :yes: :D

I enjoyed his previous Series - will have to look out for that episode especially!!

I have to say I much prefer Mr Portillo as a Railway Enthusiast than as a Politician..!! :rolleyes: :yes: ;)

Believe it or not Mr Portillo did not know how a steam engine worked e.g how water goes into the boiler, what's the various gauges and valves do, but it is now safe to say he does its amazing what a 20 year old can teach someone in 4 and 1/4 miles of line :D and trying to makes sure he got back to lydney junction to ctach his train from the mainline but of course we was only doing 25 mph :P

cheers keirran