Peaks on the Waverley

DaveArkley

• 2 months later...

There can be no doubt whatsoever about what D19's working here at the Citadel:

http://www.railbrit....e2.php?id=37654

Further to Chard's link to photo of D19 at Carlisle, Please see link below of D19 at St Boswells c1961 on the down Waverlley.

however, on this shot it is not carrying the 'Waverley' headboard.

British Railways Class 45 D19 (45025) - St Boswells

I hope you will find this photo useful.

Regards David

• Like 2

Did you rescan this one David? I seem to recall it being a lot darker previously, this one now showing much more detail.

Top shot by the way!

Hi Matt,

Yes is the answer to your question, I now have a new scanner since I had the Collection on Fotopic so I will add a few more that might be of interest.

Thanks for your kind comments.

Regards David

PS V2 60836 now scanned and will add link shortly

An interesting thread for a Peak fan such as me.....

Has anyone ever seen one of the first five 45's modelled with the split box and 44 style nose doors? I keep thinking I should give it a go, but I already have 8 Peaks in my collection which is 24% of my mainline loco stud. Rather top heavy with Peaks already I guess.....

Cheers.

Sean.

Has anyone ever seen one of the first five 45's modelled with the split box and 44 style nose doors?

IIRC there is one featured in a recent Modeller article on Dewsbury Midland. Whether it's a splitbox with doors added or a 44 with boxes added, I wouldnt like to say, but it looked neat. A PM to Andy C, 62659 or Allegheny1600 might elicit some info?

You can't have too many Peaks, PoD. Well, I guess at 194 you would.

I've considered this manouevre too, to recreate GSYP D14 as it was running in the summer of '68. I've already harvested D11 - with centre headcode panel, and I've a relatively short window to have one with doors. I think D14 is my only viable candidate, and unless I'm very much mistaken, these locos received both centre headcodes and a coat of blue paint simultaneously courtesy of Brush.

Hmmmn.

I'm going to refurb my 8 as part of my ongoing detailing work. I reckon I might stretch to 9, just to have at least one of each, (original), nose ends. You'd have to use a split box 45 with nose doors added I think, as the side grills on the 44's are longer.

Question is, which one did I see when they were running? I think it would have been D14 too, but I will have to research what they became under TOPS and take it from there.

I'll have a look at Dewsbury Midland too Pennine, just out of curiosity you understand.....

Cheers.

Sean.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Pick a peak, any peak!

Just finished a Farish split box conversion, so now have a split box model showing 1M10 and 1S64. Just needing an identity.

Its a nameless wonder as well, so anyone care to volunteer a personal favourite, or a route regular or one that was a particular beast? Always like it if my loco numbers have a story behind them, I'm struggling with peaks as I only saw a small fraction of them in their last days in BR blue.

So split box, BR green, no name is the criteria.

cheers

Does she have doors (11-15) or is she smooth between the boxes? I'm assuming we're talking GSYP with grey grille/ stripe....

From D16 (Derby) & D68 (Crewe) the doors were no longer incorporated into the nose, but for the time being the headcode boxes remained on the outside edges of the nose front.

16 - 30 all worked over the Waverley

from 68 - 107, the following are candidates: 69, 71, 74, 75, 81, 82, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 91, 92, 95-98, 101, 102, 104 and 107.

Now, let's think about backstories....

Edited by 'CHARD
  • Like 2

Does she have doors (11-15) or is she smooth between the boxes? I'm assuming we're talking GSYP with grey grille/ stripe....

From D16 (Derby) & D68 (Crewe) the doors were no longer incorporated into the nose, but for the time being the headcode boxes remained on the outside edges of the nose front.

Hi Chard.

You've puzzled me here..... (not difficult). I didn't realise any of the Crewe build had nose doors and split boxes. I knew about D11 - D15, but which Crewe one's had this detail? It may alter my OO conversions identity.

Cheers.

Sean.

Hi Sean, it's okay - your assumption is right. I borrowed the phrasing from the Derby Sulzers website (with permission). I don't believe any Crewe-built machines had doors, it was only ever those initial five.

• Like 1

16 - 30 all worked over the Waverley

from 68 - 107, the following are candidates: 69, 71, 74, 75, 81, 82, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 91, 92, 95-98, 101, 102, 104 and 107.

Now, let's think about backstories....

Good point, doors were smoothed over and she does have the grey stripe.

"....on June 14th (1961) D91 was noted working two round trips of empty vans over the Waverley route - between Carlisle & Hawick, seen as a precursor to the use of the Peaks on the Edinburgh - Leeds workings, truly were the times looking up for these 138 ton monsters."

with thanks to Derby Sulzers.

How about her? Groundbreaking Peak.

Hi Sean, it's okay - your assumption is right. I borrowed the phrasing from the Derby Sulzers website (with permission). I don't believe any Crewe-built machines had doors, it was only ever those initial five.

Thanks Chard.

That's cleared that up then. Thought I'd missed something.

Whilst I'm on, I can't remember if I said already, but I've found a spare set of etched nose doors for my split headcode peak. I can see a model of D14 coming up in the future then.

Cheers.

Sean.

• Like 1

Early days Dave and nowhere near finished, I'll keep the finished item for the WR models thread

Pretty easy to make up the actual indicator boxes, just watch the folding. Fixing boxes on is also straight forwards.

Only difficulty is filling in the door mouldings. That can be done carefully but its the filing flat that I found troublesome.

300312models009.jpg

• Like 2

Have a look at this page, the section on 1969 and Peak 60. The photo at Hawick is still one of the most dramatic railway images ever recorded.

http://www.derbysulzers.com/45022.html

Aw, shucks.

Luck, really. That poor Ilford Sportsman had bounced about the panniers on my Velocette for a few years and the plug-in flashes were temperamental, but they all worked at Hawick where I used my last ones. When I got to Newcastleton, I'd a camera but no flash bulbs left. The local press photographer asked if my camera had a "B" setting - it did - so he said that when he took a photo if I opened the shutter I'd get the benefit of his flash. So my colour photos of the demonstration &c were complemented by his black and white (which appeared in the national press) of the same scene. I wish I knew what happened to his collection.

... if only I'd had flash to take the Clayton at Kershopefoot as it straddled the crossing waiting for the Pullman to head to Longtown and history.

Bruce

Edited by 62440
  • Like 2