Class 85

Michael Delamar

Looking like it's going to be a very popular and accurate model.

An excuse (if one is needed) for those without the 'wires'

A couple of pics of a WCML diversion at Man Vic

40143,85028 Man Vic 18-06-82

post-1161-0-76481300-1321915170.jpg

post-1161-0-26463000-1321915186.jpg

• Like 13

Thanks for the photos Derek. The second one is going to be a great guide for weathering. Shows the 85 very nicely. I think thats about as dirty as the electrics ever got!

I was on the blower yesterday to Rails of Sheffield to pre-order another one of these fine models (as I reckon now that the first batch will sell right out), I asked about release dates and they know nothing so far.

We'd just need an accurate class 40 ;)

...and accurate Mk2s!

Don't you just love those 'google-eyed' headcodes, makes the loco look comical!

Great pictures, are these from a gallery?

N

Neal,

Thanks

They are just a couple from my personal images, not in a gallery sorry to say. I just dig them out if I feel i have one that is appropriate.to the thread.

By the way, you all of you do realise that the latest edition (October - November) of Modern Locomotives Illustrated magazine is featuring the class 80 - 85?

There are plenty of drawings and decent pictures of the real things in it to help aid any modeling projects, even the '80!

Edited by 303013

By the way, you all of you do realise that the latest edition (October - November) of Modern Locomotives Illustrated magazine is featuring the class 80 - 85?

There are plenty of drawings and decent pictures of the real things in it to help aid any modeling projects, even the '80!

Ssssh, don't mention the 80 or it's previous life as a Kerosene Castle - Heljan might decide to make it.

• Like 1

Guest Max Stafford

Now there's a model with potential. Not only the 'obscure prototype' beloved by our Danish buddies, but an electric option too!

Dave.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone think the electric blue looks a little on the dark side?

Mind you hasn't there been a lot of debate about the real existence of "Electric Blue" and that in fact it was actually "Rail Blue" in almost all cases, which would appear to be what Bachmann have aimed at here?

Mind you hasn't there been a lot of debate about the real existence of "Electric Blue" and that in fact it was actually "Rail Blue" in almost all cases, which would appear to be what Bachmann have aimed at here?

When the 25kV was extended south to a temporary loco-change point at Bletchley in 1965(?), prior to the full opening to Euston, I made a number of trainspotting trips over their via the Cambridge-Bletchley line. Lots of lovely 81-86 cops to be had! Then along came British Rail and corporate Rail Blue livery. Rest assured, it was a different shade of blue, and I'm not just talking different finish/no varnish/whatever! The 2 liveries seen side by side were different.

Stewart

Electric blue was a very different shade, more of a pale mid-blue, a much more vivid blue than rail blue which had a greater green component. The Class 86s however have been the subject of debate, and it is generally accepted they were delivered in an early version of rail blue, originally without yellow panels, and with white roof and window surrounds. To confuse matters, some Class 81s also got repainted into early rail blue with double arrow cast symbol, whilst still carrying the white roof and cab windows, and small yellow panels similar to the Class 86, but the 85s, having been delivered later, went straight from electric blue to rail blue with full yellow ends, although a number retained their cast ferret and dartboard whilst carrying rail blue.

However, electric blue and rail blue were very different shades.

• Like 2