• Like x 2

#1077 stewartingram

stewartingram

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,521 posts
  • LocationChatteris, Cambridgeshire

Posted 16 October 2016 - 16:52

I went to the Peterborough show today, and managed to purchase an electic blue 85, new from Hereford Model Centre. Theuy also had a couple of rail ble examples (£84 each I believe?),

Stewart

#1078 letterspider

letterspider

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 13:58

What's all this doom and gloom about electrics? Why doesn't the rest of Europe have this issue? How come much more narrow range machines an the continent can make profit while an 86/87/90 can't?

Apparently because it is impossible to make a scale BW pantograph...?

#1079 RBE

RBE

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,699 posts
  • LocationChesterfield

Posted 20 July 2017 - 11:32

I managed to scratchbuild one ok 7 years ago and it still works perfectly.

post-6894-127521623943_thumb.jpg
  • Like x 3
  • Craftsmanship/Clever x 2

#1080 Gordon H

Gordon H

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 18:31

Having scratchbuilt several of these myself over the past 30 years or so, I eventually found them somewhat simpler to build - or at least rather less time consuming - than the Cross-arm version which involved the fabrication of considerably more parts, which by the nature of the design needed to be sufficiently consistent, accurate and repeatable.

With the B/W there is, by and large, only one of everything that matters whereas the Cross-arm needed four of most things.

#1081 letterspider

letterspider

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 14:09

Having scratchbuilt several of these myself over the past 30 years or so, I eventually found them somewhat simpler to build - or at least rather less time consuming - than the Cross-arm version which involved the fabrication of considerably more parts, which by the nature of the design needed to be sufficiently consistent, accurate and repeatable.

With the B/W there is, by and large, only one of everything that matters whereas the Cross-arm needed four of most things.

Wish I could produce BW pantographs as good as those.

What I meant to say is that it is apparently very hard for the manufacturers to (affordably?) mass produce a well detailed, working (sprung and/or current collecting) OO scale BW pantograph.

Hornby have said their Class 87 will not feature one, the Bachmann Class 90 - sounds like it should be very good if they are going to the trouble of putting in a servo motor - however my guess is the link wire from the motor is serving the job of holding the pan against the wire, instead of a spring. As for DJM Models' Class 92, Dave so far seems a little coy about providing details in his thread.

It seems to me that it would be easier if the model manufacturers approached the locomotive manufacturers and ask them to design pantographs that in future are easier to model and to mothball the BW pan!

• Funny x 1

#1082 Gordon H

Gordon H

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 18:01

It seems to me that it would be easier if the model manufacturers approached the locomotive manufacturers and ask them to design pantographs that in future are easier to model and to mothball the BW pan!

A similar thought along those lines occurred to me the very first time I saw a real B/W pan on 86244 in Willeseden yard back in the mid-80's, basically "if the model manufacturer's can't make cross-arms, what chance have they got of making one of those?" :)

This was, of course, an era when Lima thought it OK to fit their 87's with diamond frame pans - or 'spring donors' as we would refer to them, being the only parts of it worth keeping.

• Like x 1

#1083 ThaneofFife

ThaneofFife

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,158 posts
  • Location87033 a Beast

Posted 23 July 2017 - 08:45

has anybody ordered the new edition 85040 (weathered)?    Looks good. tempted to get one.

#1084 letterspider

letterspider

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 11:42

has anybody ordered the new edition 85040 (weathered)?    Looks good. tempted to get one.

Holding out for a price drop or special offer...

• Like x 1

#1085 ThaneofFife

ThaneofFife

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,158 posts
  • Location87033 a Beast

Posted 01 December 2017 - 20:05

New AL5s available from RoS for £89.50 which seems a bit of bargain if you want this small yellow warning panel version......this is a heads up for those that do not know about this deal rather than the odd brightspark who reckons Rails might have been advertising these at this price for god knows how long.  I've only just spotted it.

#1086 reevesthecat

reevesthecat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 22:50

They were £79 from ROS not that long ago!
Mark

#1087 Black 5 Bear

Black 5 Bear

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 717 posts
  • LocationCambridgeshire.

Posted 01 December 2017 - 23:13

Still showing as £79.50 on ROS website plus p+p. By all accounts, there are loads in stock at Barwell should the retail outlets run out.

#1088 ThaneofFife

ThaneofFife

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,158 posts
  • Location87033 a Beast

Posted 04 December 2017 - 18:22

thought that livery would be quite popular with those modelling the demise of steam and the introduction of electric.

i hope to see the weathered 85040 at this price but doubt it.....

• Agree x 1
  • Like x 1

#1089 GordonC

GordonC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 21:58

thought that livery would be quite popular with those modelling the demise of steam and the introduction of electric.

i hope to see the weathered 85040 at this price but doubt it.....

I'm surprised too - Maybe the TOPS numbered BR Blue livery is unusually the more popular livery for this class

#1090 Mad McCann

Mad McCann

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 713 posts
  • LocationCumberland and Scotland, Europe.

Posted 12 December 2017 - 00:18

Probably this reflects the wider utility of the Class post 1974.

D4.
  • Agree x 1