Canadian Pacific locos Didsbury Alberta

post-10673-0-24746600-1310263829_thumb.jpg

Didsbury Alberta. North of Calgary and Carstairs, south of Olds and Red Deer. Neither loco moved for about three days. Note the St.L& H branding ( St. Lawrence and Hudson)

post-10673-0-50565100-1310264067_thumb.jpg

Both looked work worn and may be of use to modellers wishing to "weather" their locos. Note the beaver medalion brand on 8218

post-10673-0-27326600-1310264231_thumb.jpg

Neither locos have the "hazard stripes" painted on. The black tank wagon behing the St & H loco is branded "molton sulphur"

If this works I'll add some more.:pleasantry:

post-10673-0-22628400-1310264676_thumb.jpg

"Are they GP9s?" The honest answer is, I do not know. Canadian locos all look the same to me except some have 4 axels and some have 6 axels. Some are red, CP, some are black with some red, Canadian National ,some are blue (from a leasing company) Sadly I am a complete ignoramus on the subject. From the CP loco roster website it would appear that they are indeed GP9s from their running numbers. As CP and CN fans will know more about the subject than I do, perhaps they could add some comments. Again as Canadian rail fans will know their trains are enormous, 112 grain hoppers, 170+ multimodal container wagons and endless potash tankers from Saskatchewan to Vancouver. Some trains take about 4 minutes to pass a single point. Fantastic railway and haulage power.

They are both GP9s but, as you can see from the roof fans, they have slightly different configurations (EMD = Every Model Different). 8245 has single large fans front and rear, while the other one has twin smaller fans (one with a frost hatch - the big rectangular thing). Both have dynamic brakes (the bulge and fan in the middle).

Adrian

Archived