Post a Bargain! (no discussions / questions) (was Bargain Hunters)

• RMweb Premium

Thought this thread should re-appear on the latest incarnation of RMweb. It would be a shame to miss out on a chance to save some of our hard earned cash!

If a similar thread has already appeared elsewhere or this is deemed to be in the wrong forum / sub forum, please move or delate it as appropiate. If it is in the right place any chance of making it a 'sticky' please biggrin.gif

So come on bargain seekers, let us know what's out there!

For locals I'm afraid.

Ikea Croydon has the pleasant habit of providing bins full of damaged furniture bits outside their store with a notice to "Help yourself!"

Apart from the possibility of free furniture ;):rolleyes: this is a good source of baseboard materials etc.

Maybe other stores do the same. Lakeside doesn't appear to.

For locals I'm afraid.

Ikea Croydon has the pleasant habit of providing bins full of damaged furniture bits outside their store with a notice to "help yourself!"

Apart from the possibility of free furniture ;):rolleyes: this is a good source of baseboard materials etc.

Milton Keynes doesn't either - they dump it in "not so" Bargain Corner.

For locals I'm afraid.

Ikea Croydon has the pleasant habit of providing bins full of damaged furniture bits outside their store with a notice to "Help yourself!"

our local ikea has a bargain section but its things like was ??350, now ??330.... i dont think ive seen anything in there was an actual bargain

our local ikea has a bargain section but its things like was ??350, now ??330.... i dont think ive seen anything in there was an actual bargain

Lakeside and Croydon usually knock about 30% off, sometimes more. There's usually some damage, but that's why it's there in the first place.

They usually do good deals with obsolete items, when the new catalogues come out.

• 2 weeks later...

For locals I'm afraid.

Ikea Bristol has this at the bottom of the escalator that runs from the till area to the car park. Not noticed any complete furniture in there but quite often there is a good supply of large sheets of the chipboard they use.

On another note, TK Maxx in the centre of Bristol has recently had the odd Hornby Skaledale item in. Yesterday evening there was a single R8708 Loading Chute for ??10 - same price as Hattons has it but you don't have to pay for postage.

• 3 weeks later...

There was a thread on this on the previous RMWeb.

Basic bits are an electrostatic fly swat, about a fiver or even less from Home Bargains or similar stores, a metal sieve small enough to use around the layout and ideally with a plastic surround to avoid stinging your fingers and a few bits of stranded electrical cable.

Remove the swatter from the fly swat, attach the sieve to the handle by any means possible and connect the power output from the handle to the metal gauze of the sieve using the cable.

Sorry if the description is a bit rudimentary but all the fly swats are slightly different so the execution differs between them but the basic principle is the same for all - get power to the metal gauze containing the flock fibres which charges them.

Alternative is Green Scenes do a neat one produced using the same principle for about ??35

• RMweb Gold

care to share that one?

There are several sites that describe the making of static grass applicators;

COUNTY GATE - ELECTROSTATIC GRASS,

Static Grass Applicator on Fotopic,

and a series of 3 videos from thebige61 on YouTube, they can be found under "Playlists".

Regards

Hi - On Tracks bargains section - New Hornby Maunsells for around ??12 each plus a few other reduced OO gauge bits

Chris

ViTrains:

37201 Triple Grey Train Load Metals ??35

47768 Resonant Res ??47

(A couple of other liveries too for approx ??5 more)

There are also some Piko Electric & Diesel locos & one EMU at what look like very good prices (some less than ??30), though I don't know what they usually sell for.

DJH are still offering their BR Standard Class 4 for ??49.00 (half price) plus a selection of their continental outline models at similar % discounts: http://www.djhmodell....uk/special.asp

'Fraid they're not. I ordered one online yesterday, but had an email back today saying they had no stock and no immediate plans to produce any more. I asked why it was on the website, and was given a feeble excuse that "Our site is a large website and we run 3 of them from our office. We do try to keep it current."

:icon_rolleyes:

Geoff

Maplin has on offer for ??9.99 each.

Digital caliper, temperature controlled soldering station, mini drill with accessories and extra accessories for the drill. LIDL have drill accessories too - cheaper.

• RMweb Gold

I have made one of the static grass applicators with a Maplin's Fly Swat and a tea strainer. I have added a lid by using one of the popular chewing gum pots,

I cut the pot just below the screw section of bottom part of the pot:-

post-6784-12599404020397_thumb.jpg

Then the top part of the pot can be taken on and off as required. You also have a lid on the pot so you don't have to remove it when refilling:-

post-6784-12599399452943_thumb.jpg

The actual pot can be very useful for holding ballast and the small lid is just the right width for laying ballast between the rails!

post-6784-12599404129847_thumb.jpg

Peter

If you request their mailing list then you will receive a daily email telling you what the offer of the day is. You can do this via the link at the bottom of their hiome page. Details of the offer also appears on their website for a short time. Today's offer is the Bachmann J72/4MT 60th anniversary pack for ??89.50.

Roddy

For locals I'm afraid.

The ikea store in ashton-under-lyme also has a damaged section, offering cheap items for sale

Archived