The railways of Ben Ashworth country.

Forest of Dean locos and models

How about a thread for our models and/or layouts that relate to the Forest of dean?

I'll start it off with a few pics of my locos.

Steve Beattie O Scale Class 22 kit, finished as regular Forest loco D6320, which was based at Gloucester Horton Road in the late '60s. The model build was mostly covered on the 'old' RMweb.

Class22Finished015-1.jpg

Class22Finished012.jpg

Class22Finished013.jpg

The headcodes are typical of the trains from Marsh Sidings, Parkend, according to photographs.

Here's a pic of it hard at work on my O scale Shunty-plank called "Withyn Reach"; there's a thread about it buried somewhere here on RMweb, too. My lad likes O scale as it's easier to see and rail vehicles than in OO, and he likes doing the couplings too! His taste in road vehicles is sightly inaccurate for 1960's Britain, though!! :)

17-04-10_145152.jpg

My Class 14 is "work in progress" at the moment, but this is the state of play so far...

Class14K1.jpg

Class14K4.jpg

Class14L02.jpg

Those are my locos. I have a Heljan Hymek, but AFAIK they never went to the Forest; I'd also like an 8750 Class Pannier Tank, and a Class 37 (37 270; the last loco to pull a BR train out of Marsh Sidings, 7th May 1976) but O Scale is rather beyond my finances at the moment, so they will have to remain 'pipe dreams' for now...

Anyone else got models of stock from the Forest?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I'm starting to number some of my P4 locos as ones that ran in the FoD, even though 'Travellers Rest' is some way off being started just yet. My re-work of an old Bachmann pannier into 8701 was on my workbench thread on the old version of the forum. I'll put some photos up at some stage. A few more panniers are planned or in the pipeline, plus a re-working of a Bachmann 45XX to that which occasionally worked in the Forest.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a Forest layout in the early 1990's, and I've dug out a few pictures. It was 0 gauge and ran round a bedroom, the main line did three circuits of the room and went through a tunnel to complete the circuit. Other than the support legs, the baseboards werew built from corrugated cardboard stuck together with a hot glue gun, which was fine in a heated indoor room and for a permanent layout. The track was Peco and control conventioanl DC...no DCC in those days. I called it Bream Road; it had a station building based on Speech House Road and an S&W signal box & goods shed. The pub behind the station was the 'George' from the Coleford branch which features in one of Ben Ashworth's photo's which has always inspired me. The period was supposed to be the 1890's but it was always pretty flexible...the 1F tank 1720 is in the post 1907 MR black, but as it worked on the Dursley branch I wanted a model of it.

The layout lasted about five years...then I met a lady and suddenly layouts in bedrooms weren't allowed! I sold off all the loco's and stock and haven't built a Forest model for myself since, but it's been nice looking back for a few minutes. Here are some pictures:

6004248041_3c2d11eb01_z.jpg

6004793754_62f7a63088_z.jpg

6004248085_83c7a157ca_z.jpg

6004248105_77df87f267_z.jpg

6004247981_4716e5a1e5_z.jpg

6004793692_849e44e9aa_z.jpg

Peter

• Like 7

The layout lasted about five years...then I met a lady and suddenly layouts in bedrooms weren't allowed! ...

What is the strange power they wield over us to make this happen..??!!?? :angry: :help: <_<

What a nice layout and stock you had, and quite an early period to model too!

I recognise The George pub :yes: AFAIK it's now a private house and has been extended.

The P.O. wagon liveries are nice too; at one time I collected 4mm P.O. wagons with Forest - related company liveries, plus of course the Bachmann Berry Wiggins tankers, which despite the London address on them, were a staple traffic from the Bitumen plant at Whimsey, near Coleford, until the end of Steam. I sold the collection to help fund my O Scale adventures.

According to the 'news' section of David Andrew's website he's considering doing a re-run of the two Severn & Wye Rly locos in 7mm scale that have not been available for a while.......but only IF there is sufficient interest.

Cracking layout Pete :clapping:

Here are a few pics of Clinkerford, based on Cinderford and other locations in the Forest. Clinkerford will be having its last outing at Manchester show in October. More pics available on www.johndarch.com

post-7952-0-60234000-1312637520_thumb.jpg

post-7952-0-94739500-1312637545_thumb.jpg

post-7952-0-96080800-1312637573_thumb.jpg

post-7952-0-16309400-1312637605_thumb.jpg

post-7952-0-26122500-1312637641_thumb.jpg

post-7952-0-23646900-1312637669_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

Very nice!!

The Station looks like a mirror image of Cinderford, except for the approach, which was the same right-hand curve, IIRC?

Fourth picture down (the first "white shop"), looks like the Post Office at Whitecroft, at a guess?

Very nice!!

The Station looks like a mirror image of Cinderford, except for the approach, which was the same right-hand curve, IIRC?

Fourth picture down (the first "white shop"), looks like the Post Office at Whitecroft, at a guess?

Correct on both counts!

John

• 4 years later...

Looks like it's been a long time since anyone has been here with models specific to the Forest, whilst going through my collection of rolling stock I found this gem I purchased a long time ago purely due to the Forest of Dean link for that layout based in the Forest I will eventually get to building one day a few projects in front of it though.

A nice livery on a 3 plank. Easter Iron Mines of Coleford Gloucestershire "Forest of Dean"

It would be interesting to know what other RTR models have been done can be hard to track down Down Under.

That's Australian $$ by the way

post-14985-0-16889700-1438957547_thumb.jpgpost-14985-0-28430300-1438957571_thumb.jpg

End of the box in case any one wants to try tracking one down.

post-14985-0-61785600-1438957612_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

I am experimenting with focus stacking with my pictures at the moment. This is an early attempt.

2015-08-31-12.33.23%20ZS%20DMap_zpss9ola

Plus I have been pondering wether or not to mention this - but this layout is featured in the October Railway Modeller out this coming Thursday 10th September.

• Like 3

Plus I have been pondering wether or not to mention this - but this layout is featured in the October Railway Modeller out this coming Thursday 10th September.

Danmn right you should mention it! Well done and very much deserved, I shall look forward to seeing it.

Danmn right you should mention it! Well done and very much deserved, I shall look forward to seeing it.

Aye, nothing like blowing your own drum or banging your own trumpet.

Or something like that.......................

Just think, in 30+ years time, someone on here will say -'does anyone remember that lovely N scale FoD layout in the Modeller around 2015?'

• Like 1

Aye, nothing like blowing your own drum or banging your own trumpet.

Or something like that.......................

Just think, in 30+ years time, someone on here will say -'does anyone remember that lovely N scale FoD layout in the Modeller around 2015?'

I would be surprised if anyone says that in 6 weeks time.

Why I pondered about mentioning it at all was that I have a morbid fear that folk will be really pleased for me - but like the way your work colleagues are really pleased for you when your company car gets upgraded. :scared:

• 8 months later...