rails of sheffield

david heath

Sad really as we are not 'Supermen' We call it the Amazon Effect!!!!!!!!!!!

Agreed.  Sadly, the general public do not seem to be able to distinguish between the one man band (or similar) style business and the worldwide corporations, and for some bizarre reason expect, or at least presume that all businesses, whatever their size, are backed with an army of staff or/and a fully automated warehouse system.  No sense of reality.

Not so. Hattons issue email confirmations for order placed, order processed and order despatched.

All I can say is I placed an pre-order for the Pride of Sussex, one of their commissions, and when I said I assumed they would send me an e-mail confirmation I was told by the person who dealt with my order that they would not send me one.

Just costed up some pre-orders that I have elsewhere, and I could save £30 @ Rails.

Hmmm...I might just run a test purchase to see how things go.

OK, I did see some problems with the search. It seems to run on OR rather than AND logic, hence adding search items broadens the search rather than restricting it. It might be possible to circumvent that, not sure. I like the filters (which seem to be missing from Hattons), so I can remove the chaff (wrong gauge, etc.), it it's not totally intuitive.

But the thing that stuck me in the end was the postage. This is not given upfront (unlike many other sites). You give your Paypal details, and then they add the postage afterwards. And it's how much???? Fortunately, the refund process was pretty painless! But I should expect to know what the final cost will be before signing off. Once bitten...

All I can say is I placed an pre-order for the Pride of Sussex, one of their commissions, and when I said I assumed they would send me an e-mail confirmation I was told by the person who dealt with my order that they would not send me one.

Why do you need an email confirmation?

Just go to your account and all the details are there.

Bernard

Yes, I've just looked at some of my pics, and the bracket slopes upward from under the headlight.

There are five shots of the loco on the second page of my website at   https://www.flickr.com/photos/51265696@N03.

John.

I found some other photos and i agree they look upside down LOL

But they look Ok.

Thanks for getting back.

Yes, I've just looked at some of my pics, and the bracket slopes upward from under the headlight.

Not so sure that I agree. This is a pretty good shot, showing that the bracket is horizontal, with an upward-sloping support, which is what Ian showed in #259

https://farm6.static.flickr.com/5639/30337249732_9818fb48dd_b.jpg

30337249732_9818fb48dd_b.jpg

• RMweb Premium

So the Bell is too big, and the support it too long! I guess trimming both would be a good start!  First off what is with the 'barrel' part of the bell. It should basically be flaired throughout its entire height.

It just looks odd to me. A pair of Pink fluffy dice would look SO much better.

How do you get free postage? It doesn't offer me that option at the checkout.

I got mine through an email from them on Monday which had a link and offered free P&P, i think i signed up for their newsletter a while back. But i can't even find the bells or that 66 on their website only an N gauge one maybe they've sold out?

I got mine through an email from them on Monday which had a link and offered free P&P, i think i signed up for their newsletter a while back. But i can't even find the bells or that 66 on their website only an N gauge one maybe they've sold out?

Yes, they seem to have been pulled from the website. Or maybe they pulled them as they look little like the real thing.

These bells were posted on another thread and look like the real thing:

http://www.modelshopleeds.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=14568

I've just fitted to one end the bells that Rails of Sheffield are doing for 66 719 those in the know is the bracket holding bell sloped from under headlight their appears a silver plate on it?

attachicon.gifbell3.png

post-7440-0-42172700-1518621207_thumb.pngattachicon.gifbell1.png

Thanks for the pictures, I've also got this model but won't be fitting the bell set as everything about it just looks wrong to me IMHO.

• RMweb Premium

Not so sure that I agree. This is a pretty good shot, showing that the bracket is horizontal, with an upward-sloping support, which is what Ian showed in #259

https://farm6.static.flickr.com/5639/30337249732_9818fb48dd_b.jpg

30337249732_9818fb48dd_b.jpg

The upward slope is an optical illusion caused by the cab front around the windows being raked back. Edited by brushman47544

Anyone else find Rails current web-site a right PITA to navigate/search etc, often everything but what one's looking for comes up !  their old site worked far better, why fix/change what wasn't broken  ? 

Agree completely. I've even sent them multiple emails with specific feedback on what is not working - emails that have been ignored completely.

Hate it.

One example, search for GWR, narrow to steam locomotives and carriages - "32 results". Yet the page shows 64, some of them repeated. Even though my "personalisation" is set to oo gauge, and the filters show only 32 x oo gauge, nothing else - the results show a combination of n, oo, and o gauges.

The relationship between the personalisation options and what gets shown is a complete mystery. If I click on the bargains button I see there are only 12 to choose from. No idea if that is restricted because of my options?

I've been going back to Hattons - easier to navigate.

Don't have so much of a problem finding stuff I search for but my personalised opening page today (and always) is full of stuff I am not interested in.

Today it was the Hornby 800, Dapol 142, Railroad diesel bargains and a Dapol O gauge Jinty - not bad when my preference is 1923-1947 OO gauge.

A bit of work required methinks

• 2 weeks later...
We are pleased to announce that Richard Scanlon from Kidderminster was the lucky winner of our 2018 Range Pre-Order Prize Draw! 

**He has won £500.00 worth of Rails Gift Vouchers! **

Many thanks for everyone who placed a pre-order and entered the draw.

Look out for more competitions soon

post-31247-0-48791700-1519920278_thumb.jpg

• Like 3