310 replies to this topic

#301 Gwiwer

Gwiwer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,469 posts
  • LocationUpon a Hill of Strawberries

Posted 09 June 2018 - 09:37

With the current high-profile campaign regarding single-use plastics I accept that these airbags might be made of recycled material but, other things being equal, my business is more likely to go to places using paper packing. Rails is among those.
  • Agree x 1

#302 roundhouse

roundhouse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,575 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 09:50

If you pop it, it doesn't amount to much.

And you have also recycled the air in them!
  • Like x 1

#303 Chamby

Chamby

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 428 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 09 June 2018 - 10:48

If you pop it, it doesn't amount to much.

Really? Add in all the other stuff that you feel the same about. Then multiply that by 7.6 billion people.

Rails are definitely doing the right thing here and we should be encouraging them.

Phil

#304 Steamport Southport

Steamport Southport

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,156 posts
  • Location27C

Posted 09 June 2018 - 12:33

Really? Add in all the other stuff that you feel the same about. Then multiply that by 7.6 billion people.

Rails are definitely doing the right thing here and we should be encouraging them.

Phil

We should start recycling those people then as they are the problem. Not a little bit of plastic.

Soylent Green anyone?

Jason

• Funny x 1
  • Agree x 1

#305 rob D2

rob D2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,144 posts
  • Locationswindon,uk

Posted 09 June 2018 - 16:41

Possibly, but are you also hand wringing at the use of plastics in your models ?....
the use of fossil fuels to import them.....you driving to the model shop.

This sort of consciousness has no logical end

Edited by rob D2, 10 June 2018 - 08:10 .

• Agree x 4

#306 YorkshireLad

YorkshireLad

Registered Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationGods County

Posted 16 June 2018 - 18:13

Today me and my uncle went to Rails for the 1st time since the new 2nd hand area was reopened. I could have spent hours in there, I love it

#307 fodenway

fodenway

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationBarnsley Yorkshire

Posted 04 July 2018 - 21:47

Today me and my uncle went to Rails for the 1st time since the new 2nd hand area was reopened. I could have spent hours in there, I love it

I'll have to give them another try. I've been in to Rails quite a few times over the last ten years or so, and spent quite some time being ignored whilst staff chat amongst themselves or to a friend/regular customer. I've enquired about their secondhand stock before, and been dismissed with a brusque "you'll have to look on our ebay site". Not my favourite shop, unfortunately. 

#308 woodenhead

woodenhead

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,366 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 22:37

I'll have to give them another try. I've been in to Rails quite a few times over the last ten years or so, and spent quite some time being ignored whilst staff chat amongst themselves or to a friend/regular customer. I've enquired about their secondhand stock before, and been dismissed with a brusque "you'll have to look on our ebay site". Not my favourite shop, unfortunately. 

I went once when I happened to have a spare day in Sheffield, i was similarly disappointed in my visit as the shop area (at that time) was small.  What I realised was actually, the internet is actually a better medium for displaying trains - no glass reflections, excellent definition of photos and I could blow them up bigger if I wanted - in the shop I couldn't really see the models.

Getting back to the shop, clearly Rails have recognised their shop front didn't match the expectations of visitors and have done something very positive about it with the new showroom.

It should also be noted that Hattons had a similar set up - whilst Smithdown Road had quite a lot on display it was never the full stock, the new showroom had a lot less on show but I believe they are now also doing a Rails with a new showroom as people have been making similar noises about face to face interaction.

#309 knowlesey 2013

knowlesey 2013

Registered Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 20:14

Ive bought lots from these guys never had a problem
  • Agree x 1

#310 Gwiwer

Gwiwer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,469 posts
  • LocationUpon a Hill of Strawberries

Posted 11 July 2018 - 11:39

I don't often purchase from Rails though have absolutely no issue with them - far from it their service is excellent.  But today I was alerted to the current crop of bargains which includes some Oxford Rail carflats at less than £20 apiece.  A browse around the major competitors offers nothing terribly close to that price so I have a couple promoted from the wish list to on order.  

#311 Talltim

Talltim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,965 posts
  • LocationChesterfield

Posted 11 July 2018 - 12:48

Just popped in today, the new showroom looks amazingly. Quality shop fitting, everything nicely presented, trains running around the ceiling and a very simple and clever use of buffers as stools that I’m amazed I’ve never seen before (although it probably has been done before). All in all kinda the model rail shop equivalent of the stereotypical toy shop in American films. The staff member was friendly and explained the second hand vs new price labels. Thumbs up all round.
Unfortunately this time I was looking for second hand junk for bashing into 7mm narrow gauge like they used to have, but I can understand why they have stopped doing it, the turnover is slow and the margins small.

Edited by Talltim, 11 July 2018 - 12:51 .

• Like x 1