rails of sheffield

david heath

Hi. Thanks for your messages and feedback. We will be working through them along with other website feedback and making necessary changes.

Currently a lot of work is going into improving the search so I will address all search issues and hopefully we can iron out the issues.

Thanks

Oliver

post-31247-0-87636500-1505569115_thumb.jpg

*COMPETITION*

Watch our latest YouTube video of the Bachmann 31-577 Windhoff MPV and SUBSCRIBE to our YouTube channel for you chance to win a Bachmann 31-577 Windhoff MPV!

Existing subscribers will automatically be entered.

The winner will be announced 1st October 2017

• RMweb Premium

Concur with others regarding the Website. This week I was seeking to place an order for 10 of the new Heljan class 26's. Given this is a £1k investment, I searched on pretty much every model railway website around the country to seek out the best price.

Typing 'Heljan Class 26' into Rails site generates 1891 'results'. While the first 3 are indeed Heljan 26's (old green liveries) the 4th and 5th hit is for Gaugemaster Scenic Shovelling Snow, followed by various Canadian models.

I've placed my order, but it's not with Rails. How many others are giving up because they can't quickly find what they're looking for.

Concur with others regarding the Website. This week I was seeking to place an order for 10 of the new Heljan class 26's. Given this is a £1k investment, I searched on pretty much every model railway website around the country to seek out the best price.

Typing 'Heljan Class 26' into Rails site generates 1891 'results'. While the first 3 are indeed Heljan 26's (old green liveries) the 4th and 5th hit is for Gaugemaster Scenic Shovelling Snow, followed by various Canadian models.

I've placed my order, but it's not with Rails. How many others are giving up because they can't quickly find what they're looking for.

Hi, Thanks for your message. 

I have taken a look into this and actually we do actually only have those three Heljan Class 26 locomotive left in stock, so the search did actually make a good match.

The newly announced class 26 locomotives have not yet been added to the site, I will be doing this shortly.

The reason that the Shovelling Snow appeared was because the code is BD-26 so it has matched on the 26.

We have a fantastic search engine but fine tuning is still needed. I agree it should not be bringing back 1891 results although the filter on the left hand side would soon filter these down.

Like I said previously we are still spending a lot of time on the search and it will be improving all the time

Thanks for your feedback and sorry we could not supply you this time. Maybe next time.

Thanks

Oliver 

Edited by Oliver Rails

• 2 weeks later...

I have just found out to my horror that Rails will not be prepared to send a loco that I have ordered to South Africa by courier (DHL) and only use Parcelforce. Does anyone who lives overseas have any experience of Parcelforce? Are they similar to DHL?

Unfortunately due to our dreadful postal service couriers are the only safe option. Even Royal Mail Signed For can't be relied upon.

Edited by daftbovine

• 3 weeks later...

I have recently received an email from Rails telling me that the price of the Hornby R3538 H class in SECR livery has gone up from £89.50 to £97.50 whereas it is clear from the Hornby H class topic that Hornby are still honouring their pre-order prices.

It is too late for me to cancel the order as it seems to have sold out everywhere else so I have accepted the price increase.

I have just found out to my horror that Rails will not be prepared to send a loco that I have ordered to South Africa by courier (DHL) and only use Parcelforce. Does anyone who lives overseas have any experience of Parcelforce? Are they similar to DHL?

Unfortunately due to our dreadful postal service couriers are the only safe option. Even Royal Mail Signed For can't be relied upon.

I concur as I live in Cape Town. DHL pick up from Hattons Tuesday afternoon and I collected from the DHL depot at the airport.

I must add a few of the DHL staff were star performers. Guy at the depot when I phoned to collect upon checking said the parcel had not been released by Customs bug would phone back two hours later. Ten minutes later a DHL employee phones from Johannesburg to say parcel released. I pick up said parcel into my car at depot and the DHL guy phones saying parcel is ready. Good service there.

By the way daftbovine (silly moo?) the SA post office have told me that there is a four week backlog at JHB.

By the way Parcelforce is NOT like DHL. It uses the SA post office. I have a Parcelforce packet hopefully stuck at JHB because that is where the tracking ends and no SA Post Office tracking number is currently available.

attachicon.gifNSS10566.jpg

NEW SHOWROOM UPDATE.

Work has continued on the new showroom. The underfloor heating has been installed and the wall coverings fitted. Slowly starting to take shape. More updates will be added shortly.

The existing shop is open as normal so why not pay us a visit!

https://railsofsheffield.com/contact-us

Don't know what it is with that picture, but I got a severe attack of vertigo when I first glanced at it.  Even now I know what it is, it still gives the impression of looking down a lift shaft!

In what way? They are a worldwide courier service for parcels just like DHL and DPD, but owned by Royal Mail.

I used to work for them sorting parcels BTW.

Jason

I think what Daftbovine is saying is that in South Africa we do not see Parcelforce vans and uniformed staff. Their parcels are delivered by the South African Post Office I.e. Collect at SA Post Office. DHL like UPS have their own employees in their uniform and branded vehicles that make the deliveries and own depots, I collected my parcel yesterday from the DHL depot at Cape Town airport.

• RMweb Premium

Don't know what it is with that picture, but I got a severe attack of vertigo when I first glanced at it.  Even now I know what it is, it still gives the impression of looking down a lift shaft!

I thought they'd accidentally fitted the floors to the walls  :O  :jester:

Probably the use of a wide angle lens, the narrow but long room and the angle of the wood panelling on the walls, I felt the same when first looking at it.

• 2 weeks later...

I popped into the Rails shop on Wednesday, my first visit in over 15 years and it has come on a lot!

The purpose of calling in was to return a Hornby TTS King bought mail order that was dead as a dodo. I was very pleased with the service, an immediate offer to replace and full test of the replacement. Whatever reservations folk have expressed about TTS, a quality loco with sound has to be a serious bargain these days for £109.

John.

• Like 1

Yes I popped into Rails a fortnight ago for the very first time en-route to the Peaks with a load of stuff I no longer had a use for (mostly pre-DCC locos which I cannot be ar*ed to hard wire with decoders). Was like going into a sweetshop with lots of chocolates - wife had to drag me out before I spent all the housekeeping. Was made very welcome too.

• Like 3

Absolutely excellent service. I had an issue with payment and the extremely kind staff at Rails Of Sheffield were kind enough to hold onto my order whilst I sorted out my credit card. It surely is 5-start service. They go to all ends to make customers happy.

Customer Service: 5/5

Pricing: 5/5

Thank you Rails Of Sheffield for the prompt, kind, honest and top class service.

Cheers!

• Like 1