Who are OO Works and what do they make ?

I have just read in the Hornby magazine that OO Works will be releasing a Midland 2F 0-6-0 soon. I have never heard of this company and I cannot find them on the internet. Who are they and how do you view their products ?

I have just read in the Hornby magazine that OO Works will be releasing a Midland 2F 0-6-0 soon. I have never heard of this company and I cannot find them on the internet. Who are they and how do you view their products ?

Produced as "limited edition" batches probably as a one off.

Most of the production had been Southern related until a L&Y saddle tank 0-6-0 and now the Midland 2F 0-6-0 tender loco.

Reviews are good, but purchase is definately not a "boxshifter- order and deliver tomorrow" type operation. You contact the owner arrange your payment and wait. The batch is produced (several different versions and liveries) and your investment is delivered.

They have a good track record for making RTR models, mostly of the small locos very necessary for a realistic steam layout, which the large RTR manufacturers do not cover very well. I have only knowingly seen one of their loco products in action on a layout, and it was to 'good kit build standard' if that means anything to you, and looked like the prototype as seen in photos, (as I never saw the real thing .) Ran sweetly, pulled well, the owner had added some detail and was planning to do more. As already mentioned, the production is in small batch runs, so if there is something you really want announced and the price is affordable, go for it.

Personally, the moment they do something small appropriate to the Southern division of the LNER / BR ER, my order is going in (provided that it isn't something I have already built satisfactorily )...

• RMweb Premium

I have one of their 'Black Motors' (LSWR 700 class) and it's a sturdy model. It's not unlike a kit in that it is mainly made of heavy metal parts, I think the only major plastic component is the tender top. The detail is lacking a bit, and the tender connection was fairly wide, plus the pickups were of the 'split between tender and loco either side' variety (not unlike the way Lima diesels had a split arrangement between the bogies). Personally, I probably wouldn't buy from them again unless it was of a model not available in any other form (kit or RTR) as I feel I can do a more thorough job with a decent kit where I have choices over pickup arrangement, livery, detailing, etc.

It should be added that they are very pleasant and easy people to deal with if you phone them, but they have closed their website I think, which was useful for looking at their range of past products and gaining a better idea of what they do.

It should also be said that it is extremely difficult for any small producer to compete with the quality of the modern, laser-scanned, computer-designed and chinese-produced models from the large manufacturers.

But if you want one of their models you need to order one fairly early as they sell out quickly. It is all but impossible to find them secondhand and if you do you may have to pay the new price and more.

• 5 months later...

I completely agree that a website in this day and age should be considered an essential part of business - but remember that in our hobby we are dealing with a lot of small 'cottage industries' and even more 'run from a back bedroom, shed or garage' type businesses, often run by just one person, and if either their level of trading is sufficient for them to cope with or they just aren't technologically minded, I suppose it's better for them to spend their limited time developing new products than messing around witht hime and money on a website?

FWIW, I too have heard good reviews of OO Works, and wish I could get one of their Adams Radial tanks, but that's another story.

They do have contact information here: http://ukmodelshops.co.uk/suppliers/40630-OO_Works so it might be worth a phone call after the new year break as they may have some images available.

2378_l.jpg

I have one of Roderick's Class 700 0-6-0 and it is rather good. For £190 it is an absolute bargain as it is a fully finished handbuilt kit with Markit wheels, whitemetal body and a strong drive train. If I purchased a similar DJH kit plus all the bits, I would not have much change from £150, so an extra £40 for building and painting is worth every penny.

The loco is reliable, it required running-in (normal for a handbuilt loco) and it is far better than the old BEC kit of the 700.

I found dealing with OO Works to be a pleasure and I recommend the models, if only as a purchaser.

Tim

What an excellent looking 700 class, Tim! As they say in Oz, Beauty!

A friend of mine had the 00 Works 2F on order for several years but when the price went over £200 and, no doubt, the Bachmann 3F was announced - he decided to cancel it! So, there was at least one additional one 'available' for a while.

If it ends up like Tim's 700, I'm sure it would be worth it.

Cheers,

John E.

I have one of Roderick's Class 700 0-6-0 and it is rather good. For £190 it is an absolute bargain as it is a fully finished handbuilt kit with Markit wheels, whitemetal body and a strong drive train. If I purchased a similar DJH kit plus all the bits, I would not have much change from £150, so an extra £40 for building and painting is worth every penny.

The loco is reliable, it required running-in (normal for a handbuilt loco) and it is far better than the old BEC kit of the 700.

I found dealing with OO Works to be a pleasure and I recommend the models, if only as a purchaser.

Tim

I do like the look of that 'Black Motor'.... I've got some limited experience of OO Works products from running a friend's 'L' 4-4-0 and 'C' 0-6-0 at exhibitions and club nights, and I'd definitely agree with your assessment- very nice locos to run.

If I'd been able to justify the cost in the present climate, I'd have had no hesitation in ordering the 2F

I have a Midland 2F. As Tim says above, it needs a lot of running in. Mine has had several hours running round our club layout at a brisk pace and, while it is getting better at the slower speeds it is still not fit for the really slow speeds needed for shunting. They have recently announced the next loco to be a round-topped 2F but I am holding off ordering until the present one has had some more running in. It's loco pick-up, tender return btw.

Why would they use this method ? It seems overly complicated.

Actually it's quite simple, there are no wiping contact to act as brakes on the wheels. All that is needed is a plastic drawbar to insulate the loco from the tender. Problems only arise when you couple two such locos together unless you use plastic buffers.

Archived