Penhallick Junction

treggyman

Welcome to Penhallick Junction which will be my latest attempt to capture rail operations sometime between 2005 to 2009 in Clay Country Why these dates? Well this was the period that I went on several ' Jaunts ' in the Par StBlazey area taking as many pictures as possible of the rail operations of the time. Although freight operations were not as frequent as in earlier times ; the 37's had just gone & I never saw class 60 in action,there was still quite a variety of freight to be seen. Obviously there were the daily trip workings to Fowey from Parkindillack & Goonbarrow + loaded wagons from Burngullow which included the Silver Bullets & traffic for the EWS Enterprise service.Scrap from the new loading point in StBlazey yard,if you were lucky you could see the Moorswater cement come to Par to run round as the train was too long to be run round at Liskeard which brought Freightliner locos in to Par & latterly there is the Freightliner hauled Burngullow to Angerstein Wharf sand train.Not forgetting the weekly Long Rock Oil Tank train;the last regular freight to run west of Truro.Also GBRF had the contract to haul materials when Penzance Staion had a track renewal.And then there's the annual rail head cleaning train which for a couple of years featured Rebecca & Demelza. On the passenger front First Great Western changed livery's twice,Wessex trains had a wide range of unique liveries as well as the 158's they brought in from Central trains & Arriva trains.the takeover of First Group of the Wessex franchise which brought in yet more varied liveries for their class 158 / 150 / 153 fleet. I've missed out Virgin (now Arriva)trains voyagers as well as the weekly Sundays only South West Trains 159 trip to Penzance.Then on summer Saturdays there were GNER & Midland Mainline HST sets to Newquay plus steam & heritage Diesel specials,some terminating at Par (for the Eden Project) & others going through to Penzance. Then there are the Infrastructure trains............ As you can see there was nothing to see.........well it obviously wasn't a continuos stream but there was quite a lot to see if you knew when to go. One day I'd love to have the space to do Par Station but I don't have the room at present.So I have ' imagined ' something ' on the Newquay Branch,nothing like any of them but an amalgam of Goonbarrow , Treviscoe/Parkindallick with a bit of Burngullow thrown in plus Par Harbour/StBlazey. I've built the base boards & laid the track & am starting the scenics,some pics below. Above is the track plan.Hope it makes sense. post-7844-0-02989100-1311799848_thumb.jpg post-7844-0-96879300-1311799487_thumb.jpg post-7844-0-86283100-1311799656_thumb.jpg post-7844-0-98175200-1311800179_thumb.jpg Just a few pictures of how the layout is at present.Thanks for looking & if you've any questions I shall be pleased to answer if I can.

• Like 3

Thanks to Mickey & Clay Country for their comments on my project. Yes there does seem to be a great interest in clay train workings etc, but my aim is to show that there was a lot more than CDA trip workings in the area around Par. The freight movements I mentioned above plus the variety of liveries Wessex applied are testimony to this. For example ,I wanted to model all the liveries of Wessex 158's; I've got 11 (ELEVEN) 158's & that does'nt cover all variations .The same goes for 150 & 153. Anyway.just a quick note on construction ; The baseboards are 6mm ply tops on 12mm ply support bracing .The 12mm ply obviously on edge.The support members are 100mm deep as I now use tortoise point motors exclusively .More expensive than Peco or similar , but as I build my own points , a far gentler action ensures less damage to the point.The other advantage is that it is easier to build scenes where the ground level is below the track to give a more realistic picture .The supports have lots of holes cut in them, for ease of passing the wires through & also to reduce the weight . I brace on the diagonal underneath , as the pictures show , as I find this stops any tendency to twist , which I did have a problem with when I previously braced at right angles.The tops are pinned & glued & the end result is a lightweight , strong baseboard. post-7844-0-11802800-1311969239_thumb.jpg post-7844-0-39930000-1311969390_thumb.jpg As for the scenic base, I use extruded polystyrene ( styrofoam) or similar for the raised areas,a lot less messy than expanded polystyrene & easier to sculpt,& for the areas below track level a wire mesh base with plasterboard self adhesive joint tape on top coated in thistle one coat plaster.I'm sure polyfilla or similar would do the job equally as well.I made the mistake of using some old joint filler but it would'nt go off,so I had to rip it off & start again. post-7844-0-34640200-1311971331_thumb.jpg post-7844-0-54876500-1311971613_thumb.jpg I will post more as I progress but summer? means lots of outdoor jobs so progress may be slow.Any comments/criticisms/questions are welcome as I enjoy feedback.

• Like 1

No criticisms so far....Its looknig good and I like to see a layout on the bare bones as it were :)

I agree there is a lot more to Par than a few CDA trundling up and down - I worked ther for the best part of ten years so anything Mid Cornwall is always good in my book, and "modern" is even better

Hi MICKEY Thanks for your comment.Any info that you could add would be most welcome. I've just spotted your thread 'Western Region in the 70's & look forward to following your progress.

• RMweb Gold

Looks like a great project. Like you I also have found that diagonal bracing is the answer to avoiding twist. For space reasons I use framing only 34mm deep to support 6mm ply but it is quite sufficient. I have to mount the totoise motors differently because of the shallow frames.

If you are in Clay country perhaps the white one-coat plaster would be better?

Don

Looks like a great project. Like you I also have found that diagonal bracing is the answer to avoiding twist. For space reasons I use framing only 34mm deep to support 6mm ply but it is quite sufficient. I have to mount the totoise motors differently because of the shallow frames.

If you are in Clay country perhaps the white one-coat plaster would be better?

Don

Hi Don Thanks for the response. I would certainly be interested in knowing your method of mounting tortoise point motors,obviously not for this project,but I have another layout in mind for which shallower baseboards would probably be beneficial, As for the plaster ,it is white, it's just that for some reason when I took the photo the light has made it look browner. I have since painted it brown as it will be a grassy field when I've finished & when I flocked it on the non setting joint filler,although it looked fine from above,if you looked from the side( a child's view) you could see a lot of white showing through. I shall certainly be using it neat for the 'concreted ' yard & surrounding works areas. Cheers Bill

Looking good Bill,I will follow this with interest having always admired the pace at which you carry out your modeling, I've been building the same layout for 32 years now and still nowhere near finished, but maybe thats the way I like it. Geoff.

Looking good Bill,I will follow this with interest having always admired the pace at which you carry out your modeling, I've been building the same layout for 32 years now and still nowhere near finished, but maybe thats the way I like it. Geoff.

Hi Geoff Thanks for the comment ; the reason you've not finished has probably got something to do with the very high quality rolling stock & scenic items that you make,which must take time. Bill

Yesterday was spent doing a bit of ballasting ,adding the bridge & the embankment leading up to it.First the bridge...For most of my buildings/structures I use a base of Corex faced with embossed Plasticard or similar.I sometimes use Wills sheets but because of their smaller size I tend to only use for smaller structures. post-7844-0-63839100-1312227894_thumb.jpg Above is a shot of the hole that the bridge will hopefully disguise.Below are a couple of shots showing the basic structure. post-7844-0-06499200-1312228132_thumb.jpg post-7844-0-15141700-1312228239_thumb.jpg The next stage is to clad with Plasticard.The detail bits,ie coping stones & the line of stone above the arch ( I don't know what this part is called) are 'O' gauge slaters & the individual stones around the arch are individual stones cut from plasticard. post-7844-0-43802800-1312228773_thumb.jpg post-7844-0-83248700-1312228886_thumb.jpg A quick spray in Halfords primer...I used to use the plastic version but the last can I bought seems to spray a very thick coat of paint so I have gone back to using the standard version. post-7844-0-48692600-1312229215_thumb.jpg post-7844-0-37653500-1312229314_thumb.jpg A top coat of a variety of colours & washes of acrylic paint set it in place with the embankment & there it is ,the first fixed scenic detail.It will need weathering in but I shall do that later . post-7844-0-93917400-1312229886_thumb.jpg Ballasting is a mixture of methods.Around the moving parts of points & any where that I want to be particularly accurate I use the method as described in a past edition of I think Railway Modeller by Tim Maddocks as used on his inspirational layout ENGINE WOOD ,ie paint P V A glue between the sleepers making sure you don't get it anywhere it is not wanted.Apply ballast,wait 'til dry then hoover off excess.For the rest I use the spread the ballast & soak method. post-7844-0-22101400-1312231085_thumb.jpg post-7844-0-02477500-1312231298_thumb.jpg post-7844-0-33141600-1312231527_thumb.jpg Well thats all for today,as usual any feedback,comments questions or suggestions would be most welcome... Bill,

• Like 1

looking good, what are you going to use for a back scene?

will

HI B954673. Thanks for the comment, The backscene ....Hum.I have considered three options.First is to paint it a pale blue colour as I have done previously,Although acceptable this method does not give any depth. Second is to use a create a computer generated picture for the backscene.The downside to this is my ability to create one & how to seamlessly joint the sheets so as to hide the join.The third is to accept my wifes offer to paint one,though she seems to have forgotten that she offered.The upside is a seamless backscene.the downside is that this method doesn't always look very real& can detract from the impression one is trying to portray.I suspect a combination of tw & three will be the final result with a temporary coat of blue paint while I decide. Bill

Guest oldlugger

This is all looking very promising Bill, with nice track work. Looking forward to more progress photos.

All the best

Simon

The bridge is looknig nice and local :)

If the layout is set more towards the Par area rather than up at Goonbarrow, a few dozen trees would be good for a backscene.....

Hi Mickey.Thanks for the reply;You are right,the scene around,for example.Ponts Mill would be heavily wooded.What I may do is cheat a little & have a wooded backscene behind the road leading to the bridge (on the left as you look at the layout) but have a more Industrial moonscape on the middle section.I did a site 'visit' backalong & was inspired to try & capture the scene around Treviscoe/Parkindillack/StDennis.Its a shame I don't have more depth to the baseboards as I would like to incorporate some aspect of the typical Cornish housing of the area.This is where the backscene may come in,a shame really as I enjoy modelling buildings.Keep the replies coming as it makes me consider aspects that I had not considered.Thanksvagain ........Bill.

Hi Arpleymodeller & oldlugger,....Thanks for your comments,greatly appreciated.I have done bits & bobs to the layout tonight as the lady wife is baby sitting the grandkids but hopefully I shall have some time tomorrow to do some major work on the layout & post the progress in the next couple of days,

Hi..Today I have done a bit to the approach road to the bridge. post-7844-0-88601600-1312742598_thumb.jpg Above is how it looked.Today I have finished putting down the road surface & covered the embankment prior to flocking etc.For the road surface I have used a fine grade sandpaper sprayed with aerosol car primer & stuck down to the surface.I've not tried this method before on roads;I've used it successfully on platform surfaces though.The advantage is that it should be less prone to chipping & white plaster marks & the consequent difficulty in matching the grey & filling the hole. post-7844-0-93313900-1312743284_thumb.jpg post-7844-0-39080300-1312743409_thumb.jpg post-7844-0-95705400-1312743536_thumb.jpg post-7844-0-13748200-1312743685_thumb.jpg post-7844-0-17940600-1312743787_thumb.jpg Instead of using paper I use cheap 'J' cloths cut in to strips to make the papier mache.A liberal coating of strong,nearly neat P V A glue painted to the polystyrene former with subsequent strips glued on with more of a 50/50 P V A mix.This is my nephews method & it gives a good,strong but lightweight surface as a base for the scenery.Finally a coat of cheap brown ( or green ) paint & leave to dry thoroughly.Next stage will be layers of flock. post-7844-0-55188600-1312745042_thumb.jpg The other job today was a bit more work on the Signal Box.I started building this a couple of months ago before I got my railway room back.It is based on Goonbarrow box with the ends reversed.I used pictures from the internet & scaled it from known standard measurements. post-7844-0-96468900-1312745396_thumb.jpg post-7844-0-24099200-1312745520_thumb.jpg post-7844-0-58480300-1312745610_thumb.jpg The plan is to install lighting so I have had a bash at making internal fittings,see below: post-7844-0-66344000-1312746044_thumb.jpg post-7844-0-84215500-1312746156_thumb.jpg Well thats all for today,hopefully I'll get abit more done through the week.As always,any suggestions / ideas / critiscisms always welcome.....Bill

• Like 6

Good to see that you are making some steady progress Bill.

I like the track plan and the space around the track, plus the scenic bank at the front.

Hi mudmagnet............Thanks for the comment.....One of my future jobs is to more fully detail the signal box interior.Your superb detail on Orchard Road has inspired me to & I may even need a coathanger for the signalmans coat as well as the paper....

• Like 1

"I have done bits & bobs to the layout tonight as the lady wife is baby sitting the grandkids"

glad to be of help! was a good night, still feeling a bit delicate.

Hi,

hope you're feeling better now....

sadly thats the effect of falling down juice..

see you soon