Southern / BR(S) Product News

burgundy

Bachmann's Shillingstone buildings look rather nice, and I am still short of a r-t-p station building for my purposes.

Another posting on the Forum mentioned East Budleigh, and a quick glance at my Middleton Press "Branch Lines to Exmouth" shows similarities between Dorset Central and the Budleigh Salterton Railway.

Not exactly the same but a credible fiction.

PB

Listed below are some more recent releases which may be of interest to Brighton and Southern modellers.

4mm Loco kit – RT Models

RT Models have recently released a 4mm scale kit for the Manning Wardle old class I locos. It consists mainly of etched nickel silver for the body and chassis with whitemetal parts for the various detail parts, including the smokebox, boiler and firebox. There are also lost wax brass parts for those that should be brass on the loco, including the safety valve covers.

The variations covered include E.B.Wilson fluted safety valve cover, GN style safety valve cover, D shaped and round smokebox doors, plain small and large flared coal bunkers, MW tapered buffers, straight shank buffers and extended wooden dumb buffers.

The kit provides for four cab variations with a weatherboard, a standard overall MW cab and those appropriate for Colonel Stephens' Morous and Siddlesham from the Hundred of Selsey Tramway.

The kit is now available for £72 plus £3.20 p&p. and wheels, motor and gears will be required to complete.

Just in case the Selsey Tram is not on your modelling agenda, similar locos operated for the Newhaven Harbour company (Wave and Bradford), Sharpthorn was used to build the Bluebell Line and another Manning Wardle was owned briefly by the Brighton itself in the early days of Stroudley.

www.rtmodels.co.uk

…........and while we are on the subject of 4mm scale locos, there is a strong rumour that another kit for the very early period is on its way. If a kit for a Sharp single is to your taste, start putting the pennies aside now!

4mm and 7mm scale loco kits ACE Products

News from ACE Products is that the C.2X kit is also available as a C.2 kit (on application). This applies both in 4mm and 7mm scales. The cost of either kit in 7mm scale is £139.99 and in 4mm £99.99

There is also now a kit in 0 gauge for the King Arthurs with 3,500 gallons tender which were built for the Brighton line. This is priced at £189.99

ACE are also able to offer a service to provide any of our 0 gauge kits Ready to Run. Prices and conditions for this service are available on application.

2mm scale rolling stock – Etched Pixels

Latest releases from the Etched Pixels range in 2mm scale are a series of Billinton 6 wheeled coaches. Now available are the six wheeled brake third (with duckets), six wheel brake second (with duckets), and coming shortly is the six wheel double ended brake. All are priced at £9 per vehicle.

4mm scale bits Dart Castings

Dart Castings are producing 4mm scale white metal castings available (to order) based on those on the Bluebell Line station building chimney pots, and the spindles from the original stained glass porch. Price on enquiry.

4mm carriages (and possibly 7mm)

Ian MacCormac is working on a series of etched coaches, to enable the construction of all the early Brighton Boat Trains, the City Limited, excursion sets and some of the other sets that are illustrated in the book E J Bedford of Lewes by John Minnis. Many of the vehicles are already available from various sources, but the first two gaps to be filled are likely to be the diagram 42/84 6 wheeled lav/compo and the diagram 18/141 Stroudley 1st saloon. Next should be the diagram 23 and 24 2nd class saloons. Others will follow.

Initial production will be to 4mm scale, but 7mm scale etches may be made available if there is interest.

Test assembly is also in hand for the Slaughter 0-6-0 outside framed goods loco.

Best wishes

Eric

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A belated thanks to Eric for his excellent update above.

For completeness it is also worth adding the announcement this week by Model Rail Magazine of there latest locmotive commission with Dapol being the USA 0-6-0 Tank. See the RMweb thread here and / or further information on my own blog here.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Pre-production livery samples of the SR Black and the BR black versions of the eagerly awaited ex SECR C Class 0-6-0 were released by Bachmann a short while ago now and can be seen on the Bachmann website here.

Having had the chance to see and handle the pre-production samples I can say as models go it is a cracker.

post-243-0-96409400-1341833623_thumb.jpg

The livery application for the complex SECR liveried version was always going to be a challenge and I am sure that some people out there did/do not think Bachmann would be able to pull it off. I am pleased to report that having looked over the livery sample at the weekend they have managed it with aplomb.

• Like 6

Another bunch of stuff for Brighton Modellers

Dean Sidings 2mm scale locos

At the London Festival of Model Railways at Ally Pally, there was a part completed master for a 2mm scale E4 on the Dean Sidings stand. Dave Slater of Dean Sidings said he was reproducing a few of his 4mm kits in 2mm and the E4 would be next and available in a few months.

Worsley Works already produce a very nice E4 'scratch-aid' etch for a 2mm E4 which is a good test for your soldering skills but is without castings.

Etched Pixels 2mm carriages

The Billinton double ended brake is now released. That will probably be it on LB&SCR stock for this year as the effort will be on some LSWR block set coaches.

http://www.etchedpixels.co.uk/index-southern.html

Etched Pixels

106 Walter Road, Swansea,

Wales, SA1 5QQ

2mm and 4mm scale wagon sheets

Fair Price Models are advertising wagon sheets in 2mm and 4mm scales to be downloaded and printed at home. There is some question about the accuracy of the font and the ampersand that has been used.

http://fairpricemodels.co.uk/ upload/index. php?route= common/home

(apparently only trading through e-bay)

4mm scale carriages and loco bits

EBM now have available a small etched fret to add to Roxey's Stroudley 6 wheel 26' full centre-ducket brake van to change it to Billinton's early higher roof profile one that lacks the waist loop panels. Diagram number is believed to be either 46/221or 76/132.

As illustrated on the EBM website, lost wax cast brass centres for 4' 6" Stroudley carrying wheels which will take steel tyres should be available soon. 6' 6" and 6' 9†single drivers to follow shortly.

e-mail to <a href="mailto:mike@mjwsjw.co.uk">mike@mjwsjw.co.uk

7mm scale carriage stock – Roxey Mouldings

Dave has two 7mm scale kits left for the Stroudley six wheel mail van. These are available at £85.00 plus £3.00 P&P instead of the usual £110.00. This kit and the 4 wheel clerestory mail van will only be repeated to special order at full price. First come first served!

e-mail: dave@roxeymouldings.co.uk

7mm scale coaching stock – Ragstone Models

Ragstone Models will shortly be introducing the dia 82/253 covered carraige truck and the Bullion van to dia 79/230.

Both kits will be etched brass with pre-formed brass roof with mainly lost wax brass fittings. Kits include sprung buffers & couplings. Wheels, paint and transfers needed to complete. Expected price £60.00

www.ragstonemodels.co.uk

7mm scale loco fittings – Alan Gibson

Many of the former Sans Pareil range of loco fittings are now available from Alan Gibson. There is a lengthy list of items of Brighton interest.

Best wishes

Eric

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Dapol will be announcing its plans for their the programme for the rest of this year and 2013 in 2mm, 4mm and 7mm scales at 9.00am tomorrow (Wednesday 18th) Andy will be posting the full annoucement elsewhere on this forum and I will be posting the details of any items of Southern Railway / Region interest at 9.00am also on my blog at See my blog at http://grahammuz.com...-related-items/

The full annoucement (for those interested in stuff from other railways) and discussion can be found in the Dapol section of the forum here.

Edited by Graham_Muz
Direct link to blog added
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

More news about really useful Southern stuff..

4mm scale - EBM – Wheels and stuff

Mike Waldron's current efforts (see http://www.mjwsjw.co.uk/) are directed towards development of

1. Brass centred, steel tyred 4' 6" Stroudley carrying wheels

2. 6' 6" single drivers - as above

3. 6' 9" Grosvenor drivers similarly produced

These will be available in P4 or Manchester standards EM and priced at around £3 per wheel.

Possible etched 4mm scale carriage bits

Alan Doherty of Worsley Works (http://www.worsleywo...group_LBSCR.htm) now has details of a diagram 99 composite. These vehicles were often used as trailers with some of the push-pull sets. If anyone else is interested, get in touch with Worsley Works to give a bit of encouragement.

3 D printed 4mm scale carriage bits

Mousa Models have been experimenting with 3D printing as a means to produce various railway items and one of those shown as “in preparation” is a Brighton 54' carriage underframe with bogies - see http://www.mousa.biz...rts/lbscr4.html.

7mm scale locos, rolling stock and signals

Meteor Models will be producing occasional batches of the Stroudley D2 in 7mm, formerly a Sans Pareil kit and at the time of writing they have one left in stock with a Craven tender priced at £182.00. They are working on a reissue of the Sans Pareil C1 and B4 kits, which they hope to have ready in 2013. The Sans Pareil Stroudley Single is being redesigned and will take longer.

Also at the time of going to press they had 1 Stroudley Cattle Wagon for sale at £39 but they do not intend to reissue this kit again in the future.

Modellers in 4mm are spoilt by the range of signal parts offered by EBM but in 7mm there is only a kit for the post 1900 signal. A possible supplier is being tapped up for a kit for a 7mm signal with a slotted post for the pre 1900 period.

7mm scale rolling stock (and possibly also 4mm scale)

Ragstone Models now have the 82/253 CCT and 79/230 Bullion van available, priced at £75.00 each. The specification includes etched brass with pre-formed brass roof, cast brass springs, buffers, couplings & air pipes, cast whitemetal axleboxes, air cylinder & brake blocks, turned steel buffer heads & pre formed brass wire grab handles.

Future possibilities include a 4mm version of the six wheel horse boxes & possibly a 4mm water crane.

http://www.ragstonemodels.co.uk

7mm scale Ready to Run

Dapol have announced a 7mm Terrier locomotive and have laser scanned ‘Freshwater’ on the IOW railway to provide an accurate starting point. The company is hoping to cover most of the variations!

Given the amount of work that remains to be done, no delivery date is available at present.

Best wishes

Eric

• 2 weeks later...

Just too late for the last posting, I hear that Albion Kits have now released their kit for a Terrier. It is to the same etched brass format as their other Brighton locos and will require the usual additions of wheels, motor, gearbox, paint and transfers. It should cover all variations of Terrier, including the IoW variants, the 2-4-0T motor fitted version and the A1x. Price is £75 over the counter from Roxey Mouldings at shows, or by mail (with P&P costs) either from Roxey or direct from Albion.

Best wishes

Eric

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the updates above Eric, Much appreciated.

It has also been highlighted by Paul in this thread here that Cambrian Models have now released their kits of the SR Borail wagons available as both Diagrams 1598 and 1599 first introduced in 1937 and 1946 respectively.

Edited by Graham_Muz

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

My apologies for not doing this sooner (I clean forgot to be honest) but for the sake of the record details of the announcement of the Hornby 2013 releases from an SR / BR(s) perspective can be found on my blog here along with the update to change of the planned release of 34046 to 34108 here

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone know when the R4538/7 Maunsell Open 2nd (3rd) will be available. It's been available in converted form for a while now in the push pull set, but not as the separate loose coach.

ISTR an email from Hattons suggested July this year. The success of the pull-push set has prompted Hornby to re-run those in 2013, which may have contributed to this single vehicle being pushed back in the delivery schedule.

• RMweb Gold

Here is a list of the SR / BS(s) related 2012 releases that have been delayed to this year and their new dates advised by Hornby.

R3107 BR T9 30313 Lined Late Crest – TBC
R3115 West Country original air smoothed “Exeter” – January
R3129 SR Class M7 – April
R3136 Class 73 Network Rail – January
R3137 Class 73 Pullman – June
R3143 4 Vep – June
R4534A BR Push Pull Coach pack – June
R4537 SR Unconverted Open 3Rd Class – June (note: not really “unconverted” but in original form)
R4538 BR Unconverted Oped 2Nd Class – June (ditto above!)

Unfortunately Hornby cancelled T-9 #708 (Narrow splashers) Southern Black with water cart tender. Still a little bitter about that as it was the perfect model with only a renumber to 717 required to fit my 1946-47 Padstow roster. I know I could still troll Ebay and repaint but that is a lot more trouble.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hornby International have announced via their Arnold brand an N Gauge Brighton Belle set to be produced in the British 1.148 scale rather then the more usual continental 1.160 scale.

A discussion thread about it appears here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/66488-brighton-belle-in-n/

Also my take on this can be read on my blog here

Unfortunately Hornby cancelled T-9 #708 (Narrow splashers) Southern Black with water cart tender. Still a little bitter about that as it was the perfect model with only a renumber to 717 required to fit my 1946-47 Padstow roster. I know I could still troll Ebay and repaint but that is a lot more trouble.

Hello Ken,

In principle I am in complete agreement. I thought at the time of the announced cancellation that it was a completely unnecessary and unforced error by our chums at Margate. However, there is a flip side. For substitution purchases I bought a second special edition Bachmann N Number 1860 from "The Signal Box", and a Bachmann Wainwright C Number 1256 from Liverpool. Both in utlity black with "Sunshine" font, both DCC ready, both easily chipped, and both superb runners without rubber tyres.

You could run a Wainwright C into Padstow, should you wish. As long as you did not photograph the event, no one would ever know, and no one here would snitch.

Be well

PB

You could run a Wainwright C into Padstow, should you wish. As long as you did not photograph the event, no one would ever know, and no one here would snitch.

Be well

PB

Hi Peter,

I did think about one of these (Wainwright C Number 1256) myself but decided against it as it never went anywhere near the NCR. I bought the pretty one instead, 1, because it looks a beauty, and 2, I might just about get away with it on a 'Preservation Day'

Ray.

• Like 1

Be well

PB

That was almost too much of a dare

post-6958-0-76938700-1357851848.jpg

It almost looks like a Drummond 700/Black Motor....and I may have to lay a temporary 3rd rail for the 2BiL.

post-6958-0-99556600-1357851877.jpg

Edited by autocoach
  • Like 1