Spinners End

Mike

Well some photos of the layout with the fiddle yard in place and the front panel down. Now I can get on with the scenic work and fine detailing. You can just see the Daily Prophet being read by the seated passenger, along with Snapes, Weasleys and Harry the Porter -often cloaked in secrecy.

Mike :stinker:

post-185-0-30530700-1330946302.jpg

post-185-0-43343100-1330946324.jpg

post-185-0-87391500-1330946342.jpg

Following JSW's vehicles for New Street, I have been busy anglicising an Opel Truck. The steering wheel and controls moved to the right side,split screen, number plates, wing mirrors and different headlights Oh! and a rear bumper.

I'm in the painting stage and I'll post photos soon. It is to become a coal lorry I hope.

Mike

Somme very unkind close-ups of my well worn Mortin truck, a cross between a Morris and an Austin (converted Opel). It really does look better in the flesh- honest.

Mike

post-185-0-11109100-1331288049.jpg

post-185-0-47391400-1331288062.jpg

Somme very unkind close-ups of my well worn Mortin truck, a cross between a Morris and an Austin (converted Opel). It really does look better in the flesh- honest.

Mike

Mike,

Is this conversion of a 1/48 scale plastic kit? I have done a similar thing myself with a Japanese lorry.

Alan.

Mike,

Is this conversion of a 1/48 scale plastic kit? I have done a similar thing myself with a Japanese lorry.

Alan.

Yes it's an Italeri Kit which I've stretched a bit by adding to the cab height but not the width.

Mike

Yes it's an Italeri Kit which I've stretched a bit by adding to the cab height but not the width.

Mike

I thought it was, I had seen this kit myself and will probably look to do something with one soon. It's a great pity that there are not really many "affordable" options for 1/43 scale lorries/buses etc.

Alan.

Well just a quick update, a simple scene blocker "Cedrics Hollowware" the idea being to fill in the background with simple very low relief structures etc. This build is just a piece of ply with plasticard overlays although the windows are glazed not just stuck on. It has not been fixed in place as there is still a lot to do.

Mike

post-185-0-23864600-1332070451.jpg

post-185-0-75567100-1332070464.jpg

post-185-0-31070400-1332070476.jpg

Very nice Mike.. :)

I've been meaning to ask, the layout looks outside, brick wall and plenty of light suggesting that it is, if so have you had any problems and does it have cover from the weather?

Pete

Its portable and only outside for photos and play.The scenic section folds up into a box including the legs and the fiddle yard is a separate board.

Mike

post-185-0-40937800-1332335902.jpg

My thoughts have turned to lighting the layout, it needed to be lightweight easily fitted and transportable. So as I had plastic tube, bits of ply, washers and brass rod I've come up with this. This will fit into a socket on the end of the layout and a similar unit only with two lights will fit on the fiddle yard end providing light for the layout and fiddle yard. I have hopefully made the lighting head resemble a railway lamp so that its not just a spotlight on a pole. It still needs sanding and painting but the photo's should give you an idea of what it will look like.

post-185-0-89364000-1332762121_thumb.jpg

post-185-0-59370400-1332762140_thumb.jpg

post-185-0-84317400-1332762157_thumb.jpg

Mike

Will it pass the PAT inspectors ?

Well it should do, it's fully insulated, earthed, protected by a 3amp fuse and utilises fittings that passed inspection by the NEC on previous layouts.

Mike.

Just found this old photograph whilst having a tidy up. It shows Earl leaving Spinners End on an Earl of Dudley Himley Fete Special. You can see the bars across the drop lights on the coach,there to stop unsuspecting passengers being

decapitated.

post-185-0-14452300-1333211485.jpg

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all, just a photo of the area the layout is set in I thought it might be of interest as it shows what goods are generated for rail traffic. Iron, brick,

tiles and of course coal.

post-185-0-56499500-1335216784.jpg

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a bit of a down time while the weather has been pants but, I have at least sorted out one of my pannier tanks which sat to high and had a nose down appearance. I had to modify the compensation beam and remove a couple of plastic spacers now all is well. I acquired this loco as a part built one through the executor and trustee section of the 0Gauge Guild for the princely sum of £60 so for just a little work I consider it a bargain.

post-185-0-07353300-1336044870.jpg

Mike

Busy building walls, well a wall, this will fit against the backboard between the engine shed and Snapes. I'm also making an alteration to the shed line and fitting an ash pit, nothing like leaving things alone. The wall will have a fire iron rack which is being fitted before putting in to place on the layout.

Mike

Guest Jim Read

Hello Mike,

The layout looks great can't wait to see it at Shepshed, I like the way it folds and the complex looking track fed from just a 3 road sector plate, reely grate! I would like to ask about the lighting; that looks like a GU10 fitting, can you let me know where you got it from and do you use the 50W mains lamps or LED ones.

Cheers - Jim

Hi Jim, the light fittings have been cannibalized from a 3way ceiling unit and still use the 50watt mains bulbs. I have been giving the lighting a lot of thought and will be reworking it so that I can use a lighting pelmet to frame the layout when I finish the unit I'll post some pictures.

Cheers-Mike

Archived