Spinners End

Mike

Guest Jim Read

Hello Mike,

Those wagons look absolutely great I'd love to know where you got the transfers from.

Jim

Hello Mike,

Those wagons look absolutely great I'd love to know where you got the transfers from.

Jim

Hi Jim, the transfers are some old Model Masters applied letter by letter and set with Solvoset. The Constable Hart wagon's tarmacadam and Brierley Hill in 8 point are labels which were coloured the same as the wagon on the computer and printed. The edges were then painted with the body colour and the whole wagon sprayed with Matt Varnish from Army Painter.

Mike

My B4 0-4-0 Dock Tank ex Southern Railway purchased 2nd hand in 1949. 5 of these saw service at Stewart and Lloyds until 1953. I have massaged the history as per usual and had the loco transferred to Round Oak and the Earl of Dudley's system. The loco is built from an ABS kit powered by a mashima 1833 through a 30:1 gear box and fitted with plunger pick-ups.

post-185-0-94104500-1342363114.jpg

post-185-0-21622400-1342363151.jpg

post-185-0-10599200-1342363172.jpg

Oh and and some vans

post-185-0-32776400-1342363260.jpg

post-185-0-64525900-1342363269.jpg

Mike happily bodging in the shed.

Just finishing off my Manning Wardle L class 0-6-0ST (1923). The body is only resting on the chassis as I shall be adding some additional weight to it. The Driver is obviously expecting trouble as he is holding a large spanner presumably to give some part a good whack. The actual loco was named Winston Churchill rather than my choice of name Albion. The loco has been built from an Agenoria Kit powered by a Mashima Motor and fitted with wiper pick-ups.post-185-0-88980400-1342713183_thumb.jpg

post-185-0-14745100-1342713203.jpg

Mike - bodging in Solihull.

I do like these little M&W tanks. You have done a lovely job of this one. I am surprised to see it without the usual M&W wheels.

By 1961 the wheels of this loco appear to be as modelled.

Mike

Today has been all about buckets, fire irons, warning boards , adding grass clumps to fill in a few holes and a loading gauge. The Manning Wardle is now finished and runs like a sewing machine.

Mike

A complete change of tack or should that read track? After reading a very informative article on the Gauge 0 Guild forum by Mike Sheardown on modifying Peco Points I have decided to have a go. I have a right hand 0 gauge point in stock which has that really obtrusive switch assembly molding next to the tie bar. I have modified the frog as per the article,(no more wheel drop) removed the switch molding which has resulted in rebuilding three sleepers, just waiting for a new tie bar from C&L to complete the exercise. Photo to follow.

Mike, now with a tidy work bench.

• 2 weeks later...

Am just reading it now - fantastic article. With a selection of photos that illustrate not only how deceptively simple the track plan is - but also how much operational interest you have in the given spaces and an incredible eye for detail to make the entire scene 'just right'.

~ Gary

Had an uninvited guest arrive in the shape of the dreaded electrical short bug! Thank goodness the layout folds in half and I can work on the underside whilst seating down and not scrabbling underneath. The irony of it all is that the short was on the top of the layout so having pulled prodded, unsoldered, re-soldered the culprit turned out to be a bridged gap on a copper-clad sleeper on one of the points, fine one-way short the other, now fixed. I have also been playing around with information sheets that will be added to the front fascia, the map of the area is already done, but then I thought lets have a ticket to ride, already clipped by the Guard.

post-185-0-55457800-1344252334.jpg

Cheers

Mike- bug remover. :triniti:

Looking at the pictures of the layout in the Gazette, the ground frame is pretty poor so its about to go. I have just started a Lasercraft Llantsantffraid Box which has a very small footprint so it won't occupy much more space than the ground frame it will replace. I'll post some pictures over the weekend.

Mike - back to bodging in the shed. :scratchhead:

• 2 weeks later...

Oh joy upon joys, playing trains with 0-4-0's, tomorrow it will be the turn of the 0-6-0's and peace will reign supreme. Still not happy with the lighting so a re-think is needed, curtains in the capable hands of SWBO once finished they will be fireproofed.

Mike one happy bunny. :boast:

There are good days and there bad days and sometimes however few there Eureka days,well today has been a EUREKA day!!!!!! Have finally sorted the lighting, Hooray. The criteria set was that it had to be simple, foolproof, easily transportable and set up and of course in my case idiot proof. I really do think that I have achieved same, its robust, simple just like me and it works. Photos to follow.

Mike, smug so and so in Solihull :sungum:

"Lights, camera, action", well just lights really. Here is my take on a very simple lighting rig that I can handle on my own should I have no other operators for the layout.

post-185-0-95913400-1346591634.jpg

post-185-0-27284300-1346591653.jpg

post-185-0-54286300-1346591675.jpg

I hadn't set the lights at their optimum angle this was just a " do they work" moment in an unlit garage.

Mike :drag:

Today has been mostly about display boards " he said tongue in cheek", When I say display board what I actually mean is an add on to the front panel of the fiddle yard. It now requires painting and the the information scribbles added. Hey Ho, life doesn't get better than this.

Mike.

Not the best of photos but here's the Earls only Brake Van which was used only on Passenger traffic. Why it was numbered No 4. I really don't know I can only surmise that it was a sort of one-upmanship suggesting to all that he had more than just one.

post-185-0-89408600-1347203259.jpg

Mike bodging in Solihull

Archived