Class 144/143 Project Up-Date

charliepetty

REALTRACK models support Welsh modellers with new and old (Class 143) units!

Except I'm modelling the WCML north of Stafford, not the South Wales valleys! That said, I'm probably going to get me an Arriva 143 and pretend it's working a breakdown replacement!

Have you got a DC Kits 304 yet!

Yes, plus the TC to make up into a four car banger blue unit. I'm going to cheat though and mount the bodies on redundant Mk1 coach chassis as I don't trust myself to assemble a square evenly rolling underframe, plus it will save a lot of time!

I do need to buy some interiors though!

Ive just put an order in for one of the first models,,,any news on delivery?

We are going through the proofing stages at the moment, a decorated Northern Abellio sample is here and is looking good, we await a Metro Red & Silver one! the chassis (working) sample has been tested here and we are working on the Circuit Board & DCC options now, Chinese holidays are in January so we don't expect and big developments before February, we are hoping for 2nd Quarter, fingers Crossed!!

We are going through the proofing stages at the moment, a decorated Northern Abellio sample is here and is looking good, we await a Metro Red & Silver one! the chassis (working) sample has been tested here and we are working on the Circuit Board & DCC options now, Chinese holidays are in January so we don't expect and big developments before February, we are hoping for 2nd Quarter, fingers Crossed!!

Cool I know about their holidays when I used to work in Hong Kong, a whole month for new year,,,and very little work out of the workers a few weeks before ,,Ive got the Abellio model on order off your DC Kits site :)

......the chassis (working) sample has been tested here and we are working on the Circuit Board & DCC options now.........

Are you going to be brave and be the first British outline manufacturer to adopt the PluX connector?

20 odd decoders available already (10 sound and 10 non-sound), plus there's a likelihood that availability of decoders for the now (effectively) defunct 21-pin connector will start to become more scarce over time.

You could play safe and use an 8-pin socket, but that's past its sell-by-date and only provides 3 functions off the socket. Any more independent lighting functions that you put in to the model, will require wires to be soldered when fitting a suitable 8-pin decoder.

Then again, back to the 21-pin connector, there's the very useful TCS EU621 6-function decoder. Decisions, decisions????

p.s. Any chance suppression capacitors can be wired into a blanking plug arrangement, so that they are removed from circuit when the blanking plug is replaced by a decoder?

p.p.s. Is the socket going to be accessible without having to remove the body?

Its not always the 'Best Option' to be first with anything! Fitting a PluX connector is a good way of future proofing models but I find that general customer feedback is that 'They are confused today between 21 & 8 pin' without confusing them more!

Answer me this: Which European manfacturers fit PluX as standard today?

We have thought of this option but sometimes 'Playing safe' is the best option, the problem is we are not called Bachmann or Hornby, well known names with a reputation that is known! We are always asked 'do Bachmann make your trains for you'. To adopt a radical DCC option, even though sound in principle without others offering this, may not always be the best option from a sales point of view.

Thoughts please. Charlie

Its not always the 'Best Option' to be first with anything!

I can understand that, looking at it from your particular perspective Charlie.

Fitting a PluX connector is a good way of future proofing models but I find that general customer feedback is that 'They are confused today between 21 & 8 pin' without confusing them more!

Paradoxically, the PluX system is meant to overcome that sort of confusion, 8 or 21 pin etc.

One type of socket can't be any less confusing.

Answer me this: Which European manfacturers fit PluX as standard today?

Roco and Fleischmann for starters. Nearly, if not all the brand-new items announced for 2011 were listed with PluX connectors. That excludes re-releases of previous models (new liveries, new running no.'s etc).

If I remember correctly, at least one of the other well known brands have done similar. AFAIA, Trix haven't yet (not surprising as Marklin were a leader in the 21-pin move), nor Liliput.

It's interesting to note that there appears to be more decoder fitted and sound fitted models than just DCC ready in last years list of new releases.

Some of the new models already announced for 2012 are having PluX connectors as well. It's still early days though and this will gather momentum as new models are released each year.

Zimo are known to be supplying decoders to Roco/Fleischmann for their DCC fitted items, so there's no cheap bargain basement chips going in to their RTR.

To adopt a radical DCC option, even though sound in principle without others offering this, may not always be the best option from a sales point of view.

I can perfectly understand that.

Charlie:

Based on the assumption that the motor and pcb will be carried through your range would a Plux replacement pcb be a better option for future proofing if the motor and light wire can be on connectors onto the pcb so its a simple swap.

Try explaining all that to the Chinese! Motor hoping to standardise but! the Chinese have a habit of sourcing what is availble not always what you want!!

Archived