Scaleforum 2011

Flymo748

Here's some more pics of the viaduct from the weekend, and thanks again for all the nice comments, makes the effort all the more worthwhile.

Long view of the whole thing with some of the information display panels in the foreground

post-6669-0-99101300-1317121451_thumb.jpg

Some more general shots before opening and taking advantage of the sunlight through the window (first two with 2 x 4CEP)

post-6669-0-27226700-1317121327.jpg

post-6669-0-16966300-1317121337.jpg

post-6669-0-08924100-1317121346.jpg

Highlandman posted earlier some excellent shots through the piers below, http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/42899-scaleforum-2011/page__view__findpost__p__495370

Some hastily added vegetation at the London end

post-6669-0-15123800-1317121342.jpg

post-6669-0-13916600-1317122346.jpg

Mike Ainsworth's J class looking very much at home

post-6669-0-65903800-1317121363_thumb.jpg

AyJay Models' 2HAL ('Tin HAL') and 2BIL lost on the viaduct

post-6669-0-28993900-1317122431.jpg

and the hybrid BIL/HAL 2100

post-6669-0-04218700-1317121428_thumb.jpg

Also part of the demonstration was one of the new build Eridge baseboards

post-6669-0-09941400-1317122615_thumb.jpg

post-6669-0-47696700-1317122591_thumb.jpg

Guest oldlugger

Very nice work Rod! I wish I could have seen the model at Scaleforum but I live too far away. Have you thought about the third rail side of things yet and the components you'll use? I'm glad it's not me installing all the insulators, feeds and side protection boards! Good luck with it all...

Cheers

Simon

Very nice work Rod! I wish I could have seen the model at Scaleforum but I live too far away. Have you thought about the third rail side of things yet and the components you'll use? I'm glad it's not me installing all the insulators, feeds and side protection boards! Good luck with it all...

Thanks Simon. Third rail will use Scalefour Society/Exactoscale insulators and the scale section conductor rail to go with it. That should keep me off the streets during those long winter evenings! There aren't any side protection boards on the viaduct, although there will be some on Balcombe station and Lewes of course - this will either use a plastic or wood strip concoction or I might try some of the C&L brass ones, I haven't experimented yet. There are however check rails on the viaduct, either in the form of two rails fixed to the sleepers in the four foot, or at some time bullhead rail on its side fixed outside and just higher than the outer running rails. We'll probably do the former. As for feeds (the real ones) I get the impression that the third rail is continuous all the way across - unless someone knows different - so that won't be too much of an issue. Model droppers will be soldered to the underside of the rail before fixing and run under the ballast to the ends of the threaded studding that holds the piers and arches together, to be collected underneath by bus wires.

Guest oldlugger

Hello Rod,

I like the sound of the check rails; as with the third rail that will keep you out of the pub for sometime! It took me a whole day to put in mine over a fraction of the length of your viaduct. The various EMUs you have all look interesting too; do these use P4 Black Beetle motor bogies? I have a No Nonsense Kits Bullied 2 EPB waiting to be built in P4 which is a rather nice kit. This will use a Black Beetle motor bogie and coach wheels like my P4 converted Bachmann 2 EPB.

Actually, I've just noticed that you've got some temporary OO gauge track in place on the viaduct with at least one unit running on it, so I presume this model and maybe the others still need converting to 18.83mm?

Cheers

Simon

Hi Simon

The 2BIL and 2HAL units are not ours, they were demonstrator units of the new AyJay models sold through DC Kits and have single piece resin bodyshells. These had Tenshodo bogies, which for me didn't have enough grunt - I would use Black Beetles. These were in 00, as were the CEPs, which have yet to be converted.

• RMweb Gold

Rod -

In your opinion, how good are the AyJay EMU "kits"? I've not seen one in the resin, so to speak, and it's a fairly hefty investment / punt to trust a single piece resin moulding for fidelity and finesse....

John

I didn't see any of the unmade ones, but on the demonstrators I just had the feeling that the roof detail looked too 'moulded on' (inevitably) and to me they suffered from lack of flush glazing. But to be fair other than that not bad looking at all, though I haven't taken a ruler to them. As for price, I suppose it's also a case of what value you place on time saved by not building a kit of more parts etc etc. That probably doesn't help you much does it?

(This topic seems to be turning into a Balcombe viaduct discussion rather than a Scaleforum one!).

• RMweb Gold

It depends John, on what you would be satisfied with. They certainly looked the part running across the viaduct from 'normal viewing distance', but with any 'one piece' resin casting there will be certain compromises in 'fineness' i.e. window thickness roof detail etc.. If I was to purchase a kit I would work on flush glazing and scratchbuild some new roof detail. The pair fitted with a Black Beetle motor bogie as opposed to a Tenshodo 'Spud' performed very well. If additional work was done they could be elevated to near Colin Parks' excellent work that he has put up on here.

Certainly better to have them available than not at all!

I'd be interested to hear more about your baseboard structure as shown on Eridge (and how you arrived at that design)?

If documentation already exists somewhere do let me know.

Hi Pete

You should find most of it explained on the (somewhat dormant) blog http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/35-eridge-mk-2-rebuild-of-a-p4-layout/

In a nutshell we built lightweight and deep boards for the trackbed sections only to replace the Mk1 boards that had sagged badly. Originally the scenery was going to be ultra lightweight sections made of foamboard and just attached to the sides jigsaw fashion, but then the rest of the team decided that if they were 8ft long we would need a big van anyway for transport, so why not add fixed outriggers to the track bed 'spine', spaced out with insulation foam material, and save the extra hassle? So that 8ft x 4ft board can easily be carried by two people, and lifted by one. The size is more of an issue than the weight, especially with corners and narrow doorways, but it's not like it needs to be moved too often.

HTH

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Rod - much appreciated. I'd certainly wish to work on the moulded detail and flush glazing aspects, which then puts them in the "rather expensive as a starting point" bracket and not much of an advantage - price or work-wise - over the NNK and Roxey alternatives.

Back to Scaleforum - thanks to all those who have posted photos. It's the one weekend of the year I most miss being able to attend.

I think that you'll find that is a rather nasty urban myth. Do you actually have any evidence to back it up, or are you just shooting your mouth off?

There are a lot of tired prejudices trotted out about Scaleforum (most of which seem to have appeared already on this thread) so I would invite those that are in possession of an open mind to pop along and actually enjoy the modelling and trade that is on show.

I hope that I'll see many more of you in Leatherhead on Sunday. Saturday has already been a very enjoyable and successful day :-)

Cheers

Paul Willis

Scalefour Society Ddeputy Chairman

I think that you'll find that is a rather nasty urban myth. Do you actually have any evidence to back it up, or are you just shooting your mouth off?

There are a lot of tired prejudices trotted out about Scaleforum (most of which seem to have appeared already on this thread) so I would invite those that are in possession of an open mind to pop along and actually enjoy the modelling and trade that is on show.

I hope that I'll see many more of you in Leatherhead on Sunday. Saturday has already been a very enjoyable and successful day :-)

Cheers

Paul Willis

Scalefour Society Deputy Chairman

I wandered along to the bring and buy on Saturday and can say that the curtains were closed until after the exhibition was opened, with an orderly que forming.

Gordon A

Even taking an emergency shift operating Longcarse West added to the fun.

Much appreciated after our Sunday morning driver got lost in Epsom and took an hour and a half to travel the three miles from his hotel to ours.

The Waterloo Street special edition mug is now in full service. As expected Mrs.Waveydavey is very 'impressed' :nono:

Those pictures can't have been of Longcarse, the owner was behind it :no:

Edited for the pedants;

"owner whilst it was at S4UM"

And doesn't the camera show my multiple chins off rather badly?

Pedants may like to know the layout is still mine until I drop it off at Chris's house in a few weeks time.

Cheers

David

David.., sorry I didn't stop by for a chat.. LCW was very busy the first time I wandered by... and on second visit I didn't see you. I witnessed the comment being made about you going wandering around... but with so much to see, why not :D . Layout still looking superb... one of my favourites :good:

• RMweb Gold

Another very good show this year. A group of fellow DRAGers stayed up there for the weekend and we had a really good time, it's always good to catch up with friends and have a jolly good laugh! I know Chris F and Tim E would certainly agree!

Not many photos, I seemed to spend most of my weekend chatting and spending lots of pennies on very nice things. However I will upload my set of Clutton, which for me was the highlight of the show. I was even able to drive the trains for a couple of minutes before it all went wrong! (Very sorry Tim!)

post-7376-0-13398200-1317154612.jpg

post-7376-0-64429700-1317154674.jpg

What goes on behind the scenes

post-7376-0-59528200-1317154678.jpg

post-7376-0-28509100-1317154685.jpg

post-7376-0-98161900-1317154692.jpg

post-7376-0-43100200-1317154689.jpg

post-7376-0-98161900-1317154692.jpg

post-7376-0-96120700-1317154695.jpg

post-7376-0-56085800-1317154698.jpg

post-7376-0-91880900-1317154700.jpg

A pair of really useful engines, but which way to Sodor!?

post-7376-0-20038600-1317154766.jpg

post-7376-0-02202200-1317154770.jpg

Regards,

Nick

Another very good show this year. A group of fellow DRAGers stayed up there for the weekend and we had a really good time, it's always good to catch up with friends and have a jolly good laugh! I know Chris F and Tim E would certainly agree!

Oh that one was priceless Nick! Probably the first time in living memory that the legend or Mr Commentator has spoken to me (and indeed yourself and Chris). Makes me glad that Clutton's signalbox is out at the front :D.

Good to catch up again!

T

Well... I've got to be honest... I don't remember seeing all these layouts photo'd above... just goes to show... I should've gone on sunday too. But a. that might have tempted even more expenditure and b. not sure how SWMBO would have reacted :nono: ... still, it was great to have a day out and I now need to start plans for a baseboard :dancing:

Guest oldlugger

Excellent photos Robert of an unusual and very nice P4 layout. I really like the industrial catenary but what spoils the realism are the pantographs of the locos that don't touch the fine contact wire. What a shame, as this would really enhance the layout tremendously.

Cheers

Simon

Archived