Polpendra, Cornish branch in N 1958-62

bridgiesimon

• 5 months later...

no update on here for ages, ooer!!

Anyway, we are out this weekend at the Yate show -

http://www.sodburyvalemrc.co.uk/_mgxroot/page_10800.html

Hope to see some of you there, we are looking forward to Saturday as we have not had this layout out for a while!

We have not ha much of a development of hte layout for a while although I have now made up a 4mm ply base for a new version of the village scene over the tunnel to design and build, not sure at the moment what to put on there, maybe a small church instead of the garage but I would like to put something there a little different but not silly obviously!

There have been a few new aditions to the stock such as a standard 4 2-6-0 and some D6300s in green as well as blue for the later era.

Best wishes

Simon

• 3 months later...

Polpendra will be out again this sunday for the Bideford show, well worth a visit and for charity as well!!

Just sorting out and testing a new control panel, getting very confused and frustrated with my own stupidity to not understand and see the obvious, aaargh!!!

Thought I would have a quick look on here while the soldering iron heats up.

Best wishes

Simon

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Polpendra will be out again this sunday for the Bideford show, well worth a visit and for charity as well!!

Just sorting out and testing a new control panel, getting very confused and frustrated with my own stupidity to not understand and see the obvious, aaargh!!!

Thought I would have a quick look on here while the soldering iron heats up.

Best wishes

Simon

Don't forget the cassettes for the fiddle yard !

Unfortunately I won't be there as camping with 28 cubs and 17 scouts !

cheers guys, will try and remember the cassettes!

Thanks William, time does fly it was quite a while ago but the layout is still looking ok and now with a new control panel which actually works despite some Simie sillies I had to sort, things should be really good.

Best wishes

Simon 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Ok guys, Polpendra is out again tomorrow at the Barnstaple show though the weather seems rather rubbish at the moment.

http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/events/11144-BarnstapleMRC_ModelRailwayExhibition

Well worth a visit, despite only being relatively small, this is always a very friendly show and one I really enjoy. The layout is all packed up and ready for my sister to collect us this evening, my car is off the road with the ABS pump on its way for reconditioning, hopefully!!

Best wishes

Simon

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Polpendra will be out again this weekend, this time down in Weymouth and then, just confirmed for the Thorncombe show also - 

http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/events/11633-WeymouthModelRailwayAssociation_WeymouthModelRail2015

http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/events/11623-ThorncombeRailActivitiesClub_ThorncombeModelex2015

Best wishes

Simon

• 3 weeks later...

Now that the shows are out of the way for a while, I am going to give the layout a bit of a revamp and refresh, not too serious but a good list of tasks - 

Strip off the exhibition plaques, fill any damage from removing them and repaint the fascia after cutting it lower - At the moment the eye line when standing in front of the layout across under the pelmet is above the top of the sky backscene and it has always frustrated me so time to sort it. 

Oh yeah and to make a display board for the exhibition plaques and information sheets that can hinge on the front of the layout as a protector when in transit, maybe removable as it would be in the way where the layout is set up at home though.

I have also had a bulb go in the lighting and for the cost of a new bulb, not taking into consideration that the others are the same age, is not far off the cost of replacing the whole lot for LED strip lighting complete with power and a dimmer switch so that is another job.

I also have a section of ply ready for a new scene for across above the tunnel but at the moment I do not have good enough ides for what to put there that will fit into the scene correctly, different enough from what is already there and not a cliche church/castle etc. 

Well, lots to think about, will keep the updated going as I put the changes into action.

Best wishes

Simon

• Like 2

Fascia filled and sanded, although a bit of a mess, I think it is looking better already - 

post-3347-0-74169700-1448206151.jpg

(Apologies for the terrible piccie, twas taken on the phone)

The next task is to cut the sides to lower the pelmet

post-3347-0-89027400-1448206162.jpg

I plan to chop along the red line to remove the green hashed area. It has always bugged me that when viewing the layout is in this piccie, you can see through above the backscene so this is what I am aiming to hide by dropping the pelmet this much so the viewing line is around where the blue broken line is

I have also sourced and priced up the lighting stuff ready to acquire when the car is sorted assuming it leaves us any finds at all!!

best wishes

Simon

Edited by bridgiesimon
  • Like 1

Had a look at Polpendra and I am thinking that I need to lower the lighting canopy by around 3 1/2 inches, across where the bottom of the wooden strip is in this not great piccie - 

post-3347-0-08426200-1448739291.jpg

As you can just about see, this lower position ensures that for the average viewer, the backscene covers up behind the canopy so no more unsightly gap through and over the top of the backscene when I cut it tomorrow.

best wishes

Simon

Next update - 

The sides have now been cut, sanded and checked with the canopy on top - the point at which I realised that the pieces that used to sit happily behind the sides to position the canopy now do not fit so had to trim those down as well. 

I put the second coat of satin black on the fascia this evening, just need to sand and paint the canopy tommorow and a piccie will follow then. I am much happier with the view now.

Best wishes

Simon

• 2 months later...

Ok, no updates for ages but here is the latest - 

The fascia is now complete and had the first couple of coats, another one in a minute after typing this.

I have also noticed that the gate between the two fields is looking rather worse for wear so a replacement has been made, well actually 2 replacements as the first one I made way too tall so had to start again - dosey moo!!!

post-3347-0-62641200-1454774987.jpg

Anyway, you can see all 3 here, the good the bad and the ugly or something!

Sorting the layout and stock today as we are off to Monmouth for the show tomorrow- 

http://www.rotary-ribi.org/clubs/page.php?PgID=327038&ClubID=635

Although they have managed to spell my surname wrong, never mind! (Should be Addelsee)

Best wishes

Simon

• 2 months later...

After a great show at the weekend, things are developing with some destruction leading the way starting with removing the lighting to be replaced with LED strip lights instead. Something I have been wanting to do for a while and with a deadline of the RM Web members day in a couple of weeks,it should be the motivation I need to get it sorted. When unpacking I noticed a few cracks appearing on the small lift off section which sits over the tracks of the tunnel at the top of the layout revealing that the scenery is delaminating from the underlying plastic base layer. This section is also starting to look a little faded anyway so is down for a revamp anyway.

post-3347-0-99683700-1460577161.jpg

The cracks can be seen in these piccies - 

post-3347-0-50389800-1460577168.jpgpost-3347-0-27460800-1460577173.jpg

So, I now have a pile of bits in the bin and another pile of much more important buildings and details on the bench ready to be installed on a new plywood based scenic section.

post-3347-0-42163700-1460577176.jpg

Anyway, I have sorted out how I think I want to arrange the stuff, slightly differently than before, I have a sheet fo things to find we hang on the front of the layout and one of them is behind the houses so I am moving it to a more visible place for shorter viewers (trying to be diplomatic for a change!)

post-3347-0-25167400-1460577179.jpg

I have now glued sections of blue insulation foam/polystyrene stuff ready to carve and shape for the scene. No point taking a piccie of a blue lump with lots of heavy stuff on it!

Best wishes

Simon 

• Like 3

• 10 months later...

a really long time since the last update, a good reason for that as well, nothing has been happening. Hobbiton End has been so busy with invites etc that this one has been sidelined. This Saturday, however, it is once more out on its travels for our 41st show!! I thought that it was going to be show number 40 ad was going to retire it but seems like I have missed the anniversary, never mind.

Anyway looking upwards, I did not add piccies showing the changes after the village scene was completed nor have I added piccies with the lower fascia either, I will take some and add. I have the rest of the week off work to update the layout and get it ready fr the show so lots of opportunities for piccies and updates.

The other update is that the layout now has new lighting, gone are the set of 4 spotlights which got hot and left noticeable brighter and dimmer parts of the scene. It their place, a set of 4 rows of LED light strip, much smoother light and stays cool! The time for the change came when a bulb blew and I realised that for the price of the new bulb I could replace the whole lot with the LED strip lighting, decision made. The LED strip was acquired and I rebuilt the canopy including a strip from an old Venetian blind to mount the LEDS onto but there it sat for the last 6 months or so until today when I sorted and installed it all at last.

Anyway, enough for now, piccies to follow

Best wishes

Simon

Here is a quick piccie showing the new lighting

post-3347-0-15010100-1488396041_thumb.jpg

A little frustrated as I thought I had bought warm white LED strip but this seems a little bluish rather than yellow. May be replaced as some stage but will do for now, what do you guys think?

post-3347-0-24058500-1488396363_thumb.jpg

As you can see in the second piccie, the trees and greenery is looking rather faded and dusty so I have been removing many of the trees in preparation for a revamp. Many of the trees should be ok after a good brushing and touching up and then will be replaced onto the scene after the grassing is completed. I plan to used a mix of foam stuff and static grass in areas as well - 2mm static grass representing 1 foot high grass.

post-3347-0-66431500-1488396468_thumb.jpg

Finally, a quick piccie of the completed revamped village scene, a couple of issues to sort before Saturday though, missing lady and goat in the enclosure at the end etc.

Best wishes

Simon

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1