OO gauge Turbot

DapolDave

• RMweb Gold

That must be a record distance for the tension lock to protrude beyond the buffer faces........................

Cheers,

Mick

Yes, it's unfortunate in a modern product, but still not quite as bad as old Lima. It was possible to sqeeze an extra wagon in a rake once all the couplings had been replaced!

I like the look of these otherwise, hopefully the couplings could be eased in. Mind you, the first FTG SPAs had couplings too far in, didn't they?

That must be a record distance for the tension lock to protrude beyond the buffer faces........................

Cheers,

Mick

Maybe, but go the other way:

I remember double heading Lima 50's n a layout with 3' radius curves.. Buffer lock!, Buffer Lock!, Buffer lock!

Here's two images from Dapol laid over each other. Make of it what you like, I personally feel that Dapol has done a better job of it than KMRC, it's quite close to the drawing for the artwork and that looks quite good. I think it's just got to do with the angles etc.

post-27484-0-60990700-1524929191_thumb.jpg

post-27484-0-62245900-1524929203_thumb.jpg

post-27484-0-55925900-1524929217_thumb.jpg

Quite clear that the EP's underframe trussing isn't fixed on properly as the left hand side seems to be a better match as compared to the right hand side which seems to sag a little.

Edited by MGR Hooper!
  • Like 3

Cheers,

Mick

They are however giving customers the option of using the Dapol "Instanter" couplings and also "NEM compatible drawbars" along with each wagon, hopefully they will improve the the distance? Tension-locks can then be used on the outer ends.

Here's two images from Dapol laid over each other. Make of it what you like, I personally feel that Dapol has done a better job of it than KMRC, it's quite close to the drawing for the artwork and that looks quite good. I think it's just got to do with the angles etc.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Quite clear that the EP's underframe trussing isn't fixed on properly as the left hand side seems to be a better match as compared to the right hand side which seems to sag a little.

Sorry whilst I accept the one side has not been fitted properly I am definitely not convinced. The trusses look too deep. This may be an optical illusion but I am sceptical.

The two pictures that MGR Hooper has overlaid are not completely of the model in the same position. The ep photo is not of the model straight on to the side, you can establish this as the top of the opposite side is visible above the nearer side as is the far truss. This has the effect of appearing to lengthen the trusses. If they are the same as the cad picture they should be pretty accurate. Certainly they have the brake hanger vertical bar attached to the angled truss, which wasn't the case with the Kernow model, where the brake vertical bar was too high up the truss. I modified my Kernow models to reduce the bogie/underframe gap and reduce the truss height and these Dapol eps look to be accurate to the photos I used.

Sorry whilst I accept the one side has not been fitted properly I am definitely not convinced. The trusses look too deep. This may be an optical illusion but I am sceptical.

No need to apologize, I've posted that with a general view and my opinion. And as always opinions will be divided. I clearly see a huge improvement over the KMRC version and it's acceptable to my eyes and maybe some others.

• 3 months later...

The Dapol advert in the September 2018 Hornby magazine, lists the first 4 Turbot models in 'oo' gauge as August releases - 2 in ews and 2 in BR engineers Dutch liveries. There are 1st decorated sample photos for both liveries in the advert. The underframe looks to be spot on compared to the over depth trusses on the Kernow model and the bogies appear to be closer to the underframe. Have held off from ordering the 2nd release versions from Kernow and now I've seen these will order some Dapol versions.

• 1 month later...

Anyone know if Dapol plan to issue the Dutch Turbot's with alternative running no's ?

In the first releases there are 3 dutch livery versions with different running numbers. Dapol's normal way is to produce further running numbers after the first sell out, however as there is a competing model from Kernow, these may take longer to sell.

From the ep samples, the Dapol version has more accurate side trusses to the chassis. The Kernow chassis has overdeep side trusses and is also much too high in respect of body and buffer height. I corrected the buffer height problem by filing off the raised moulding on top of the bogies, however this exacerbates the overdeep trusses and I ended up doing major surgery on this part of the model. I've decided to go for the Dapol version to extend my fleet and also their version of the Bogie Bolster E as this will have the same chassis. The Dapol spec indicates their Turbot will have posable drop down sides, so interested to see how that operates.

Edited by rembrow

Any word on the Turbots appearing yet please?

I am really looking forward to buying a rake of the Dutch liveried ones.

John

They are imminent. The latest Dapol product release info posted by Gaugemaster  on 6th October, shows an October release for all versions (3 EWS and 3 Dutch livery). This could slip to November I suspect, based on past new releases.