In The Begining !

silverlink

Ah Deltics,

I was there at the begining, I have quite a few pictures I took as a young teenager in 1961 which I will try & load. Here is D9001 on one of the very first runs on the Flying Scotsman York Up Main.

Cheers

silverlink

post-4401-0-15044700-1314540864_thumb.jpg

Superb picture there Silverlink.

If you have more you'er willing to post, they may be better in a gallery, linked to the forum - to gain a broader appreciation.. or add in here - either way we'd love to see them. I'm a BR blue person, but I'm beginning to really appreciate the green ones - especially those in original livery such as this... St Paddy at her best - no headboard bracket and so sleek!

I think this was my first sighting of a Deltic, at York I think May-June of 1961. I was in my usual spot at the end of platform 9 at the south end of the station where I was waiting for the Flying Scotsman which would hopefully have one of my beloved A4's at its head. What a shock I had, I remember as if it were yersterday this never before heard loud humming sound coming from under the roof of the station & then into sight came this monster in two tone green. I just stood there for a moment in shock wondering what it was & then quickly lifting my camera to take this pictue. In a flash it was gone leaving only a cloud of smoke as it accelerated under Holgate bridge to the south of York Station. I suppose at that moment I became a fan of the Deltic not relising it was spelling the end for my beloved east coast pacifics. Over the next couple of years I managed to see all the class often at speed when I visited Northallerton station. This is probably Sept 1961 after removal of front headlamp (speed around 90mph). I will post a picture of D9000 with lamp shortly.

Cheers

silverlink

post-4401-0-35996900-1314565510_thumb.jpg

Nice photographs of the locos in green. I have to agree with BR Blue especially with white window surrounds. Always remember seeing MELD with them while waiting for my dad to return to the car after signimg off from duty at Doncaster station.

If there is a gallery it may be useful as there must be plenty of photgraphs that will be useful to modellers.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

These are some lovely photos that you'd got hidden away... it certainly is a scheme that suits their shape and your photos show this so well. Lovely lighting too. Thanks for sharing... please share more as and when you can.

Jon

• 2 weeks later...

Lovely pictures, I am interested to know what camera you used and if you knew the film as well......they really are a cut above the usual "snaps" taken by grubby little urchins hanging around at the end of platforms! :)

Trying to remember everything all that time ago is a bit difficult!!! let me see. At the time I was 14/15 years old & was lucky to have a dad who was in the local camera club. All 35mm, I think at first I was using a Frankerette Super? which you can see here http://www.appcott.co.uk/VINTAGE6X6/FRANKA/SUPER-FRANKARETTE/SUPER-FRANKARETTE.htm at the same time my dad had a Pentacon 35mm which he had specially imported from East Germany. Both camera's were totally manual so my dad would let me use his Weston light meter, can't remember the first one possibly MK4 but I definatly used his best one a MK5 . Film was if I remember Ilford FP3 & 4 & highspeed Ektacrome colour slide film. He used to buy in bulk & we would load up cassettes with the film. When I got home we would go into the darkroom & develope the BxW film dry it & then print off the pictures using his enlarger, all great fun. At that time most of the colour went off for proccessing but we did at one time do it ourselves. A gret time, I just wish I'd kept all the film but alas some of it just got thrown away boo-hoo !

Cheers

Ian (silverlink)

• RMweb Premium

Wow! Ian you were a lucky lad.....best I had was a boxbrownie and I had little interest in photography then and was more interested in riding the locos than photographing them (something I regret now of course, although somewhere I have a complete cab journey from the cross to peterborough in an HST, its a bit shaky as it was shoulder mounted and occasionally had breaks in it when it looked a bit suspicious for the "secondman" to have a Beta camcorder on his shoulder :) ). I now realise why your piccies are such good quality, keep 'em coming, they are a treat!

Thanks for your comments David, yes I suppose I was lucky to have a dad that was into photography one thing I was unable to do was get to many lieside locations as my dad never had a car. Most of the time I had to make do with station locations, not the end of the world but it would have been nice to get to somewhere like Essendine or Stoke summit.

HERE WE HAVE D9006 ON THE UP TALISMAN AT DRINGHOUSES YORK.

post-4401-0-82526800-1321701634_thumb.jpg

silverlink

• 1 year later...

Trying to remember everything all that time ago is a bit difficult!!! let me see. At the time I was 14/15 years old & was lucky to have a dad who was in the local camera club. All 35mm, I think at first I was using a Frankerette Super? which you can see here http://www.appcott.c...FRANKARETTE.htm at the same time my dad had a Pentacon 35mm which he had specially imported from East Germany. Both camera's were totally manual so my dad would let me use his Weston light meter, can't remember the first one possibly MK4 but I definatly used his best one a MK5 . Film was if I remember Ilford FP3 & 4 & highspeed Ektacrome colour slide film. He used to buy in bulk & we would load up cassettes with the film. When I got home we would go into the darkroom & develope the BxW film dry it & then print off the pictures using his enlarger, all great fun. At that time most of the colour went off for proccessing but we did at one time do it ourselves. A gret time, I just wish I'd kept all the film but alas some of it just got thrown away boo-hoo !

Cheers

Ian (silverlink)

Ian,

Going slightly OT

Strange how after all these years similar equipment and films are remembered

I used the same Camera, is this the model? (picture below) Weston meter and film setup (except I started with a Kodak Retinette)

The Pentacon was expensive at the time, but a bargain as the importers sent mine with an f2 Carl Ziess Biotar lens instead of the much cheaper f3,5 - that I had ordered, they said it was their mistake and I could have it for the same price. No lever wind, a superb bit of early M42 fit camera.

post-1161-0-78823500-1356043699.jpg

BTW I still have it stached away in the back of the wardrobe

Sorry for going OT

Fantastic,

I can't remember what it looked like but I do remember its name. I was told at the time (1961) by my dad that it was quite a rare beast! thanks for the picture.

I will see if I have a picture of D9000 to hand which I am sure would have been taken with this model of camera.

Ian H

This is one of my most prized pictures which I think I took usink Kodak Ectachrome

D9000 ON THE UP FLYING SCOTSMAN JUNE 12th 1961

post-4401-0-84387500-1356080236_thumb.jpg

On the same day 60028 Walter K Whigam was on the down Elizabethan & 60031 was on the up Elizabethan

Cheers

Ian H

• RMweb Gold

You've been luckier (cleverer?) with Ektachrome than some of us. I have pics a decade newer which don't have half the colour left. At the risk of riding my usual hobby-horse, these early pics make Deltics look far more elegant than later schemes. Yellow bits and boring blue were a step in the wrong direction for this and most other classes, frankly.

Ian,

I have just noticed this thread... Wow, some superb photos. Thank you very much for posting them.

I just wish I had been around in 1961 to enjoy the Deltics in their prime!

Cheers

Lee

Thanks Lee,

A very interesting time for a young lad, you never knew what you would see on a day out spotting unlike today with communications & the tinternet to hand back in the early 60's you relied on the monthly Ian Allen magazine which would give details of new stock due for release. I suppose a bit like Rmweb & the new to be released Hornby & Bachmann models although with BR at least you saw them around soon after announcement unlike the models which takes up to two or three years before you see them. From seeing my first Deltic (D9001) they have been my favourite diesel with that wonderful colour scheme & oh boy 'THAT SOUND' .

Ian H

Archived