Heljan 7mm 31 Painted Sample Arrived

brian daniels

Nice one Brian, ta for sharing those.... glad to see it's in 'as built' condition with the bodyside steps uncovered. Mind you, the bodyside raised 'bands' aren't shown.... one to watch, this!

It might be there Nige, there is certainly a dotted line where it should be.

It might be there Nige, there is certainly a dotted line where it should be.

You're right Matt, must be my tired eyes! This certainly looks promising. Something which has often struck me about Heljan's 7mm r-t-r locos is how much better they all look in the flash than they do in two dimensional photos online or in print.... I nipped into Howes the other week and the BFYE 26 and GFYE 47 they had in the glass case looked absolutely superb. Our Mr Daniels fine work on these two beasts shows just what can be done to bring them to life.

Don't want to turn this thread into a wish list but after the 31, surely they should have a crack at an 08 / 09.... the various permutations of cab doors, exhauster / compressor cabinets etc could easily be accomadated in the same way that Hornby have done with their 4mm versions. Oh, and a headcode box version of the 20 would be nice...!

• 5 months later...

Brian, Please finish one in either Electric Blue or Golden Ochre! The Gold one was quite subtle I remember seeing it literally flash into the Sun crossing the bridge at Shenfield when I had just come out of the store from buying 5 Woodbine on the way to school.....

Best, Pete.

This is a pre production model don't forget so a couple of things might change.

I seem to recall, though, somewhere, that the "Pre-Production" model of the Deltic was the model they were going to produce - no changes were made to the errors that were pointed out before the main production run started...??

Can we be sure that if there are errors (here's hoping there aren't!!!), they will get corrected..?? :(

Here are some pictures of a pre production 31 that was given a loaded test run recently. It has a working rad fan and illuminated instrument lights! The rear bulkhead detail is rather nice but no doubt will be painted all over grey. I am painting this one in blue and will pick out all the details in the cab whilsh I have it in bits.

Hope you like it.

post-6766-0-05008400-1328881503.jpg

post-6766-0-42657400-1328881508.jpg

post-6766-0-41831600-1328881512.jpg

post-6766-0-45253800-1328881517.jpg

post-6766-0-83244800-1328881521.jpg

Very slightly spoiled by rather 'prismatic' window glazing... but other than that - wow!! Certainly much better cab bulkhead detail than any other HJ - helped by not having the motor/flywheels intrude like the 37 and deltic, of course! and lit-up dash too?! They're copying you, Brian!!

Any thoughts or data on minimum radius curves, seeing as the body valance correctly overhangs the rear of each truck..??

Saving hard for this one now!!

Archived