Leyland Experimental Coach

Hi all

Just thought this photo may be of interest to some.

It is the Leyland bodied Mk1 on its way through Llanelli this morning heading for the steam centre at Cynheidre.(Apologies for the poor photo, it was taken on my phone).

Ian

post-4712-0-09199000-1315571954.jpg

• Like 9

Hi Bon,

It was a trial to test the idea of reusing mark 1 underframes, providing a new body at a much reduced cost, I suppsed also it helped with the railbus project.

I think it is the only DB stock to run in passenger service being used in cross country sets?

Ian

• Informative/Useful 1

A relatively innexpensive coach was required for short-distance light traffic, the initial idea being to marry a bus body to a long wheelbase wagon chassis. As an experiment, the Mk.I chassis off erswile E21234 was sent to British Leyland at Workington in 1982 for the latter to fabricate a body using standardised panels off the 'National' bus. It was returned to BR in January 1983 and was fitted with B4 bogies.

The interior consisted initially of two open saloons seating 32 passengers (green & blue seats) and 40 passengers(orange & brown seats). Seats were unidirectional, there were no tables, and the whole coach was designated no smoking and was electrically heated. There were hopes of more vehicles of this style but press reaction was not good. Finished in corporate blue and grey, RDB977091 never entered revenue stock.

• Informative/Useful 1

Hi Brian

Yes it had just turned off Pembrey Road into New Road, I had just dropped Tom in school and noticed this coming around Gelli Onn, they were having trouble negotiating the new road arrangement there so was able to have enough time to be in New Road waiting for it.

Ian

I hate the Leyland Nationals and all derivatives of them. Horrible nasty things, made of corrugated iron, like those French vans that look like an Anderson shelter on wheels, designed to replace the wife to take goods to market.

An interesting vehicle otherwise, and probably worthy of preservation if it doesn't rust away in the meantime!

Modelling conversion using EFE buses and a Mk1 underframe anyone?

• Like 3

I know Roy's tongue was firmly in cheek there - what's not to love about screamers such as this beauty: http://www.flickr.co...N02/5084254073/

These were such a feature of my childhood and adolescent transport I thought their built-to-a-price quirkiness was an intrinsic part of their charm.

Or this snapped in my lane last Saturday

This beast had been in the Green Bus yard in Great Wyrley for a couple of years, but owing to uncertainty over the yard the bus owners decided to move it to somewhere near Stafford for work to continue.

Movin out

Re the OP I made a point of riding in it from New St to Wolverhampton or Stafford while it was in service. Although Coachman is technically correct about it never entering revenue stock, it was in passenger revenue service as a "DB" numbered vehicle, probably for a couple of years.

From memory it was very plasticy and certainly nothing to brag about.

In (Parkin's?) standard work on the MkIs there is a photo of this coach in the formation of a cross-country service at Leamington Spa.

I certainly travelled in it in passenger service between Birmingham and Coventry in late 82 or early 83, and someone who later became my boss was at one time nominated to ride around in it and gauge passenger reaction. Probably more comfortable than a Pacer (no underfloor engine or four-wheel underframe) but did not compare with the Mk2s it ran alongside!

• Like 1

Guest stuartp

Modelling conversion using EFE buses and a Mk1 underframe anyone?

A couple of Tower Models kits might be a cheaper and easier alternative. I have enough bus kits, a Coopercraft Mk1 chassis and some spare B4 bogies in the stash...

I hate the Leyland Nationals and all derivatives of them. Horrible nasty things, made of corrugated iron, like those French vans that look like an Anderson shelter on wheels, designed to replace the wife to take goods to market.

Strikes me that's a pretty good idea!

JE

• RMweb Premium

Used to be a regular vehicle on the Brighton to Manchester services, travelled in it a couple of times, very light and airey due to the amount of windows. Seats were standard road coach seats of the time, OK comfort wise.

Here are a couple of pics of it in service, first one at Reading.

p106047062-3.jpg

Second one at Mill Road Patcham on the outskirts of Brighton

p379796218-4.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Did they ever do a 4 wheel version of this? I.e. an unpowered Pacer in effect.

I seem to remember it being tested in trains the same as the bogie version - but I might be barking up the wrong tree (or completely barking)!

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Did they ever do a 4 wheel version of this? I.e. an unpowered Pacer in effect.

I seem to remember it being tested in trains the same as the bogie version - but I might be barking up the wrong tree (or completely barking)!

Keith

LEV1.....which I think was initially unpowered

p720610302-4.jpg

This was an RTC / Derby works open day in 1979. Takn by my late Uncle, from my photo site at http://andygibbs.zenfolio.com/

• Like 2