Flashing tail lights on trains

Daddyman

• RMweb Premium

When did BR start phasing out parafin tail lamps? IIRC the only reason for flashing tail lamps was to increase the time between battery replacement / charging as in a comparison test a parafin lamp lasted longer than a battery lamp that stayed lit all the time.

• RMweb Gold

When did BR start phasing out parafin tail lamps? IIRC the only reason for flashing tail lamps was to increase the time between battery replacement / charging as in a comparison test a parafin lamp lasted longer than a battery lamp that stayed lit all the time.

Battery electric tail lamps came into regular use around the mid 1970s although initially for restricted types and numbers of trains. Development versions had been around a little longer as far as I can recall. I think the main reasons for oil lamps lasting so long were cost, durability, and reliability but tinsmithing prices began to rise sharply in the 1970s (not helped by BR cutting back ever more on its own repair and manufacturing capability) while at the same time advances in battery technology were making possible reasonable sized lamps which could last a round trip on some freight flows and by 1976 BE Tail lamps were being used on a limited number of passenger stock diagrams as well.

When did BR start phasing out parafin tail lamps?

They were increasingly rare from the late 80s, and they were banned altogether sometime in the early 90s (1994 ?). I had one in my office at Appleby in 1992-4 for emergency use, which of course was never issued on the grounds that we only had one and someone else mght need it, and the guard should have a Badic in any case. In restrospect I should have made the effort to use it on something - a sprinter with an oil tail lamp would have raised a few eyebrows !

BR did produce a last batch of Oil lamps in the early/mid 80s, however since the 'electric' revolution was in full swing these were stashed away in a store for many years.

In the mid 90s they eventually found their way to the much lamented BR Collectors Corner (which by this time had migrated to York) and I purchased one of said lamps whilst on a visit to the NRM. It was still wrapped in the original brown paper packaging and brand new - it now adorns my railway room!

Oil lamps lasted in revenue service in Scotland until the late 80s - I'm pretty sure I saw one as late as 1990 on the Far North line.

The Battery Electric Tail lamps saw greater use after an accident at Wigan in the early 1980s a Speedlink Train ran into the back of an Freightliner train who's oil lamp had gone out the train was on a permissive goods line at the time and didn't see the stationary container train till the last moment and ran into the back of the train at slow speed but it was still enough to kill the driver of the Speedlink train. The accident report can be found on the railways archive website and the main recommendation's was to phase out oil tail lamps.

I remember seeing a documentary filmed at Swindon in 1984/85 featuring a tinsmith making a brand new paraffin tail lamp, I can't quite remember the name of the programme though; quite an intricate and skilled process, and I was surprised to see it was being perpetuated at such a late date.

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Sorry to tag onto this post, but are the tail lamps on a carriage sited on the Left or right looking at the back, or does it not matter. Only reason i ask is i want to fit one to a 00 gauge parcel van.

They go on the easiest side to reach - if the Guard etc is on a station platform when the train is lamped he will plonk it on the nearer of the two brackets.

This thread has just reminded me...

Recently I noticed the use of 'different' tail lamps which have a different flashing sequence to tradtitional tail lamps...are these new lamps?

Instead of the typical 2 flash per sec, I noticed that these have a higher frequency of flash 3-4 per sec and then followed by a long pause - 1sec followed by 3-4 per sec?

From memory they also appeared to have red reflective 'marker stickers' all over the vertical faces?

New style lamps...LED?

• 8 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

The idea of flashing tail lamps was to make them distinguishable from signal lights and handsignals as well as making them more 'obvious' and to prevent them being pinched for other jobs where a red light was required..   Instructions wise the original battery charging arrangements and time in service for both the flashing and non-flashing versions were basically similar. 

• RMweb Premium

Can some body remind me who does these in 4mm scale. Non working please.

Merf.

Springside do nice cast ones that I often drill out and fit fibre optics to.

Cheers,

Mick

• 1 year later...

They go on the easiest side to reach - if the Guard etc is on a station platform when the train is lamped he will plonk it on the nearer of the two brackets.

Not allways true. The LH bracket on a MK1 is higher than the RH side. Both are easy to access from a platform but LH a bit of a from the ground. If its oneself who has to remove it one might take the trouble to use the lower bracket if you expect the platform to be on other side. If someone else is to remove it different matter

Archived