Pictures of Charmouth

DLT

• RMweb Premium

Really looking forward to operating Charmouth at the next exhibition - it's been a while!

Just had the official invite through, Charmouth will be appearing at the Warley Show this year, 24th, 25th November.

Only its second exhibition in the last fourteen years, I had better start checking the wiring!

Cheers, Dave.

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Thanks for all the encouraging comments Gents, it keeps me keen to keep modelling and developing.

For me it's sort of Aughnacloy meets Tralee in Dorset with a touch of Ballinamore. Patrick

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up!

Looking forward to when I see Charmouth / Bridport Town again

Charmouth will be at Warley this coming November, for one of its occasional jaunts into the outside world.

Great photos, I love the iron work on the ends of the coach and van. Don

Thanks Don, those etched grills are rather gorgeous, and some of the last remaining bits of the original kit.

All the best,

Dave.

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Prior to its long-overdue outing to Warley this coming Autumn, Charmouth is in need of a little refurbishment and upgrade here and there. I've talked about conversion to DCC on my Workbench thread, but some of the scenery was looking a bit tatty as well.

My nice handmade wooden fencing along the front looked very nice, but was continually getting knocked and broken, so I'm replacing it with the Peco plastic stuff. The stretch of grassy bank along the front of the goods yard was so worn and bare that I'm replacing it completely. So I've removed the remains of the fence and built up the new wider bank with bits of old insulation board, messily glued down with pva.
2011320545_IMG_2396small.jpg.009b63be9620fe7346803b3d2f4bd8cc.jpg

2113937325_IMG_2397small.jpg.b167c705f898e753a70b5a8888d55c23.jpg

1427005018_IMG_2398small.jpg.782bd211565686165bc3284b22156ae8.jpg

Charmouth was built in the 1980s & 90s, when hairy carpet-underfelt was the primary method of representing grass. I did consider trying out the modern electrostatic method, but then I would have to do the entire layout or it would look wrong.
So for now I'm sticking with the older method (I've still got some underfelt left) and Noch and co will have to wait for a new layout.

First job was to cover the ground with a mix of earth/moss/ground coloured flock:
419267064_IMG_2404small.jpg.00adab73827c589cd0eabfe84e39fe65.jpg

27388924_IMG_2405small.jpg.a4a917abbaf72136fa045227e6da6e5b.jpg

275744648_IMG_2407small.jpg.dc49a81343f1b66993e389cbcc8c7f29.jpg

Next job is install the fence, and then I can add grass and bushes (nylon scouring pad, rubberised horsehair, Woodland Scenics foam) around it.

Meanwhile, he grounded van body behind the platform has been converted into a running van, (see my Workbench) and will be replaced by this:
2077456533_IMG_2401small.jpg.9a9c4d32bef88fba658cd963c1ea295c.jpg

Picked it up secondhand recently, I don't know what its prototype is, but its handmade. Needs a bit of weathering.

Cheers,
Dave.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 13

Meanwhile, he grounded van body behind the platform has been converted into a running van, (see my Workbench) and will be replaced by this:

IMG_2401small.jpg

Picked it up secondhand recently, I don't know what its prototype is, but its handmade. Needs a bit of weathering.

Cheers,

Dave.

Very nice David. The prototype of your grounded van is Great Western, David Geen does a kit in 4mm - http://www.davidgeen.co.uk/catalogue/Images/GWR/W001-Dg7.jpg

Adam

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave,

I did wonder how you were getting on with Charmouth.

Looking forward to Warley in a couple of months and having a good run on Charmouth. Last time must have been in Shepton Mallet when joined to Bridport Town ...

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The replacement Peco fence has been planted, looks fine from a distance. I sprayed it with Railmatch Sleeper-Grime first, and gave it a gentle weathering with white powder paint gently brushed on. The fence needs carefull handling as its moulded from a soft shiny plastic with a soapy texture that paint doesnt want to stick to. I've already scraped it off by accident in places.
182318078_IMG_2759small.jpg.d01547d410428c5b8ce96eb95af1e335.jpg

The raw materials of undergrowth: centre, teased-out nylon scouring pad, already with some Woodland Scenics attached (actually a previously used bush recovered from elsewhere) Top and Right, rubberised horsehair pulled apart and torn into bush-shapes. Left, my grass raw-material; some form of underfelt or sound-deadening material.
1343381591_IMG_2767small.jpg.8e305f975a30c15b28f26c28c27f967f.jpg

Adding undergrowth to the bank, smearing a bit of Evo-Stick Impact to the material and positioning/pushing it into place. Extra bits of horsehair dabbed on top, with more smears of Evostick, until a suitable look is achieved. Woodland Scenics material will be added later.

850619337_IMG_2768small.jpg.2c94ad966aded3233e345d0479284b2a.jpg

Edited by DLT
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Foliating the bushes is done with Woodland Scenics products, notably their Foliage Nets. I tear a bit off and then pull it apart/tease it out until its less dense, then spread it over the bush material until it looks right. Its held in place by a very light brush of pva over the bush.
984670459_IMG_2774small.jpg.fb6e84577193f9774d11f173c0ccfcf5.jpg

Close-up it doesnt look too great, but its the overall impression I'm after. In the wider view it looks more convincing.
1328068754_IMG_2773small.jpg.43a32e37251ce15de921cc0a350994f9.jpg

I had never been completely happy with the hardstanding area in the goods yard; and over the years have had several attempts at improving it. Its bright appearance is the result a layer of very fine sawdust glued down over the painted tile-grout. This gives it more of a hard-packed gravel appearance, and a good dose of weathering powders will tone it down.

Next job is to paint the grass.

Cheers, Dave.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 14

Dave,

I particularly liked the first picture; the foliage looks great - hadn't heard of that product before but will be on the lookout for it.

However, what really caught my eye was the rusty corrugated iron of the shed - very realistic!

Regards,

Dave

Foliating the bushes is done with Woodland Scenics products, notably their Foliage Nets. I tear a bit off and then pull it apart/tease it out until its less dense, then spread it over the bush material until it looks right. Its held in place by a very light brush of pva over the bush.

Dave

I really like what you have done with those bushes. Must admit that I haven't come across 'foliage nets' before and couldn't find them on the web. What are they and where did you get them from?

Thanks

Stephen

Edited by Warspite

• RMweb Premium

Must admit that I haven't come across 'foliage nets' before and couldn't find them on the web. What are they and where did you get them from?

Stephen

Hi Stephen,

The stuff I've got is the basic "Foliage", third picture down on the left on this page: http://woodlandsceni...maturesFoliages

One of their earlier products (I've had mine for donkeys years) its the usual foam granules, fixed to what appears to be a very fine nylon net. You can tear bits off, pull them apart and stretch them till you've got the effect you want, and then lay/drape/glue them in place.

Here's the detailed list: http://woodlandsceni...ategory/Foliage I use light, medium and dark green, F51, F52, and F53.

Hope this helps,

Cheers, Dave.

Hi Stephen,

The stuff I've got is the basic "Foliage", third picture down on the left on this page: http://woodlandsceni...maturesFoliages

One of their earlier products (I've had mine for donkeys years) its the usual foam granules, fixed to what appears to be a very fine nylon net. You can tear bits off, pull them apart and stretch them till you've got the effect you want, and then lay/drape/glue them in place.

Here's the detailed list: http://woodlandsceni...ategory/Foliage I use light, medium and dark green, F51, F52, and F53.

Hope this helps,

Cheers, Dave.

Dave

Thanks for these links. I've used Woodland Scenics fine and coarse turf, various lichens and leaf foliage but hadn't seen the net foliage before. Something different to try!

Thanks again.

Stephen