Wharf Speed! - 80's defunct wharf - Finished!

SXHALL

Well, I finally find myself with some spare time but not enough to finish my previous entry of Bishopsgate Goods Yard. Will continue work on that at some other time, time permitting!

So on Saturday I decided to create an old wharf based loosely around the 80's when most areas like this were running into disrepair and there was a remnant of some traffic by rail to and from. The name 'Wharf Speed' is a Star-Trek reference as the time I have for this is very finite! The warehouse will have the name 'Speed Wharf' emblazoned on it to carry the name.

Measurements are 20"x11" and it will be within the height limit as well. Baseboard is just a piece of mdf currently. Once the competition is over I will will glue and screw some batten to prevent any twisting or warping. Have not done it yet as wanted the height! The main carcase of the wharf is foam-core board and the quayside edge is foam-core board with some mountboard strips glued on.

First the front view - quayside and front of main structure. This will be a concrete beam type building with infill brick panels as was found at most docks and quays years ago.

post-9441-0-50418900-1316509973_thumb.jpg

Now the aerial view - shows two tracks, only one is complete the other falling prey to bad maintenance on the concrete surface.

post-9441-0-87829200-1316510073_thumb.jpg

And a close up the concrete surface - am going for an old aged and neglected look with this hence it having been attached with a scribe (dart!).

post-9441-0-69031100-1316510149_thumb.jpg

Things to do still.......

• Complete the main building shell and then clad - It is not at the finish height yet to fall in the 11" allowed and will be covered with scalescenes papers
  • Paint the wharf edge
  • Add the mud to the wharf
  • Paint the concrete surface
  • Add in additional details - old fencing, weeds, pallets, rubbish etc
  • Hope that the ebay stock I have ordered comes in time to age and weather to add to the scene!

So fingers crossed and with any luck this will be finished for the deadline! All a bit last minute but I want finish something.

Thanks for reading!

Steven

Thanks for the comments Stu & Armin

So progress from last night....

Started to cover the main structure having nearly completed the main carcass. Due to the way it designed I have to do a lot of the covering before I finish the build. This is mainly around the loading dock area as this would be very tricky to do once complete.

Picture below shows where I am at now, still needs some finishing touches on the platform edge and around the doors. Have a piece that looks like metal edging to run along here.

post-9441-0-69301700-1316591477_thumb.jpg

This picture shows the solution for the vertical columns, hope to get these all done today as well as the brick inlays (they are the walls from the free loco service pit from Scalescenes!).

post-9441-0-35716900-1316591536_thumb.jpg

Once the building has been finished I will move on to the water and quay area again.

Steven

Thanks Pete, was trying to create depth. Difficult in 11 inches!

Well not much progress made yesterday and today as something called work got in the way! Still grabbed a couple of hours this evening and progressed somewhat....

Front view having applied first coat of paint to the quay edge and brick paper to the walls. Also constructed a dock edge leveller out of plastruct. Will have some tabs to act as ramps for un/loading the vans.

post-9441-0-86543500-1316725589_thumb.jpg

First column glued in place, really pleased with how this has come out.

post-9441-0-57621800-1316725944_thumb.jpg

Aerial view showing the roof having been papered

post-9441-0-69077600-1316726025_thumb.jpg

Underneath of the loading dock has received it's first paper as well

post-9441-0-10253600-1316726110_thumb.jpg

Still lot's to finish and start! I think the weekend will be busy. Desperately want to finish off applying the concrete beams to the main structure as this will really finish to off and the façade.

That's all for tonight

Steven

Tonight's update!

Finished of adding the beams to the warehouse and added another coat to the quay edge.post-9441-0-55246500-1316821580_thumb.jpg

post-9441-0-29375700-1316821604_thumb.jpg

Next to do is recess the warehouse into the filler so it sits level and finish of a few areas that need a bit more attention. The quay will have some clay added tomorrow to represent the river mud and the quayside will get a tide mark added.

So to recap on the list of things to do.......

• Complete the main building shell and then clad - nearly complete
  • Paint the wharf edge - nearly complete
  • Add the mud to the wharf
  • Paint the concrete surface
  • Add in additional details - old fencing, weeds, pallets, rubbish etc
  • Hope that the ebay stock I have ordered comes in time to age and weather to add to the scene!

Two things nearly complete but they are the major things. Lost out on my ebay bids so am now back to square one for some stock.

A week to go, plenty of time :unsure: !!!!!

Steven

Really made some progress today....

I got to add the mud to the river last night and that began to set-up, did experience some cracking so will need to be repaired prior to painting. Also started adding some finishing touches to the warehouse and some weathering. Main accomplishment was weathering the concrete hard-standing in and around the rails. Could be subjective as to how far I have taken this but I feel it needs to be toned/muted down a little as it is very nearly what I am aiming for.

Hopefully tomorrow I can cover the top of the quay edge with some concrete paper. Once this has been done I can add some green? Yes, green! I want tall weeds and grass around the columns and along the wharf edge as well as in the cracks in the concrete. This will lift the overall drabness (but not too much!) of it all.

So pics below....

Front view

post-9441-0-22958100-1316986224_thumb.jpg

Aerial view

post-9441-0-07745100-1316986635_thumb.jpg

End view - building is straight contrary to the picture!

post-9441-0-78430600-1316986103_thumb.jpg

I also experimented weathering an old Hornby VDA, my first time at doing this and I am reserved on the outcome myself, jury is out!

So I have best part of a week left to complete it, it's looking promising for a finish!

Steven

Well a small flurry of activity today saw several jobs near close to being finished.

• Filled in the cracks that had formed in the clay used for the mud
  • Painted the tide mark on to the quay side
  • Constructed some ropey well used pallets from balsa wood
  • Fitted the dock leveller contraption to the loading dock
  • Added some signs
  • Built a small extension to the warehouse, possibly an office as it single storey
  • Finished the roof

So several jobs left to do...

• Add the previously mentioned greenery
  • Cover the quay edge with concrete paper
  • Paint the mud
  • Add rubbish to the river and more clutter and junk, including a skip (need to build!?!)
  • Bed in the dock leveller as it is bit short at one end!

And so tonight's picture update

Overall front

post-9441-0-56570200-1317081164_thumb.jpg

Close up of loading dock - who's nicked the sign from bay 5?

post-9441-0-30960700-1317081181_thumb.jpg

Right end view

post-9441-0-27610800-1317081210_thumb.jpg

Left end view

post-9441-0-10422100-1317081329_thumb.jpg

And my favourite picture thus far

post-9441-0-79253200-1317081348_thumb.jpg

Not long to go now as I am away for a night so that will eat in to my time somewhat.

Steven

Terrific...that concrete and staining of really looks superb.

Agreed, the last shot is very nice.

Thanks Pete, my first attempt and went straight in with no dry run! First time lucky I think.

Very nice! What paint did you use for the concrete beams?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks Tim. I used the walls from Scalescenes inspection pit (free download on there site). They were mounted on card cut accordingly and the wrapped around a foam-board structure. I was lucky that they fitted around nicely and were the correct height.

YES, YES, YES !

My favourite is the right end view.

Armin

Thanks Armin. I captured the look I wanted, thankfully!

Might get some more done tonight now as my away night for work has been cancelled, yay.

Steven

PS. The wife is glad this will have to be finished on Saturday night, she is beginning to forget what I look like. no bad thing some would say :D

A quick update tonight not much progress has been made, just a few odd jobs.

Added concrete paper to the quay edge, built a skip, made some lamps for the warehouse and painted the mud.

post-9441-0-39788600-1317334524_thumb.jpg

post-9441-0-02982600-1317334550_thumb.jpg

post-9441-0-60734500-1317334561_thumb.jpg

Main job now is place the warehouse permanently and then add in the weeds and grass, once this is done I can see about adding more general clutter etc.

Nearly job done!

Steven

Excellent, and tell us more about those lovely lamps! :)

Thanks Blackrat. The lamps are some small strips of styrene glued up with the ends of some wall-plugs glued on! Me and the wife spent an hour scouring the house for something suitable last night. They look effective, just need some rust and bird poo :lol:

Steven

It reminds me of walking around Bristol City docks in the late 1980s before the redevelopment transformed the place. Well done, excellent work!

Thanks Tim, precisely the look I was after. I grew up near the Royal Docks in London and saw this site everyday throughout the 80's until they built an airport there!

Always wondered what they must have been before there decline to the container.

Steven

Woohooo, I'm finished.

:dance_mini: :yahoo_mini: :clapping_mini:

Got the last few jobs finished today. Added weeds/grass, a telegraph pole and a ramshackle stop made of sleepers on the line at the front to stop wagons from rolling on to the tarmac area.

I also filled the skip (no 4mm mattress perhaps one will appear overnight!), and added some rust to lights and a few other areas got a bit more weathering too.

Best thing today was building the sign at the front, it say's 'For Redevelopment - Speed Wharf'. These were common at the end of the 80's as everywhere was being regenerated that was near water.

So here are my final pictures, will add to the entry thread once it has been set-up.

The main view of the front

post-9441-0-73382900-1317486146_thumb.jpg

Right side showing the sign and skip

post-9441-0-22661400-1317486163_thumb.jpg

Left end, one of my favourite angles

post-9441-0-53760600-1317486181_thumb.jpg

And possibly a new favourite picture for me - under the warehouse on the loading dock

post-9441-0-14902500-1317486201_thumb.jpg

And a final parting shot in it's entirety

post-9441-0-01782300-1317486234_thumb.jpg

So now I ma some time back in the evenings my wife will be pleased, should I tell her that there could be another competition next year?!?!?!?

Thanks for looking and don't forget to vote!

Steven

Archived