Judith Edge kits

Michael Edge

Hate to be the pedant, but the PWM's were Ruston DE165 0-6-0's, not DS.

PWM650, which became 97650 differed in a few details, but also wheel size.

I've tried a few times to get Slaters interested in doing the proper wheels, since Mercian already do the others and the JE kit is long awaited....sadly, I don't seem to have the clout of others who mange to get the correct wheels for the 03 etc...

Quite right - I have been rereading http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/117288-a-rivet-counters-guide-to-the-ruston-165hp-locomotives/ before commencing on the Impetus kit, and I now feel that I've got a grip on the subject; (plus 35 photos that I've collected over the years).

The wheels will have to be Markits - I use these as standard.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Premium

The IRS book on the PWMs actually lists the occasions when they were seen together.

I have that book and discussed with the author.

I have see 3 of the PWMs or 4 cannot remember 650/1/4 and I think 2 or 3

Seen 3 at Gloucester at various times, and also the Taunton one.

My 650 will be with a Dapol crane rebuilt with more accurate underframe, a converted Toad (eventually) and jib truck.

Have plenty of Cambrian wagons so will be adding a PW dept to my railway, very loosely based on Newland, but moved to the Lickey route.

I need to CF my 37 and obtain some more.

• RMweb Premium

We will have the new Hunslet 14" 0-6-0ST on sale at Manchester this weekend, same price as the other two HE saddle tanks - £50.

post-1643-0-19580000-1511980455_thumb.jpg

Smaller than the other two with a smaller boiler and wheels, I think this is the best looking of the range of standard Hunslet 0-6-0STs.

We will also have the completed Fell 10100 on display, although the kit won't be out until much later next year. Another new development is the etch for the Fowler 3P 2-6-2T, this won't be in any sense a kit, just all the bits you need etched in order to build one.

In 7mm scale we will have the Ruston 48DS on display and on sale.

• Like 13

Best engine they ever put in the Ford Corsair.

Mike.

:offtopic:

It was only any good when built in Germany. The Essex ones were rough old things.

The Ford of Britain and Ford of Germany V engines were completely different engine ranges with no common parts whatever!

How that takes me back to my days as a young man in the Technical Services section of Ford Motor Companies Service Division.

• RMweb Premium

I did some speed tests with the Fell on Herculaneum yesterday. Timed over 10ft in the fiddle yard with five coaches behind, full speed with the local controller was 60mph, using the main controller (more volts) full speed was 81mph. It did look very busy at this speed though.

• Like 4

I did some speed tests with the Fell on Herculaneum yesterday. Timed over 10ft in the fiddle yard with five coaches behind, full speed with the local controller was 60mph, using the main controller (more volts) full speed was 81mph. It did look very busy at this speed though.

OOOh don't !! Those flailing coupling rods !!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

RH 165 0-6-0 should be the next 7mm kit but with summer getting in the way now it won't be until the autumn.

Have priorities changed on this one?

Sorry to quote your post from May, please understand I'm not holding you to that autumn statement I realise you're a busy man!

• 2 weeks later...

Afternoon all,

It might be of interest to fans of Judith Edge industrials to take a look at some manufacturers brochure scans I have started to put on Flikr - a search on that site for "Yorkshire Engine Brochure" will take you to the growing collection of images, or try https://www.flickr.com/photos/64619687@N02/albums/with/72157688290397962

The scanning at 600DPI and uploading takes a bit of time, so it will be a gradual process, and I can not find out who, if anyone, owns the copyright to the material I possess, so that could put the brakes on it too in the future.  However, having bought this stuff, and knowing some of it is quite rare, there seems little point in it gathering dust when it might be of use and interest to others.  Hopefully it will prompt the dusting off and sharing of other items which have been salted away down the years.  Enjoy.

Thank you for scanning the Yorkshire Engine leaflets and posting your pictures - most interesting.

Gordon A

I agree.  I'm currently in the middle of 'rescuing' a Craftsman 02 kit which I bought very cheaply recently in a 'part built' state.  It went into the gas ring and I started again!  Now I've seen these pages I may well try and convert it into a semblance of the 170hp shunter complete with side handrails and sand boxes.  Mike has already provided me with a 'Yorkshire' plate for the front of the bonnet.  Sometime I'll post details on the 'Standard Gauge Industrial' section of the forum.

• RMweb Premium

I've done most of the essential work for the 7mm RH 165 0-6-0 now so it should be out next spring.

The 4mm kit was based mainly on the BR example, PWM650 but this was a standard Ruston product, that one having electric drive. The 165 0-6-0 was also sold as a diesel mechanical and I built the first test model as one of these. This one is built rigid but the usual compensation options are included.

post-1643-0-17269400-1513608099_thumb.jpg

It was also offered for narrower than standard gauges for which the frames were moved outside the wheels and flycranks fitted. One of these, a 3'6" gauge industrial loco for New Zealand was the origin of all these etches, initially in 9mm:1ft scale. Other 3'6" gauge locos went to Gold Coast (Ghana) and metre gauge locos were supplied to Norway, where as far as I know they still work. The same options of electric or mechanical drive were offered in this form.

Since all the etch design for the outside frame version was already done I wanted the kit to allow for this as well as standard gauge - I don't think any of the 0-6-0s were supplied for wider gauges, the 0-4-0 version did exist in 5'3" gauge (South Australia) but on the normal frame width.

post-1643-0-00158000-1513608826_thumb.jpg

Standard gauge frames out of the body and a new frame built from a spare test etch, same frames, different spacers. Bearings fitted in the hioles to take 1/8th axles. Blanking plate added in the gearbox cutout as this will be a DE. All these Ruston frame plates were identical, regardless of drive type or gauge.

post-1643-0-46326600-1513609037_thumb.jpg

Some wheels and one crank fitted, these wheels are far too small but it's a bit too near Christmas to get the right size and these were in the spares box. This option will use Slater's wagon wheels fitted on shouldered 1/8th axles.

post-1643-0-93800100-1513609179_thumb.jpg

The etches to produce the axlebox pattern were already done, this is the completed pattern, production ones will be moulded in resin. Brakes fitted on this axle with a fitting flange on the outside, new vertical spacer just fits between the brake hanger and the next wheel. Sandboxes fit on the same marks as the inside frame version, there are still slots for the footplate support brackets but I can't make them out on any photos I have so I'm not sure whether they were present or not.

post-1643-0-13782900-1513609551_thumb.jpg

Crank temporarily fitted again.

The 7mm kit will be on sale as a Ruston 165 0-6-0, not specifically for PWM650 although all the parts (including number plates) for that one will be in it. All the standard gauge options will be possible from it, DE without jackshaft and two varieties of DM with drive on either the trailing or centre crankpins. The etch includes NG parts as well, including the characteristic NZ shunter's steps and "ORBELL" nameplates.

We will supply the NG parts as an additional option, this will include moulded axleboxes, special 1/8th bushes, axles and Slater's wheels bored to fit on them. Since these will be a push fit they can be set to any gauge up to 24.5mm (3'6"). Our usual compensation system is not possible with 3'6" gauge since there is insufficient clearance inside the frames but should be possible in 1000mm or less.

• Like 8