Help needed solving a space problem please.

Katier

(Just realised I put this in the wrong place so redoing a second thread in the right place)

I've been working steadily with Emmyton and have come to the stage of thinking about building the goods shed. The plan is for it to cover the area that is purple on the map below and is thus quite a significant structure.

The model is 3mm/ft and the space available is about 150mm by 300mm for the entire structure. The problem I have is vehicular access. Goods sheds obviously need space to transfer goods to vehicles which can either be done internally (such as Moor Street, Birmingham) or externally such as a traditional single road small goods shed.

I need help trying to squeeze a bit of a quart into a pint pot. The footprint is 160x300mm with one side running very close to the runaround loop while the other side has about 12ft before the headshunt for the factory sidings. The latter can, of course, be embedded in the road. I am thinking therefore of having an end dock on the right hand road, but this would only allow one vehicles to be loaded at a time on that side while the left side would have several loading bays (?3?) and no end dock.

I'm not sure if this would work, or have I missed a better idea?

The width of the shed footprint is split from left to right, 45mm, 70mm and 35mm for the two unloading docks with the center twin running lines.

HELP!!! (please :) )

post-11540-0-25115000-1310808919_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

That is not really a suitable site for a goods shed. As you say it needs road access. End docks can only ever load one vehicle at a time and hence were often short. The only solution I can see if you want to keep all those sidings is to swap the position of the goods shed and the short head shunt. You would need a double slip to feed the various routes. That way the goods shed road access can be off basboard. You can also have a goods shed with two roads but only one platform. They used planks to go over one wagon to reach the other that way all the goods were placed on one side and only one side needed road access.

Don

Thanks Don,

Forgot to update that I'd found a solution. Moor Street ( I think ) had a goods shed where the two lines were split by a platform and a vehicle access road. So you end up with one line that was offloaded onto the dock/platform while the second dock is offloaded direct to road vehicles.

I'm part way through building the resultant shed which will work for vehicle access (because it's at the end ) and make more prototypical sense too (as well as having a prototype to prove it was done :-D)

Archived