New CJM class 50

HI All

Expensive in relative terms they might be compared to mass produced items, but they are nice and can outperform other similar traction.

I will have CJM locos on Law Junction this weekend at Manchester, doing what they do best, which is pulling scale freights on the WCML.

Regards Arran

CJM's new 50 is possibly the finest loco you can get in N currently (or will be once the first batch are finished).

These are never going to be mass market priced when you consider the time and effort that goes into finishing them. Many of the buying population do have to take into account where their money goes on stock so for some admiring has to be enough. Generally speaking we are far better off these days with the quality of Farish and Dapol stock but it's always good to see what can be achieved.

For those who model OO and like what you see, perhaps you should drop Chris Marchant a line. You never know, you may twist his arm sufficiently to do it in the larger scale. You wouldn't be the first to ask the question.....

CJM's new 50 is possibly the finest loco you can get in N currently

And the finest looking RTR class 50 in any scale I reckon?

When Chris gets round to showing us the refurbished models ill have to hide my wallet ...

tfn

Jon

• RMweb Gold

When Chris gets round to showing us the refurbished models ill have to hide my wallet ...

Agreed...for me that livery always looked best on 50's and 37's...didn't quite cut it for me on Duffs...

The question is...will Bachfar actually get round to retooling their 50?

Notwithstanding CJM's excellent new 50...it's perhaps not readily affordable and I certainly can't justify to my family spending that much on one loco during these difficult economic times.

Shame...cos its a real beauty.

• RMweb Premium

The question is...will Bachfar actually get round to retooling their 50?

I can't see them retooling it at the moment as Bachmann don't have a 50 in 00. Given this I see Dapol being a more likely manufacturer.

Guest jim s-w

And the finest looking RTR class 50 in any scale I reckon?

Jon

You cant seriously believe that jon? It's no improvement over the Hornby one with an even worse gap above the bogies (that themselves are over wide and have axle boxes that don't line up with the axles) and it still hasnt got the kink in the rainstrip above the cab doors that Hornby missed. Usually it's a struggle to tell cjm desiels from a well detailed 4mm scale version but this one is very obviously n gauge.

Cjm set a very high standard with their locos and this one gets no where near it IMHO

Cheers

Jim

• RMweb Premium

They didn't have a Cl.101 either, so it doesn't necessarily follow.

However the 101 was announced when Bachmann took Farish over (as a reintroduction admittedly) and since then Bachmann have said that they want to replicate their 4mm line up.

They didn't have a Cl.101 either, so it doesn't necessarily follow.

Except they had been promising a reintroduction of the 101 since Bachmann had bought Farish. I wouldn't be suprised to see an 00 101 in Bachmann's plans in the next couple of years.

However the 101 was announced when Bachmann took Farish over (as a reintroduction admittedly) and since then Bachmann have said that they want to replicate their 4mm line up.

And could that not be possible for a Class 50 too at some future date? If anything it proves that where an old Farish model exists you can't rule out a new N gauge version even if they've not, as yet, done it in 00. There are even a few models that they've only done in N, like the Class 60, the HAA Merry-Go-Round hopper and Stanier coaches, though in this case the Class 60 was originally announced by the old Farish company.

You cant seriously believe that jon? It's no improvement over the Hornby one with an even worse gap above the bogies (that themselves are over wide and have axle boxes that don't line up with the axles) and it still hasnt got the kink in the rainstrip above the cab doors that Hornby missed. Usually it's a struggle to tell cjm desiels from a well detailed 4mm scale version but this one is very obviously n gauge.

Cjm set a very high standard with their locos and this one gets no where near it IMHO

Cheers

Jim

Hi Jim

The website states "full production bogie frames with correct clearances have yet to be fitted"

The trouble I have with the Hornby model is its innacuracy is its least offensive quality - , everyone goes on about the windscreens (when the real error is more with the cantrail/cab roof) Bit I get a much bigger smack in the face from the hideous bodyside louvres, plastic waffle roof grille, gaps around the opening doors, tiny wheels, missing lifting eyes and strange compressor frames - amongst other things, and then its usually painted wrong as well :(

The CJM model is a bit easier on the eye (although the windscreens 'droop' is perhaps a litle bit to exaggerated compared to the rainstrip) as theres no clumsy play features and its a bit better observed - Id say an attempt has been made to capture the droop on the rainstrip , maybe a bit too subtley.

As much as I love 50s , I hate buying Hornby models because of all the work needed to turn it into something that can be taken seriously. The CJM 50 would do me just fine :) If i could afford all 50....

• RMweb Gold

Hi . I had a good look at TINGS at the two models Chris had - jaw dropping and given about 120 is the max annual production along with the other works £495 is as good as it gets. I need to ensure cash flow but I am going for a named 50007 in blue - unrefurb in homage!

Robert Shrives

Guest jim s-w

The CJM 50 would do me just fine :) If i could afford all 50....

If you could you could also afford all 50 in 7mm scale...

Cheers

Jim

If you could you could also afford all 50 in 7mm scale...

Cheers

Jim

Actually , make that 51 - I'd have to have 'Defiance' twice :)

I built a 7mm 50 and tbh I didn't like it - the cabs are no more accurate than any of the others scales. In fact, being that much bigger, it made it look worse - thats something I really dont understand with 7mm kits, but thats for a whole different topic.

tfn

Jon

This is not Switzerland!

Well, Chris always has and has had a long wating list for his models. So there are enough people around in the UK to sustain a market.

495 doesn't buy you much in Fulgurex or Lemaco rnages these days. Try 995 instead But even CJM does not match up to the latest quality from the Swiss.

Chris Higgs

Archived