Woodmores Scrapyard

Wow! That really is a stunning piece of work, beautifully observed.

As a couple of people have commented, in many ways it's a morbid and disturbing subject, but I must admit I'd love to see it modelled on a working transition-era layout to the quality you've achieved in your diorama- it seems to be something very rarely modelled, especially to such effect

Thanks for all the nice comments, guys. The Hornby track was in my local model shop and the Hornby rep. was in who confirmed that most dealers had some.

I have just finished the scrapyard, and am hoping it may appear in print some time.

In the meantime, here's 36 mm2 of Bulleid tender. 'Can you tell what it is yet?'.

post-7246-0-64698400-1327172821.jpg

Happy modelling!

It's the B.R. lion, it's attention to detail like this that lifts this diorama. I've seen a few scrap yards modeled and this one is the best.

OzzyO.

HI

Have you thought of using a very light fishing line to pull the cran hook down?,other than that this is a top bit of modeling .

Are there any book that show you how to get the rust effect?

All the best

Darren

This is the single best bit of 4mm modelling I have seen. The level of realism and accurate detail is fantastic. My mind boggles at the amount of research you must have done, not to mention how long it took to build. You have truly inspired me, thanks for sharing.

Can you please tell me exactly how do you create that fantastic rust, paint and texture effect?

Hi Guys,

I’m overwhelmed by your comments, but really, this diorama is no better than anything the military modelling guys turn out day after day. It’s much easier to model a small space like this to a high standard when you don’t have to worry about running locos and operational interest.

I intend to write an article about the diorama and will get around to this as soon as things quieten down at work (must do sometime surely!).

I don’t know of any particular book that explains the processes I have used, but they’re not mine. All I have done is to pick up ideas from the military modelling press.

I know what you mean about the crane wiring, but like Cuneo’s mouse, I want to leave something in to show it’s not real….. well that’s my excuse for missing this detail! I could have doctored the pictures of course, but I don’ use Photoshop to materially alter the photos of any my modelling. They really are WYSIWYG - including the backgrounds, which for the diorama are hand painted. Very rarely I might clone out the odd hair, (where do they all come from – by rights I should be bald by now!) but I don’t consider that altering or misrepresenting the model.

Happy modelling,

Michael

• RMweb Gold

Michael,

If nothing else, you have certainly raised the bar on how I (and possibly many other railway modellers) look at weathering and micro-scenics : to say it's nothing special is probably a bit of an understatement.

The voting shows that this diorama ticks so many boxes - thanks for sharing it with us.

Stu

Now THAT'S modelling!

It really would be great to see these shots in high-resolution since the quality of this piece of excellent work really needs visual exploring in hi-res detail.

Presumably all the locos were scratch-built?

Top marks from me!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I haven't posted on rmweb for far too long!

Appols for that, but anyway, this just prompted me to post something,

as it is just brilliant on so many levels....

I can only echo what has been said above - absolutely superb modelling,

and yes, I agree, it's far easier to achieve a higher standard

when modelling a small area - that's why I chose micro and small layouts

every time these days...

You appologise for the subject matter being "morbid"

but really, you don't have to..

Esteeemed modeller Iain Rice says "We can't all model the pretty all the time"

and if realism is what many of us aspire to,

then we simply must not overlook the run-down, the rusty, the grimy. the oil-stained,

the scrap metal, the lineside rubbish etc

I would go so far to say, that the majority of us DON'T model these elements enough....

Also, though the subject was a steam "graveyard" - certainly Barry contributed

more than anywhere else, to the pheonix like rise-from-the-ashes to the preservation movement!

just where would our preserved lines be today, were it not for Dai Woodham?

I too was a young, inexperienced spotter, clambering amid the "pre health & safety obsessed"

jagged edges, rusting metal, noxious substances, asbestos ETC ETC!!!

I too jotted down numbers of engines I could scarcely identify (and would struggle now with some unfamiliar classes). I had to buy a copy of the print "Sleeping giants" as soon as I saw it in Ian Allen - It just took me back....

However, your model has taken me back and more! I can smell the fresh air, of a mid-summers morning,

I can almost touch the sharp edged corroding metals.... I nearly slipped on a patch of something oily! :)

I have pondered and planned both a Cashmores and a Barry micro for some time...

you have set the benchmark, and I can only hope to achieve something like your standard (if I'm lucky)

Thank you so much for building it.....

Now that's what I call a time machine

Cheers

Marc

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • Administrators

Hi all,

Just to let you know that the Woodmores Scrapyard diorama is featured in the September issue of BRM - on-sale on Thursday. It also includes an article on modelling rust.

Thanks,

Steve

Archived