Speed Wharf - A Defunct Wharf

SXHALL

Well here is my entry to the 2011 competition, Speed Wharf.

Having grown up in the Royal Docks in east London I saw buildings similar to this daily. In latter years I spent many an hour cycling around the rivers and canals that are now a central part of the Olympic park in Stratford. All the while I was aware of the dereliction in the area and of what once was and so this is where I have drawn inspiration.

Speed Wharf is aimed to be of a generic area of riverside based around the late 80's to early 90's just prior to everything being redeveloped. The warehouse itself is of concrete column and brick infill panel construction, I'm sure we have all seen one similar to it, somewhere!

Background

Speed Wharf was an old interchange between the river and railway offering onward transport or warehousing of any goods it could handle. As goods moved more to road and the river was left behind Speed Wharf clung on to what little freight it could by utilising Railfreight services. It was barely filling one van a week before it's final demise in 1987 and all the freight was transferred to road.

As we see Speed Wharf now it has been neglected for several years. On the odd occasion a van or flat may venture as far as Speed Wharf as part some marshalling going on further along, but this is a rare event.

And so to now as we see Speed Wharf. The land has been sold and will be redeveloped in to some YUPPIE 'apartments' for the new breed of 'city boy's'. Recently the developers sign for the apartments has been placed overlooking the river to try and woo any passers by on the river.

​Pictures

First up the main view

post-9441-0-54911200-1317584050_thumb.jpg

Shot from the right showing the developers sign

post-9441-0-52702800-1317584101_thumb.jpg

Shot from the left looking across the front of the warehouse loading dock

post-9441-0-62661000-1317584115_thumb.jpg

Close up of the loading dock (favourite picture)

post-9441-0-99169200-1317584120_thumb.jpg

View from the right end

post-9441-0-17232500-1317584130_thumb.jpg

An aerial shot of the concrete apron

post-9441-0-53512500-1317584137_thumb.jpg

An overall shot of the entire diorama

post-9441-0-13923300-1317584147_thumb.jpg

Close up of the front of the warehouse

post-9441-0-17548100-1317584155_thumb.jpg

You will find the build thread here. I have some details in there but if you are wanting to know how I completed it drop me a question.

Well thanks for looking and I hope you have enjoyed looking at my effort. I was a bit late in starting this one but it added to the fun I feel!

I'll probably add some more shots on when I have time as well!

Steven

PS Roll on 2012's competition!!

Very realistic,

concrete and dereliction look superb :yes:

Thanks Stuart, missed your reply. Not spending so much time in the forum now I have finished my entry, strange that! My wife still recognises me though :D

Steven

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Very very nice. Great concept. The colours and the texture are just so...right. The concrete is especially good, I think. And built in a really short time too. I see that Weber have occupied the industrial lot next door :-)

Very very nice. Great concept. The colours and the texture are just so...right. The concrete is especially good, I think. And built in a really short time too. I see that Weber have occupied the industrial lot next door :-)

Thanks, Weber have indeed moved in the weather did not! :D

Archived