Model Rail 162 November 2011

dibber25

Contents:

News; Photos of latest Hornby samples at MR Live (B1, Gresley full brake etc)

Bachmann Blue Pullman computer image

Model Rail Live photo-feature

Review: Farish 'A1' 4-6-2

Hornby brake van

Heljan Class 55 (O gauge)

Finescale Brass O gauge 'Manor'

Dapol N class 26

Ramsbottom 1950 layout

Workbench: How to brush paint

Build a Command Station

Upgrade MGR coal wagons

Supertest: Fillers

Masterclass: Figures, How to paint/modify

Paint Hornby's new Skaledale buildings

Make a scene: Dave Lowery's Dunmere Crossing

Clive Hardwick's bespoke buildings

How to create realistic loads

Ruddington OO layout

Show & Tell

Fen End Pit - working diorama

Repairing Townstreet stonecast buildings

Q&A

Exhibition Diary.

And here is the obligatory front cover - rather eye catching, but I would say that!

post-6681-0-12448800-1317827975.jpg

Ruddington (on the cover and in the mag) was photographed by me, not the gent credited - the boys have been rather busy so will let them off :boast:

<<edited to include cover grab>>

• RMweb Premium

Mine arrived about 30 minutes ago so only time for a quick look but there appears to be serious omission at the back of the mag :O :nono:

Agreed Mike, Just had a quick flick through my subscription copy and there must be a printing error..... perhaps the copies in WH Smith will be correct?.......

Chris where are you? - You should know we all turn to your page first!

Regards,

Other than that major ommission, it looks very good (again) this month!

I hope you all liked Ramsbottom 1950.....because this layout is owned by our club :locomotive:

Chris, im surprised there was no mention of Ramsbottom on the front cover, I have emailed Ben/Richard for a copy of the article/pictures so i can use them on our website and show our layout.

In the October issue they said next month a begginers guide to using a multi meter, any body find it in the November issue I do wish they would stick to what they advertise id going in the next issue.

Sorry but we have to be flexible to accommodate additional material after trhe 'next issue' page is done. In this case there are 12 pages of major reviews and pretty much everything gives way to reviews when it is necessary to do so. The multi-meter feature is going into 163 at present.

CHRIS LEIGH

• RMweb Gold

.....and I also missed the serious omission at the back of the magazine....thought it may have been moved to in front of the adverts....but no....I'm gutted.

....can we get 100,000 signatures on a petition so that this glaring omission can be debated in Parliament? :scratchhead:

Keith

• RMweb Premium

.....and I also missed the serious omission at the back of the magazine....thought it may have been moved to in front of the adverts....but no....I'm gutted.

....can we get 100,000 signatures on a petition so that this glaring omission can be debated in Parliament? :scratchhead:

Keith

Agreed - I dont think Chris realises what a huge following he has. - I can feel a "Dear Editor" letting coming on!!! - Signed "Angry in Hove!"

I thought I read a post saying someone had had two copies? I came home today to find two subscriber copies had arrived. Both for me.

Neither of them had 'Backscene' in either.

OMG I clearly missed out all round this month!!!- I only received one subscriber copy - and clearly no Chris Leigh :-( LOL

spoted a Boo Boo in the review of the Bachmann/ModelZone SR N class its downs as N gauge when its OO

Not the only one - there are quite a few typos in this issue (CJM class 50 in OO? amongst others). I have noticed an increasing number of typos creeping into issues recently - the new format is good but if it is to be useful the annotations at least need to be correct.

I shall write out 100 times "We must check the icons more carefully".

Sorry for the lack of 'Backscene' but it sometimes has to go when there are extra, unexpected review items late in the schedule. At present it IS in MR163 but there's a week to go till press day and a certain Midland 4-4-0 just arrived in the office.

CHRIS LEIGH

spoted a Boo Boo in the review of the Bachmann/ModelZone SR N class its downs as N gauge when its OO

Also it says that the model is not DCC ready. As has been revealed in these pages, this latest N Class is capable of being fitted with a 6-pin chip, the modelzone special edition differs from the catalogue edition only because it is not shipped with a decoder on board.

Modelzone have been slow off the mark in realising the specification of their product, but also it raises some doubt as to the depth of the examination carried out by the reviewer.

PB

• RMweb Premium

.....Sorry for the lack of 'Backscene' but it sometimes has to go when there are extra, unexpected review items late in the schedule. .......

CHRIS LEIGH

Suggest Backscene is increased in size to two pages, that way it will stay in the magazine!

• RMweb Gold

Suggest Backscene is increased in size to two pages, that way it will stay in the magazine!

An excellent idea - perhaps it could also incorporate a few personal review comments as well, something a little more subjective and drawing very much on Chris's view of the hobby and the offerings of today compared with the past etc so that way it could be counted as 'review' and not have to cede space to the front end of the mag?

PS This is not a personality cult thing but 'Backscene' always provides an interesting personal sidelight on the hobby from an informed and experienced perspective which I think adds something special to 'Model Rail'.

• RMweb Premium

Really liked Ramsbottom article. But is it me or was it chopped down? The narrative seemed to end quite suddenly. Could really have done with more. Also if short on space why have we had two page spreads for what seems like an eternity plugging "Model Rail Live". Hopefully they've got it out their system with the last two page spread showing the actual event, but then again I would rather have had 2 further pages on Ramsbottom .

Archived