National Railway Museum 'Midland Compound' - Photo review

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Have received an e mail to confirm my order.

It will replace one (or rather 2 as I keep a spare) Hornby compounds.

I'll still use my much loved one built from a GEM kit, it's over 40 years old and still runs very well. It could do with a new paint job though!

David

Just found out that they will no longer ship to the US I got my Deltic but looks like no Midland compound for me :-( What's the deal over there ??

My goodness...that is a surprise ! I was hoping they would ship to Australia as they did for my City of Truro but it looks like they may have changed their shipping policy. Does anybody know if they will ship overseas ?

I hope I do not have to buy the Hornby model !

My goodness...that is a surprise ! I was hoping they would ship to Australia as they did for my City of Truro but it looks like they may have changed their shipping policy. Does anybody know if they will ship overseas ?

I hope I do not have to buy the Hornby model !

I dunno but the NRM sure send me enough advertising spam through my Email address.........

Best, Pete.

I am a bit puzzled by the review which expresses doubts that this loco will run slowly using DC. What sort of controller was used in the test ? The City of Truro ran very slowly using a basic DC controller so I cannot see why the Midland compound would not. Would it not have the same mechanism and motor ?

I am a bit puzzled by the review which expresses doubts that this loco will run slowly using DC. What sort of controller was used in the test ? The City of Truro ran very slowly using a basic DC controller so I cannot see why the Midland compound would not. Would it not have the same mechanism and motor ?

I honestly couldn't answer that for you as I was operating the controller blind from outside the layout, the knob was part of a larger control panel. I'm sure further feedback from other users will be given from a variety of controllers in due course. It's up to you whether you accept the findings I put forward with a video to back up the comments I made.

Without DCC there are controllers and there are controllers. I have a Lima just for spinning wheels while I spray chassis. As soon as the knob hits the current, the chassis flies into action. My layout used a Gaugemaster with a second knob for brake control. Dependant on how the latter was set, the first turn of the controller often saw no response from a loco, then it started to move off very slowly. The same delay occured when shutting down and the loco travelled some distance before stopping. I have experienced similar using a friends DCC controller where some degree of "driving" is called for.

I honestly couldn't answer that for you as I was operating the controller blind from outside the layout, the knob was part of a larger control panel. I'm sure further feedback from other users will be given from a variety of controllers in due course. It's up to you whether you accept the findings I put forward with a video to back up the comments I made.

Fair enough. I guess we will have to wait and see the results once the loco goes on sale but I am willing to bet it will crawl nice and slowly with a decent controller if the performance of the City of Truro is anything to go by.

I have recently purchased a Liliput controller/transformer from Hattons for 14 pounds and I have found it gives excellent control at low speeds. I was so impressed that I have ordered another one ; once they are sold out (7 left as of last night) Hattons will not be stocking them again. This is very frustrating as they are much better than the standard Bachman and Hornby controllers....not to mention cheaper as well !

I've spoken to the NRM this morning about the international order position. The response is as follows:

Yes, I have just spoken to Shildon from where I bought my previous City of Truro loco and they said there is no problem shipping overseas. The previous poster from the US probably just spoke to the ''wrong'' person.

It is odd that this is a limited edition loco whereas the City of Truro was not. I wonder why they decided to make the Midland compound a limited edition ?

They do a pretty god job of keeping things secret considering the time in development and the number of people involved in the design and production.

It's not a limited edition as such (defined as having a specific number of items issued with accompanying certificate) but an 'exclusive edition' which has an initial run of 2,500 + 500 of this model. As with the Deltic there could be further variations upon the model dependent on demand.

Just found out that they will no longer ship to the US I got my Deltic but looks like no Midland compound for me :-(

I've spoken to the NRM this morning about the international order position. The response is as follows:

International Orders can be taken by the National Railway Museum Retail store please contact on:

+44 1904 686 240 or

email: nrm.shop@nrm.org.uk

Yes, I have just spoken to Shildon from where I bought my previous City of Truro loco and they said there is no problem shipping overseas. The previous poster from the US probably just spoke to the ''wrong'' person.

It is confusing that on the NRM shop's terms and conditions web page they do clearly say:

International Delivery

We regret that we do not currently deliver to addresses outside the EU.

Yet they are indeed happy to take telephone orders using the number that Andy describes and ship these overseas with the appropriate modifications for VAT.

After all, they are first and foremost a museum, not an 'e-tailer'. I bought my 'City of Truro' by placing a telephone order. It can be a bit tricky given to get a live person, given the time zone differences, but it can be managed.

It is confusing that on the NRM shop's terms and conditions web page they do clearly say:

Yet they are indeed happy to take telephone orders using the number that Andy describes and ship these overseas with the appropriate modifications for VAT.

After all, they are first and foremost a museum, not an 'e-tailer'. I bought my 'City of Truro' by placing a telephone order. It can be a bit tricky given to get a live person, given the time zone differences, but it can be managed.

Antipodean buyers should be aware that the company chosen by NRM for overseas shipment was charging

£45 for delivering City of Truro to Australia - and therefore the VAT refund would not, in this instance, cover the postage costs.

Antipodean buyers should be aware that the company chosen by NRM for overseas shipment was charging

£45 for delivering City of Truro to Australia - and therefore the VAT refund would not, in this instance, cover the postage costs.

Must be the same company they use to ship to Ireland. Sorry but at £19.95 postage to Ireland you're surely having a laugh. :O

I have just finished a very pleasant 'phone call from a young lady at the NRM shop. She has accepted my reservation for a "standard" issue compound, has taken all card and despatch details, and quoted the price less VAT, plus 17 pounds post to Australia. Bargain.!!!!

Full marks to the NRM for customer service and efficiency, they called me from a voice message I left! Expected delivery ~6 weeks. a pleasure doing business. :angel:

Cheers, Peter C.

Archived