National Railway Museum 'Midland Compound' - Photo review

Andy Y

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Has anybody had one of these Midland Compounds or a City of Truro posted to an overseas destination ? Apparently they cannot deduct VAT if I buy from Shildon but I do not know what the situation is if I buy from York. It is very difficult to get hold of anybody on York who knows what is going on no matter which number I call. The VAT is quite substantial if buying two locomotives !

Has anybody had one of these Midland Compounds or a City of Truro posted to an overseas destination ? Apparently they cannot deduct VAT if I buy from Shildon but I do not know what the situation is if I buy from York.

Can't speak for ordering any kettles, but York kept the VAT on my Deltic. The shipping method certainly cost more than what they charged me for shipping, so I recovered a bit of the lost VAT there...

• 2 months later...

All very nice except that the cylinder covers on mine had been stuck firmly on with a very good glue leaving the fixing studs still in place when I finally got the covers off, has any one else had this problem. NRM & Bachmann tell me that my experience is unique!!

• 1 year later...

An excellent review along with an exceptional model, it was the review on you tube with 'InterCity82' that prompted the order and we shall be taking a look at other models by NRM in future. Thanks for the photographs, it can be noted that the colour boarders on being a dark crimson. Such intricate detail spurned purchase and is our first Crimson loco as we are SR fans but could not resist purchase when seeing it in action. (..and the fact that the real one was at Highley Station, being shunted as a reminder of the pub that my parents lived in just below the station)

• RMweb Premium

Dare I point out that the shed plate is crooked? Ain't she a beauty though. That's the second red loco I've been tempted by in the last month or so. Perhaps if I go without food and walk everywhere for a month or two.......

Ed

Gentleman.  That is a great looking model that has been done by Bachmann, and is a credit to the NRM on commisioning such a model.

But to say the shed plate is crooked is to much and can be rectified by the avreage modeler. So please could we all agree that it is a extremely excellent model.If you like a 99.9% perfect model buy a kit and build it .In my eyes it is visual correct.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi

I've recently acquired one of these and am attempting to chip it. How on earth do you get the tender top off? Seemed pretty firmly fixed even after removing the two tiny screws and the larger one at the rear....

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

Hi

I've recently acquired one of these and am attempting to chip it. How on earth do you get the tender top off? Seemed pretty firmly fixed even after removing the two tiny screws and the larger one at the rear....

Thanks

...... with great difficulty.....

If I remember correctly there are a couple of lugs at the front of the tender which have to be wiggled about until they free themselves from the tender chassis.

Keith

• 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...

You mean that if I had waited then for an additional £8.71 I could also have got three carriages and some track. With NRM charging so much for shipping I would actually have saved a few bob

Grrrrrrrrrr

Its actually the postage which is the killer with the NRM.

However it is per order so you can get several locos at one time for the one postage cost  :yes:

Archived