Heljan Class 27

rorz101uk

Email Heljan, they might be able to tell you their class 27 plans. I quite fancy D5380 in two tone green.

Me too !!!

Wish I'd had one of the batch, but was the masking around the headcode boxes slightly wrong on them ?

• Like 1

Heljan did the two tone Class 27 a few years back, and yes there are a few problems paint wise on the model. Heljan did D5382, but D5380 was also in this livery.

1. The area on the cab ends between the upper edge of the windows and the rain strip should be gray. Heljan painted these green. The grey should in fact extend under the head code panel, granted it is a very fine line here. This grey extends around the side and the top of the doors are in fact roof gray.
  2. The yellow warning panel is also too wide. The vertical edge should end just inside the lamp irons, on the Heljan offering the vertical edge extends past the irons.
  3. The green on the body side goes up too high, by maybe 1mm. The bottom edge of the vents along the cantrail should be grey, they are green on the model. Care here, if you come down too much with the gray, you'll hit the top edge of the radiator frame, which appears to be green in prototype photos

None of this is hard to fix, and if you are going to weather it, your sins will be forgiven.

The two tone unit is an earlier model with the older wheel sets, if you pick up a second hand one, do yourself a favor and replace the wheel sets with the newer plated ones.

This is my favorite Class 27 livery, it is very smart!

Edited by Pete Piszczek
  • Like 1

Are there any other livieries that they worn at all?

Yes 5355 was repainted all over economy green in 1970 with crests and full yellow ends. I saw it in the paintshop at St.Rollox together with 5335 and a 61XX all receiving green paint! Apparently they were touch up jobs (looked like full repaints to me). The guide taking me round said they had run out of blue paint! D5370 was similarly treated.

D5379 received a weird part repaint in green around the cab ends in 1970 also. It had previously received full yellow ends at Cricklewood with wrap around yellow on the cab windows. Once transferred to Scotland it had the wrap around yellow part painted green, the complete cabside thus looking like some of the 33's that were similarly treated.

D5389 received Blue small yellow panels and ran for about three years like this.

D5406 received the BR double arrow emblems on its engineroom doors whilst green with full yellow ends.

I have recently moved a lot of my photopic images over to flickr so feel free to look at http://www.flickr.com/photos/59835095@N02/ where there is a section for Class 27's in all sorts of liveries.

As I said in a previous post a visit to the Heljan stand at Warley will prove worthwhile!

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

Me too !!!

Wish I'd had one of the batch, but was the masking around the headcode boxes slightly wrong on them ?

i managed to get one off ebay for a reasonable price. I was supprised to find it has the old fashioned copper coloured wheels. I thought they abandoned them with the early hymeks.....Looks like I'll have to order some replacements from Howes.

I asked at the Heljan stand at Warley about another batch of 27's.

The good news is they have plans for another run "next year".

The bad news is "late next year".

At least I can stop contemplating buying one at current eBay prices.

But the real good news is that there should be some further livery variations for both Scottish and Midland modellers. I will post on here as soon as I have further details of numbers and e.t.a. and you wont be disappointed!

• Like 1

But the real good news is that there should be some further livery variations for both Scottish and Midland modellers. I will post on here as soon as I have further details of numbers and e.t.a. and you wont be disappointed!

Thanks Grahame.

Great news

• 9 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Not quite.

Judging by Bachmanns last round of pre-orders that appeared on the RoS website youll be waiting approx another 2 maybe 3 months unless Heljans delivery times are quicker than Bachmanns.

Heljan website states due for release in September - http://www.Heljan.dk/faste_filer/modul.asp?vis=nyhedmod&fModul=web661.asp&mode=laesnyhed&artikelid=322