Heljan Class 27

rorz101uk

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone,

Has anyone got an older Heljan Class 27 in Br Blue for sale. It dos not  matter if its TOPS or pre-Tops.

Thanks,

Will.

(or the one in the image attached)

$_57.JPG

Hello Will,

I have a 27 for sale if you still want one. 

• 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Were all of the Class 27s fitted with brackets for the mini plows from new? I'm thinking in particular of the non-boiler batch allocated to NE England. I've seen photos of them with plows fitted in the late 1970s but I'm wondering if I could get away with fitting plows to an early 70s green version.

Thanks Stovepipe

27030/D5377 is the particular loco I'm thinking of. I wonder when it received the brackets. Photos suggest it had them by 1978 but I'm looking at the GFYE version. I think I may have to leave out the plows unless anyone knows otherwise.

All the best

Max

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Stovepipe

27030/D5377 is the particular loco I'm thinking of. I wonder when it received the brackets. Photos suggest it had them by 1978 but I'm looking at the GFYE version. I think I may have to leave out the plows unless anyone knows otherwise.

All the best

Max

Yes I think that loco went blue in late 1972 or early 1973, and was not photographed with snowploughs until quite sometime later. I'm wondering if the later snowplough conversions didn't start happening until after the first withdrawals in 1975-77.

Edited by stovepipe

Does anyone know of a good photo of the space under the non-boiler versions where the boiler water tank would have been located? The Heljan version has a horizontal plate that appears to be the top of the missing water tank but it would be good to see a decent photo before I take a scalpel to the loco. Any help much appreciated.

• RMweb Gold

There's a distinct lack of TOPS blue examples around at the moment. Just when I fancied a couple.

There seems to have always been a lack of TOPS 27s. Rare as rocking horse brown stuff. I have three pre-TOPS versions waiting to be renumbered as that was all I could get.

Roy

• 3 months later...

As this seems to be the Class 27 thread, I thought I should post here rather than start a new topic.

Heljan have produced different versions of the class with the tablet catcher recess. In green livery, sometimes the bodyside stripe continues along the recess; sometimes it does not.

What happened on the prototype? I can find very few images of green examples with the recess and none (so far) showing whether or not the stripe continued.

So which is correct, or is it both, which locos had which and which model is which?

Thanks.

Geoff Endacott

• RMweb Premium

Looking at BrushVeteran's Flickr:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/59835095@N02/sets/72157627936919488/

of the ones that can be seen, the white stripe would seem to end at the edge of the catcher recess. Will look through some other links I have to see if there are any clear shots

Edit: one from David Christie https://www.flickr.com/photos/david_christie/6331437186/in/album-72157625740408533/

Edited by keefer

Geoff, I think they were painted - but it was soon obscured by a combination of shadow and crud accumulating in the recess.

These are early 60s shots, a bit earlier than keefer's link: 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/24041160@N02/14005278955/in/album-72157644299525685/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/24041160@N02/14002076942/in/album-72157644299525685/

I added it to my pair, just popped the moulding off the back, added the stripe and then refitted.  Easy peasy :)

post-6670-0-31471300-1509217355_thumb.jpg

• Like 3