Some 2BIL & Tin Hal on Ouse Valley Viaduct

Re6/6

• RMweb Gold

Here are some shots taken at S4um this year by David Brandreth (courtesy of the Scalefour Society) of some units that felt very much at home on the viaduct!

They were kindly lent to us to play with at the show by the proprietor of AyJay models They're one piece resin cast bodies I believe.

2BIL

post-6728-0-19283000-1319453049_thumb.jpg

'Tin' HAL

post-6728-0-89046700-1319453318_thumb.jpg

2BIL & post war ('Tin')2HAL

post-6728-0-16491000-1319453494_thumb.jpg

Hmmm. I have one of those 'Tin HAL' kits on my workbench at the moment. The detailing is a little chunky but it looks like what it should. I am fitting separate jumper cables (wire) and may reduce some of the inner end detail depth as well but overall I'm quite happy with the way it is shaping up.

The BIL unit looks rather nice too, and makes an interesting comparison with my unbuilt Kirk kit ... the Ayjay one has a lot less work involved to get a good running model going.

• RMweb Gold

Hmmm. I have one of those 'Tin HAL' kits on my workbench at the moment. The detailing is a little chunky but it looks like what it should. I am fitting separate jumper cables (wire) and may reduce some of the inner end detail depth as well but overall I'm quite happy with the way it is shaping up.

The BIL unit looks rather nice too, and makes an interesting comparison with my unbuilt Kirk kit ... the Ayjay one has a lot less work involved to get a good running model going.

They would look a lot better with some flush glazing. This would be a very time consuming and fiddly business but well worth I think. I'm doing a flush glaze job on a Hornby 153 conversion by using the original glazing strip and cut out the window shapes with a diamond cutting disc, a little bit at a time and I'm fairly happy with the result.

post-6728-0-29600900-1319542840.jpg

For this (AyJay kit and other applications) I'm going to try a glazing material called 'clear PETG sheet' available from Squires in 0.5mm, 1mm, 1.5mm & 2mm thicknesses. It's claimed to be 'superior in clarity with a "crystal" clear appearance'. I'll be trying the1.5mm & 2mm ones. On the 153 conversion all windows except two were successful with just a push fit. I'll try 'Klear' or 'canopy glue' on the loose ones. Any info on the use and fixing of this type of glazing would be welcome.

Regarding the kits themselves they do certainly look the part, but could be immeasurably improved with flush glazing and 'making finer' all the pipes, wires & fittings generally

One of the units was powered with a Tenshodo 'Spud' and the other a 'Black Beetle'. No contest at all as to which was the better. The 'Spud' was having trouble moving the two cars. The other alternative would be a 'Low Rider' power unit from Chris Gibbons at High Level. I've built and fitted one to the 153 and it runs absolutely superbly.

post-6728-0-75732400-1319543958.jpg

The detailing on those EMUs does seem a little on the heavy side, but they are a massive improvement from some of their earlier efforts (the top heavy looking 4-SUB for example) and I'm sure they will sell well.

I'd prefer an etched Tin Hal myself.

Hmmm. I have one of those 'Tin HAL' kits on my workbench at the moment.

Any chance of some photos?

• RMweb Gold

I'd prefer an etched Tin Hal myself.

There is always the Phoenix aluminium kit available (?) from the SRG. I assume that they're like the old BSL Hobbytime ali coach kits with separate sides rather than in wrapper form. I've made several of those BSL GW coaches in the past which, with work, made into quite presentable models.

• RMweb Gold

I've kind of given up on ever getting anything out of SRG sales again -

Oh dear Pete that sounds a shame. I was hoping to order a kit or two from them. I do note that on the SRG website they say that they will only do kits for SRG members (which I joined last year) ATM, but that note is dated 2010.

I have sprayed a coat of grey primer on my 2HAL now. I also filed down some of the heavier details on the front of the DTC but am still working on the DMBS. I removed the moulded jumpers on the DTC and will do the same on the DMBS in due course. I'll post some pics in my workbench thread (as soon as I find it again!) but here is one to illustrate my (slow!) progress. I really need to move out from the model slightly as the front is a little blurred (depth of field). Will try to get better shots as I progress.

2HALDTCcropped-800.jpg

Looking at those 2BIL pics, I like what i see but I have noticed that the front profile is not quite right. I think there should be more prominent tumblehome to the cab sides where they meet the front panels. It still looks like a 2BIL though, which is what counts.

• RMweb Gold

Looking at those 2BIL pics, I like what i see but I have noticed that the front profile is not quite right. I think there should be more prominent tumblehome to the cab sides where they meet the front panels. It still looks like a 2BIL though, which is what counts.

I think that you're quite right about the front profile.

http://www.google.co...m%3Disch&itbs=1

It's something to do with the vertical rainstrip (?) on the model. There should be a little more tumblehome visible from a front view, if you see what I mean!

As you say though, it looks like a 2BIL (so it must be a 2BIL!)

• 1 year later...

Phil

Not sure what you mean by modified here. The ones photographed on the viaduct were samples produced by AyJay and as far as I know were production versions. As for whether any modifications have been made by AyJay since, I don't know, the best person to ask would be Aryan himself.

Main comments about them have been referred to above. Considering they are resin kits I think they are very acceptable, but close up the detail (especially the roof piping etc) is a bit on the chunky side for me. Depends on viewpoint and distance of viewing I guess.

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update on my Ayjay 'Tin' HAL. This is in running condition on DCC but has no glazing fitted at this stage. I do want to flush glaze those corridor side windows but if I do that it will show up all the rest, particularly on this side of the DMBS. (Sorry about the out of focus front end - this was taken hastily on my phone camera).

gallery_6935_514_75645.jpg

This second photo has the front end in focus but the rest is blurred!

gallery_6935_514_67639.jpg

Looking at the Ayjay kits, the detail seems to get finer with each new release. If you look at John's 2 BIL the roof details are a little less chunky than the 'Tin' HAL's.

I am now eyeing off their 2 HAP kit. They are still a good starting point and a lot easier than Colin Park's scratchbuilding (which has much finer detail, of course - excellent and very desirable models!).

I do like those 2 BIL kits but they are now about to be eclipsed by the Hornby releases.

With apologies to John for somewhat hijacking his thread.

Archived