Cement Lorries

Bartb

Jon, great pictures. Considering all the intrest in cement traffic, you would have thought that someone would have produced a model of a cement tanker.

A bulk powder tanker body is available from Road Transport Images:-

http://www.roadtransportimages.com/body-list.html?resetfilters=0&limitstart23=20

Item B22 on top of the third page. This could be combined with any of a number of chassis/ cab combinations from one of the commercial die-cast ranges- the T45/Constructor from Base Toys or the (soon-to-be-available) 3-axle Ergomatic from Oxford Diecast for example.

A bulk powder tanker body is available from Road Transport Images:-

http://www.roadtrans...limitstart23=20

Item B22 on top of the third page. This could be combined with any of a number of chassis/ cab combinations from one of the commercial die-cast ranges- the T45/Constructor from Base Toys or the (soon-to-be-available) 3-axle Ergomatic from Oxford Diecast for example.

I've always felt that their bulk powder tank looked a bit small for 'modern' use, but I've got no facts to back that up. Certainly I was thinking along the same lines as you for the cab - the base toys Leyland can seems a good match.

jon

I think we are all of the same mind, to make our own cement tanker. I have been looking around for a suitable vehicle, and came up with the same idea FC.

The design of the tank doesn't seem to have changed much from the early days, so you could even have a Leyland Comet one- I believe the tanker used in the BR publicity shot for the original Presflo was either a Comet, or the similar looking Dodge (Kew?)

I found 2 more pictures from Lawrence Hill (about 1989-90) of a ERF tanker. One picture shows more detail from the back, so this might help with modeling. FC do you know of any sites where we can find some older pictures?

John

post-7669-0-78044600-1320503544_thumb.jpg

post-7669-0-06119100-1320503564_thumb.jpg

Hi all,

Interesting topic, re Jon H question, the older lorries would at least be spare vehicles if not out of service by 1988, so a yard full of them would look wrong, but one on its own is probably ok.

I made a cement lorry for Pallet Lane ( which has a lawrence hill inspired terminal at one end) so one of these tankers was a must, I used EFE chassis, Langley cab and trnasfers with scratchbuilt body, parts of which came from an old airfix presflo. Some photos attached, but will dig the lorry out and set up the camera one evening next week. to take some more. Judging by the comments it attracts at shows there is defintiely some interest in them!

post-7400-0-31654900-1320526042.jpg

post-7400-0-70505200-1320526054.jpg

There were still Scammell's in service in 1988, I worked on a project between October 1987 and Decenber 1988 which was close to Syston Blue Circle depot near Leicester and the Scammell tankers were still a familiar sight there then.

The first MRJ Compendium featured an article on Barnstaple depot in the late eighties, the Scammell's featured in that as well.

There are bits of Ketton Cement road vehicles getting in the way of the wagons :scratchhead: in a few of the photographs here http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/p852636668

Is it correct that models are not available? This seems incredible considering how many cement depots there were around the country, with different companies etc. These small yards have been popular modelling subjects for many years.

Paul Bartlett

Here is another photo, taken at a show of my Routeman. Since then it has been weathered and had a ladder added. I also intend to repaint the wheels black, I used pictures of a tanker that was preserved (since converted to a tipper) which had grey wheels, but I can't find a picture of one in service with grey wheels.

post-7400-0-95026600-1320616175.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Great to see those photo's of Lawrence Hill. I think the site is now a supermarket. IIRC the BR standard brake is B955006 which is on page 77 of Dave Larkin's 1983-95 book. It was always there, latterly,as I recall.

I used to go past this yard every day on the way to school and remember seeing 03 382 there. Didn't take any photographs (had no camera as a kid!) but did buy the cabside from the 03.....

• 1 month later...

I started this topic 17 months ago, and there is still no RTP cement lorry on the market. With Bachmann's PCA wagon coming out this year lets hope that will get some attention.  If not see you in 17 months time to complain again.

John

Guest Max Stafford

Or you could knock up one of your own, John. How d'you know you can't until you give it a go, pal? :-)

Or you could knock up one of your own, John. How d'you know you can't until you give it a go, pal? :-)

Yes Max, I have the AEC Ergomatic 6 wheel tipper, so I will use the chassis from that, I will buy a bulk powder tanker body from road transport images. But as always there is other things that get in the way, so it will have to wait.

John

Yes Max, I have the AEC Ergomatic 6 wheel tipper, so I will use the chassis from that, I will buy a bulk powder tanker body from road transport images. But as always there is other things that get in the way, so it will have to wait.

John

I am not sure if RTI are still doing the bulk powder body as it is not showing on their website now

Archived