Cement Lorries

Bartb

• RMweb Premium

Blue Circle Cement's fleet of Scammell Routeman powder tanks and flats (yes, few in number, but there were a few) were a regular accompaniment on my walk to and from school in Chippenham in the '80s as they distributed their loads from Westbury cement works, so one or more of these vehicles in on my long term "to do" list.

Apparently Blue Circle tended to cut big holes in the pressure tanks to prevent other operators using the lorries after they were sold off, so the preserved one is rare indeed. Similarly rare is the demounted tank in the farm yard alongside the A350 (a road which it would have regularly travelled in service) north of Beanacre in Wiltshire. I'm inclined to think that this tank is off a later Leyland Constructor lorry, as it has a side ladder rather than the end one which the preserved Scammell has.

The tank is located on private property, on breeze-block supports so any measuring is impossible, but the attached photo is as good as I can get to a "side-on" shot from public property. To me the "clincher" in any model is the shape and size of the rear "snout" which hopefully the photo shows in proportion to the rest of the tank.

post-5204-0-86294000-1362474138.jpg

Adrian

• 5 weeks later...

Blue Circle Cement's fleet of Scammell Routeman powder tanks and flats (yes, few in number, but there were a few) were a regular accompaniment on my walk to and from school in Chippenham in the '80s as they distributed their loads from Westbury cement works, so one or more of these vehicles in on my long term "to do" list.

Apparently Blue Circle tended to cut big holes in the pressure tanks to prevent other operators using the lorries after they were sold off, so the preserved one is rare indeed. Similarly rare is the demounted tank in the farm yard alongside the A350 (a road which it would have regularly travelled in service) north of Beanacre in Wiltshire. I'm inclined to think that this tank is off a later Leyland Constructor lorry, as it has a side ladder rather than the end one which the preserved Scammell has.

The tank is located on private property, on breeze-block supports so any measuring is impossible, but the attached photo is as good as I can get to a "side-on" shot from public property. To me the "clincher" in any model is the shape and size of the rear "snout" which hopefully the photo shows in proportion to the rest of the tank.

attachicon.gifBlue Circle_5 crop.jpg

Adrian

I would agree about the side ladder and it not being from a Routeman but font on the writing is the earlier script which was phased out before the Constructor hit the roads. It also looks too short for an 8 wheeler, I would therefore suggest its either from a Layland Bison or an earlier Foden. I only live 3 miles from it so will try and have a look next time I pass.

• RMweb Premium

I would agree about the side ladder and it not being from a Routeman but font on the writing is the earlier script which was phased out before the Constructor hit the roads. It also looks too short for an 8 wheeler, I would therefore suggest its either from a Layland Bison or an earlier Foden. I only live 3 miles from it so will try and have a look next time I pass.

Ah, the Leyland Bisons, I'd forgotten about those. Yes, that makes more sence, now you say, I can see its a bit short for an 8 wheeler. Glanced over at it on the way home this evening, my normal route home being closed by re-surfacing works.

I will model a Blue Circle tanker one day, always liked them, and a Bison opens up another option. Thanks Rob.

Adrian

Ah, the Leyland Bisons, I'd forgotten about those. Yes, that makes more sence, now you say, I can see its a bit short for an 8 wheeler. Glanced over at it on the way home this evening, my normal route home being closed by re-surfacing works.

I will model a Blue Circle tanker one day, always liked them, and a Bison opens up another option. Thanks Rob.

Adrian

Hi Adrian,

A Bison is on my to do list, as I have the transfers spare from my Routeman (knew I should have made 2 tanks at the time!), the advantage modelling Routeman has over a Bison is readily available cab from Langley, I need to check the RTi back catalogue but I don't think they have done a Bison cab.

Rob

Hi Adrian,

A Bison is on my to do list, as I have the transfers spare from my Routeman (knew I should have made 2 tanks at the time!), the advantage modelling Routeman has over a Bison is readily available cab from Langley, I need to check the RTi back catalogue but I don't think they have done a Bison cab.

Rob

Trux Models did a later Leyland Ergo tractor unit in the 1970s, not a bad model but showing it's age by todays RTI standard. I did ask Frank Waller if he'd consider doing the later cab having done the earlier one and he did say it was possible but no promises on when.

Thanks for that Dinkyme, I better get my order in before they sell out.

John

Just bought one from their stand at Trainwest, Frank confirmed no Bison at present, he does the earlier ergo cab as modelled by EFE/Oxford so will have a bash at one of those. 

Here is a picture of the Road Transport Images B22 bulk tank body, on its intended chassis. RTI advertise it as being for an 8 wheeler, but it looks pretty spot on for a Bison (6 wheeler)

post-7400-0-97144200-1365964942_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I managed to pick up a couple of continental HO cement trailer tanks whilst in Germany last week, and whilst they are HO I think the barrel might just be big enough to do something with, can anyone suggest

1) What diameter the barrel of these two tankers might be? http://www.na3t.org/road/photo/JSc00259-05 http://www.na3t.org/road/photo/JSc00657-03

2) What width the EFE(?) diecast Ergomatic cab is?

Thanks

Jon

I managed to pick up a couple of continental HO cement trailer tanks whilst in Germany last week, and whilst they are HO I think the barrel might just be big enough to do something with, can anyone suggest

1) What diameter the barrel of these two tankers might be? http://www.na3t.org/road/photo/JSc00259-05 http://www.na3t.org/road/photo/JSc00657-03

2) What width the EFE(?) diecast Ergomatic cab is?

Thanks

Jon

Frank Waller has just added the Blue Circle lettering transfers for these tanks to his range.

• RMweb Premium

Which suggests to me that the tank diameter needs to be much the same at about 30-34mm (in 4mm).

Jon

The Ergomatic cab was 8 feet wide, the maximum permitted width at that time so anything over 32 mm would be wrong. Currently the maximum permitted width in the UK is IIRC 2.55 metres (8' 4.5" in old money) which would make the width in 00 33.5 mm. Generally due to the weight and density of the load it is not necessary to build the trailers to the maximum dimensions so about 30 mm would be about right. A trailer modeled in HO scale to current dimensions should be 29 mm wide. Not forgetting of course that some continental and American vehicles are allowed to be bigger than here in the UK.

• RMweb Premium

The 2.55 m width is just for insulated vans or fridge trailers ( to allow for extra insulation ) . The normal trailers ( curtain siders , flats , non insulated vans etc ) still have to be designed at 2.4 m .

Mike b

They are making buses (such as the Borismaster) to the 2.55 metre width. Anything such as insulation has to be accommodated within the maximum width. The 2.5 metre (8' 2.5") width was introduced as long ago as the 1980's, 2.4 metres equates to 7' 7", the 8' maximum dates back to the 1950's.

The Ergomatic cab was 8 feet wide, the maximum permitted width at that time so anything over 32 mm would be wrong. Currently the maximum permitted width in the UK is IIRC 2.55 metres (8' 4.5" in old money) which would make the width in 00 33.5 mm. Generally due to the weight and density of the load it is not necessary to build the trailers to the maximum dimensions so about 30 mm would be about right. A trailer modeled in HO scale to current dimensions should be 29 mm wide. Not forgetting of course that some continental and American vehicles are allowed to be bigger than here in the UK.

28.5mm or therabout on what I have, which suits me very well, Ijust need to aquire some cheap chassis/cabs now.

Jon

• RMweb Premium

28.5mm or therabout on what I have, which suits me very well, Ijust need to aquire some cheap chassis/cabs now.

Jon

B-Toys are quite cheap as are Oxford. It depends on what period you want to model.

I was looking on the Shapeways site a few days ago and came across a 3D printed kit for a OO scale modern bulk powder tanker trailer. From what I saw it looks like it would go with the modern Oxford tractor units very well.

They are making buses (such as the Borismaster) to the 2.55 metre width. Anything such as insulation has to be accommodated within the maximum width. The 2.5 metre (8' 2.5") width was introduced as long ago as the 1980's, 2.4 metres equates to 7' 7", the 8' maximum dates back to the 1950's.

Whoops - still trying to get over the eighties !

Fridges / insulated vans can now run up to 2.6 m wide

Everything else can run up to 2.55 m wide

As always - check first before you ramble on when tired !!!!

Mike b

Archived