Cement Lorries

Bartb

Phase 1 of my cement tank build was to modify the cab of a base toys Leyland routeman to the smaller constructor cab, to do this the donor was dismantled and a thin slice was taken out just behind the door, the rear of the mudguard/wheelarch had to come off, and the wheelarch itself was slightly re-shaped. This interior was adjusted to suit, and then I felt the whole thing was too tall, so I adjusted the feet on the interior casting to reduce its ride hight (I may have gone too far).

This left the front wheels too far forward, so I also moved the front axle to the rear position.

The next steps for the cab will be to fill the grill in the front panel, and convert the double headlights to single.

post-336-0-55745300-1402226735.jpg

post-336-0-28046600-1402226736.jpg

Jon

This is the type of tanker I want to model (photo courtesy of http://www.na3t.org )

JSc00657-03.jpg

The tank body I found in Germany was about 28.5mm in diameter, but intended for an articulated trailer, so unfortunately it narrows above where the 5th wheel would be, leaving not enough barrel to chop, nor the correct diameter cab-end dome

post-336-0-21776300-1402227053.jpg

post-336-0-97364900-1402227053.jpg

Therefor what I've done is cut a section of 30mm diameter pipe to form the barrel, glue the coned discharge end to that, and at the cab end use the end from an airfix 35t class B tank that I had knocking about. The whole lot will need a fair bit of filling to get it all to blend.

post-336-0-69996200-1402227054.jpg post-336-0-26692400-1402227055.jpg

The other modifications to the chassis were to cut down the middle of each wheelarch at the back, I think it ought to be possible to join the two part-arches together to give a single arch over both wheels. I also docked the rear of the chassis, I haven't quite decided on where the rear of the tank would sit, the two photos below show a couple of different lengths.

post-336-0-03838400-1402227056.jpg

post-336-0-74927400-1402227056.jpg

to be continued...

Jon

Just picking up on a couple of points mentioned earlier:

Re the Ergomatic cab, if modelling the blue circle lorries, they only used the later MK2 ergomatic cab, this is available from RTI. I started to modify an Oxford Diecast version but RTI beat me to it and so I chose the easy route. The Oxford Diecast chassis is a good starting point.

Re the RTI body, it is suitable for the 6 wheeler, if anything it is a little short for the 8 wheeler. It is however a good overall shape and looks perfect on my Leyland Bison (see below), crucially the rear end shape is the correct offset conical shape. The walkway and ladder is wrong for a Blue Circle version but is correct for others such as Rugby, Castle Cement etc, however it is an easy scratch build.

Below is my nearly finished Leyland Bison, the transfers used are Langley and allow a little too much "bleed through" so will probably be replaced with the RTI version. I will also post some pictures of my Scammell 8 wheel version soon although that is not up to the standard of the Leyland (Sorry about the fuzziness of the first picture, I can't seem to delete it)

post-7400-0-45635900-1402258963_thumb.jpg

post-7400-0-95670500-1402259055_thumb.jpg

post-7400-0-90718800-1402259092_thumb.jpg

Phase 1 of my cement tank build was to modify the cab of a base toys Leyland routeman to the smaller constructor cab, to do this the donor was dismantled and a thin slice was taken out just behind the door, the rear of the mudguard/wheelarch had to come off, and the wheelarch itself was slightly re-shaped. This interior was adjusted to suit, and then I felt the whole thing was too tall, so I adjusted the feet on the interior casting to reduce its ride hight (I may have gone too far).

This left the front wheels too far forward, so I also moved the front axle to the rear position.

The next steps for the cab will be to fill the grill in the front panel, and convert the double headlights to single.

attachicon.gifcementtank002.jpg

attachicon.gifcementtank003.jpg

Jon

Hi, I hate to say it but I think the rear part of the mudguard should've been left on, in all the photos (and I've looked a LOT on Flickr for my own project) I've seen it is still there but often painted black.

From what I can tell the bumper/step/wheelarches remained the same through the range, it was only the cab part above that height that varied in width and length. The freighter/cruiser/constructor cabs were slightly narrower than the wheelarches etc.

The blue circle cement picture you've posted looks like the cab should be shorter and narrower, like the one Jim S-W modified here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/6104-jim-s-ws-road-vehicles-thread/?p=623031 Post #478.

His was a tractor unit, but I believe the cabs were the same throughout the range.

Hi, I hate to say it but I think the rear part of the mudguard should've been left on, in all the photos (and I've looked a LOT on Flickr for my own project) I've seen it is still there but often painted black.

From what I can tell the bumper/step/wheelarches remained the same through the range, it was only the cab part above that height that varied in width and length. The freighter/cruiser/constructor cabs were slightly narrower than the wheelarches etc.

The blue circle cement picture you've posted looks like the cab should be shorter and narrower, like the one Jim S-W modified here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/6104-jim-s-ws-road-vehicles-thread/?p=623031 Post #478.

His was a tractor unit, but I believe the cabs were the same throughout the range.

Yes, the mudguard will need to be reinstated, but further back, if I'd kept the whole wheel arch it would have been OK, but because of where I took the cuts, it would have tried to pass through the middle of the wheel. Narrowing the cab is more work than I plan on doing, the 4 of these will be 3-4ft from the viewer, so can have the odd compromise here or there.

Jon

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I am building another one of the Blue Circle lorries now, the ultra rare (unique?) ERF B Series version as seen here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/35455701@N03/6042198422/in/photolist-acVR5S-8M896e-FEhrNH-TGRKDu-qsYGwA-bdXM7x-bXatMU-bKWfgn-otvnTW-FHcCLm-zBUmnb-zEgbEF-uK5Yvv-y2qma1

I was given the bits second hand hence have stuck with the ERF cab which came in the box rather than change it to a Scammell cab:

post-7400-0-77441500-1493618796_thumb.jpg

Archived