Model Rail 163 December

johnd

The December copy arrived to day courtesy of Royal Mail.

Reviews of Midland Compound & 3F in it. Compund a bit pricey for me but will be having 2 3F's

Dapol 121 reviewed looks nice little model,

Farish Class 03 reviewed

Layuouts set in Devon & Cornwall

Workbench looks at maintaining loco's, rolling roads,

The enclosed DVD is a good watch.

One glaring error leapt off the page at me - the suggestion that the Hornby B set is to diagram E147 and can easily be converted to the [correct] E140. Other than that the feature on Devon and Cornwall is ace [pun not intended, honest] and it is particularly good to see a class layout like St Merryn in this magazine.

Chris

MR163+Cover_WEB.jpg

December 2011 Model Rail (163) is about to hit the shelves; this issue is particularly action packed and also features a DVD produced by Tele Rail of Model Rail Live (featuring Brewhouse Quay in action).

• The Big Picture
  • News
  • Build your free clay hoods
  • Competition
  • Reviews
  • Layout: St Merryn
  • The Cornwall look
  • Layout:Lynton
  • South for Sunshine
  • All's 'well' that ends well
  • Layout:Carrick Road
  • Layout:Tintagel Road
  • Exhibition diary
  • Workbench: Maintain a motor
  • Workbench: Servicing essentials
  • Workbench: Make a Cornish Hedge
  • Workbench: All 'Sheds' great and small
  • Workbench: Building Combe Mill
  • Backscene
  • Next Issue

More about Model Rail and subs here.

I saw in the reviews that Finescale Model Railways are releasing a budget Static Grass applicator. I tried to have a look at it on there web site (finescalemodelrailways.co.uk) but this address does not seem to work. Is this the correct address or is their a small mistake in the mag. Does anybody now the correct address.

regards

Alan

I can't imagine that anyone who buys Model Rail has not got a DVD player of some form, somewhere, given it's an included standard component across PCs, Macs, Laptops, and even modern flat screen televisions in most cases!

Failing that you would have to not have any of the above and you wouldn't be posting here as a result to complain about it...!

I'm amazed at the hostility to a one-off DVD. Just incredible. For the record, I am looking forward to seeing what's on it as Model Rail are normally very good with the production values of their added extras.

Quite looking forward to the DVD as well, although I hope its not Hornby stuffing DCC down our throats again. I think the issue is that when you see a DVD attached to a magazine the assumption is that it is free. Not in this case ,and I believe the previous time as well. Couldn't tell you what the normal price of Model rail is though. Strikes me that most mags I buy are around £4.00. I take the point ,though, that while I may be interested in the DVD there will be a few for which it has no interest at all. why should they therefor be expected to pay for it -they don't really seem to have a choice.

Or if it's not to your liking, why not be evangelical, and give it to someone who has expressed an interest in finding out more about railway modelling?

I will freely confess that my taste in videos (stop it at the back) is pretty much confined to live music, historic motorsport and researching the Waverley Route, but that won't stop me buying MR, for what as Andy points out, is less extra than the price of a First Class stamp.

For heaven's sake....

• RMweb Gold

Loved the 'Devon & Cornwall' railways theme. The St Merryn pics were lovely and of a truly superb layout.

As for the DVD 'complaints' if it isn't wanted just bin it or don't buy the mag, The mag is still good value for money and well presented.

I gave up on RM &BRM.

Loved the 'Devon & Cornwall' railways theme. The St Merryn pics were lovely and of a truly superb layout.

Agreed! The 'Backscene' page is back of course and there's a well worthwhile bit of Blackrat in there too. :)

• RMweb Gold

As for the DVD 'complaints' if it isn't wanted just bin it or don't buy the mag, The mag is still good value for money and well presented.

I gave up on RM &BRM.

I'm beginning to wish I'd binned the DVD as it has up-b*ggered my dvd drive and 'puter has to go to the menders tomorrow. On doing a bit of careful comparisonI find the MR dvd is slightly thicket than the ones the 'puter is used to and I wonder if it did a little bit of damage (??) as it was ejected. So take care folks in case your dvd etc drive is used to thinner fayre.

And lest I now be considered a contributor to 'moaning monday' the issue itself is due a compliment on its editorial content and returning to the OP maybe Andy should also be asking what we thing of freebies like dvds - well on second thoughts ...

• RMweb Gold

I'd like to join in the moaning, but I haven't seen the mag yet....

.... if only I'd read this thread before I went out at lunchtime, I could have gone into Smiths and had a good moan at the checkout person at the hike in the price to cover the cost of the DVD. Think about those (about 2) cheap Tesco pasties I could have bought with the 44p I would have saved, if I had been in a position to not buy the mag! :lol: :P

So I'll just have to moan about the fact that I can't have a real moan.

It's just not fair!! :D

Does anyone have any details of the BR Blue layout featured on the DVD ? I have done a Google search and come up with a big fat Zero !!

It is Michael Rhodes' Barrow Hill Junction which is featured in more detail on Model Rail's forthcoming 'Creative Modelling -1' DVD which is a revised magazine-format programme for which I am, at this very moment (well almost) writing the script.

CHRIS LEIGH

It is Michael Rhodes' Barrow Hill Junction which is featured in more detail on Model Rail's forthcoming 'Creative Modelling -1' DVD which is a revised magazine-format programme for which I am, at this very moment (well almost) writing the script.

CHRIS LEIGH

Thanks Chris.

Are there any detail of this layout on the web anywhere ?

This mag is getting better each issue the dvd is good the photography is excellent with the advert shots for the S&C particularily good.The how to do articles are clear consice and about items you will want to do,product reviews are detailed and unbiased .I went off this mag last year but I am glad that I have a subscription now and look forward to its arrival .

Archived