WISBECH AND UPWELL

swisspeat

I am just about to begin to make an end to end layout based on the W & U in OO scale in its "just before closure" period.

Whilst I may come back to you again for modelling details at this point I'd just like to raise a question about motive power please.

The main two types that I will use will be a tram (which I see that I can purchase in RTR form from Silver Fox) and an 04 fitted with skirts and cowcatchers. I will try to obtain a Bachmann 04 for this purpose but do any of the small suppliers retail cowcatchers and skirts please?

Thanks very much indeed.

• 10 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Talking of the W&U, does anyone remember the name of the splendid O gauge W&U layout that was on the circuit maybe 10 years ago - was actually 4 layouts in one, revolving around a centre axle and showing the same scene in pre-WW1/spring, inter-war/summer, WWII/autumn and 1950s BR/winter?? I'm trying to track down an article or pics (either in print or online) but my google-fu has deserted me :(

TIA,

I would suggest you look out a copy of Hornby magazine, Issue 49, July 2011 and investigate the layout "Outwell Village" by Alan Price & Neil Rushby.

or even reading Alan's thread on here.

There was an article about that layout in British Railway Modelling many years ago and it is now preserved at the Midland Railway Centre. I'm struggling to remember what it's called and the HMRS website doesn't help (I believe it's in their custody).

It was called Elmwell, and appeared in the April and May 2000 BRM.

• 3 years later...

I've done a couple of 'Tobys'  for 00, both  based on the old Triang R 157 DMU power bogie. The side skirts were easy, based on plasticard, but the cowcatchers were a pig of a soldering job.   As you might expect both looked fairly OK, and went reasonably well, but no really slow running..   Was joint author of the first (private press) small book on the W & U, but Peter Paye's excellent recent title is definitive.

Liveries were the subject of much argument.   Wish i'd done a Y10....

I've done a couple of 'Tobys'  for 00, both  based on the old Triang R 157 DMU power bogie. The side skirts were easy, based on plasticard, but the cowcatchers were a pig of a soldering job.   As you might expect both looked fairly OK, and went reasonably well, but no really slow running..   Was joint author of the first (private press) small book on the W & U, but Peter Paye's excellent recent title is definitive.

Liveries were the subject of much argument.   Wish i'd done a Y10....

How about using one of the Highlevel units

http://www.highlevelkits.co.uk/

They may have a a few options that will fit the bill

• RMweb Gold

Not a lot of help with your end of era model, but this sepia photo was in Dad's LNER collection. It may well be a very well-known view, but I haven't seen it on RMweb. I have done a Photoshop b&w rework on it which shows what can be done with faded old prints.

post-14351-0-69836300-1471328606_thumb.jpg

post-14351-0-93982500-1471331183_thumb.jpg

I have recently had a 7mm version of the J70 printed as shown below (scaled up from the 4mm version).  As it was larger I've printed some of the parts like window frames and buffers separately, it also has complete skirts fitted.

J70%207mm%20WSF_zpsknlgluzg.jpg

The model has the same detail as the 4mm version.

IMG_3931_zpszyak9qhq.jpg

IMG_3934_zpspm5fyhiv.jpg

I have also drawn and ordered a 4mm class 04 as a complete bodyshell to fit on the Bachmann chassis and scaled it up so it could be printed in 7mm (or any scale in between).

Class%2004%20cad%203_zpsktoigkwj.jpg

Class%2004%20cad%202_zpsu244ctcu.jpg

Class%2004%20cad%201_zpsp0pphcmg.jpg

I can make these available for sale from Shapeways and will do once Ive checked and painted the ones I have printed already.

Regards

Simon.

I presume you have also adjusted thickness of plastic for the bigger versions, otherwise price goes up even more. Are any available on Shapeways yet, just for interest?

An HO version would be an obvious next version(if plastic on 4mm version is thick enough it should be possible to just reduce size).

Then there is a 3mm, N , and S scale version, possibly even one for G1 (both scales) .

• RMweb Gold

I might have to redo the coaches. in 4 and 7mm to compliment the locos.

Marc

Marc - that would be great, especially for those of us that aren't that keen/that good with brass and soldering irons! Put me down for a bogie and a four wheel version please :)

Archived