WISBECH AND UPWELL

swisspeat

Just got these two locos from the paint shop. The are the prototypes for our 7mm RTR tram locos.

They need their buffer beams painting and final assembly.

Marc

Very nice.

Two body styles of the G15 from the looks of it.

The NRM have a J70 works drawing in their records.  Do the GER society have a set of drawings for W&U van 16?

Added a bit more detail to no.16, still struggling to get some end detail shots.  

GER%20brake%2016%205.1_zpscoy0ttlg.jpg

The picture below shows the end - does anyone know that the arrows are pointing at? Are they lamps on lamp brackets or lights fitted to the end?

no.16%20end%20lamps_zpswwd3j0w2.jpg

Can I ask if any of these excellent 4mm prints are yet available?

The G15 I am itching for, but I am also interesting in the 2 coaches and the 2 vans.

The specification is:

Brass: Chassis; roof; windows, lamp brackets

Polyurethane: cab; footplate; boiler; smokebox; firebox

3D printed nylon: roof fittings, cab fittings

Slaters: 1:40 motor and gear box; plunger pickups

Optional extra: Zimo DCC (non sound)

They will be available with all 3 window types and with short or tall chimneys. The liveries that will be available initially GER 1916-23 (Grey and Maroon) and LNER/BR 1923-51 (black and Brown).

I would like to build them in the GER 1888-1916 Blue and maroon livery but I'm unable to get any GER 7mm transfers.

I would also like to fit DCC sound to the locos but at this time there are no suitable sound chips.

The GER society seem to only have a few drawings. They are available on CD. The drawings published in the MRC annual were the same ones as the GER society. It did puzzle me that they did not have drawings for the larger loco though, but it was a private collection bequeethed to them.

I managed to do my 3D print design for the smaller loco and both the balcony coaches. They are probably not as detailed as this model, but good enough for me. I could up the scale to 7mm/ft, but may have to have a close look at detail, in particular the balcony ends. The problem with 7mm scale is the size does make 3D printed models a bit expensive, except for smaller models. the coaches are bigger than the locos.

Just thought these photos would be of interest. I took them this afternoon with the locos, on our layout "Scratchy Bottom". Just needing lettering and numbering and the loco crew.

post-13539-0-50046700-1498929231.jpg

post-13539-0-53400100-1498929270.jpg

post-13539-0-75284200-1498929287.jpg

post-13539-0-47505500-1498929312.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Possibly one book sought after is the Peter Paye book, published by Oakwood Press. Looking online and it seems to have a very high asking price. I thought I had found a copy but it then turned out it had been sold.

On searching for book list for Oakwood Press I noticed the link to Stenlake who took over from Oakwood, and on their website they have the book at a far more acceptable price. As to whether it has been republished, or just that they have sorted out the old stock I am not sure, but worth checking them for any Oakwood books. The Oakwood Press website is useful as it lists out of print books as well, so might aid anyone looking for a subject.

I also managed to find the issues of Model Railways magazine, but they only have scale drawings of the smaller loco. To be fair the current illustrations in Model Rail magazine are actually just as good.

Its a great book I got a copy a few years ago. Any of Peter's books are good. I'm slowly building up a collection of his books, they all have some info relevant to the modelling a GER branch line.

Marc 

Just received my copy. It is a reprint as it has new publisher details in it. Suggest anyone wanting a copy gets one from publisher. Ignore the overpriced ones online. It has a lot of useful drawings. It is as far as I have found the only source of a drawing of the J70. The drawings for the smaller loco, are the same ones as the GER society have.

For anyone thinking of something a bit different, there was a proposal to add a top deck to the bogie coaches, drawing in book. That would raise a few eyebrows at exhibitions!

Hopefully all the old Oakwood books will be reprinted. They obviously have old stock of some as well, as another book I orderd has a contact address in Dorset, but I think it dates from 1984.

One slightly amusing thing, was the stamps used on the package, as they must have been bought a few years ago. One shows the Queen at age 80, and the others commemorate Brunel centenary in 2006. I wonder if they were alo in the Oakwook boxes.

Archived