2011 Diorama Challenge Voting now open

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

296 people have voted so far, 102 people were apathetic enough to look at the page and not register a vote.

Perhaps, like me, they spent some time (nearly an hour?) reviewing & marking all the entries, pressed submit, and got a raspberry in return.

• Like 2

Perhaps, like me, they spent some time (nearly an hour?) reviewing & marking all the entries, pressed submit, and got a raspberry in return.

I also had to visit the page three times before actually voting.

First twice I spent too long looking back at threads, and when I pressed submit it said 'session had expired'...

A difficult thing to judge such different entries, but the three categories mean that one entry may score highly in one category but lower in others while another entry is the oposite way round...

When I looked back at my scores at the end, at first I thought maybe I had been a bit hard on some - my combined scores range from 3 to 14 out of 15 (with two at each extreme) but my average was 3.4, 2.8, 3.2 so probably about right for using the full range available to differentiate between entries.

Well done and best of luck to all the entrants.

Paul

• RMweb Gold

I also had to visit the page three times before actually voting.

First twice I spent too long looking back at threads, and when I pressed submit it said 'session had expired'...

A difficult thing to judge such different entries, but the three categories mean that one entry may score highly in one category but lower in others while another entry is the oposite way round...

Apparently the max cookie life is one hour, which means you need to be brisk with over 30 entries to assess. I will give it another try - and the partial-save option is there to facilitate that - but I do think that judging all at one hit is fairest to everyone, although the competition has produced a very good long list of entries. Some do make it easier than others for the judges, of course, with summary topics that are just as I would want, where others expect you to dive back and forth elsewhere. "Selling" the diorama hasn't necessarily been performed as well as much of the modelling, which is generally excellent.

• RMweb Gold

Apparently the max cookie life is one hour, which means you need to be brisk with over 30 entries to assess. I will give it another try - and the partial-save option is there to facilitate that - but I do think that judging all at one hit is fairest to everyone, although the competition has produced a very good long list of entries. Some do make it easier than others for the judges, of course, with summary topics that are just as I would want, where others expect you to dive back and forth elsewhere. "Selling" the diorama hasn't necessarily been performed as well as much of the modelling, which is generally excellent.

I found it useful to have a couple of windows open so that I could delve for extra details without losing my place on the poll itself - definitely worked much better that way after my first blundering about (and I had seen one entry in the flesh so to speak so didn't need to check out much for that).

• RMweb Gold

Some do make it easier than others for the judges, of course, with summary topics that are just as I would want, where others expect you to dive back and forth elsewhere. "Selling" the diorama hasn't necessarily been performed as well as much of the modelling, which is generally excellent.

I accept that I've not added lots of photos on the summary thread (for example 'From a carriage window' ) as it just seemed to be a repeat of the same photos in the build thread, but, as you've stated, it would have made voting easier for the viewer.

• RMweb Gold

I accept that I've not added lots of photos on the summary thread (for example 'From a carriage window' ) as it just seemed to be a repeat of the same photos in the build thread, but, as you've stated, it would have made voting easier for the viewer.

You were not in my sights for that remark, Stu. One diorama had some good pics - but they were indexed elsewhere, so repeated clicking of a link, rather than scrolling up and down the page. I felt at least one had not really provided the "overview" pic that a 20" x 11" diorama does facilitate, and which leads the veiwer into wanting to enjoy the detail.

Before anyone else says it - yes, I failed to make the deadline for completing a diorama. But looking at the general high quality, I'm not sure the competition has missed a lot by my absence.....

• Like 1

Guest oldlugger

296 people have voted so far, 102 people were apathetic enough to look at the page and not register a vote.

That's a great shame after all the hard work the competitors put into their entries. I'm really looking forward to seeing the results...

Cheers

Simon

• RMweb Gold

So I tried again and got this.

ERROR

We are sorry but your session has expired.

Either you have been inactive for too long, you have cookies disabled for your browser, or there were problems with your connection.

Please contact Andy Y ( info@rmweb.co.uk ) for further assistance.

This was after 31 minutes start to stop. What a waste of my time, not to mention those whose work I was marking. Sorry, chaps.

So I tried again and got this.

ERROR

We are sorry but your session has expired.

Either you have been inactive for too long, you have cookies disabled for your browser, or there were problems with your connection.

Please contact Andy Y ( info@rmweb.co.uk ) for further assistance.

This was after 31 minutes start to stop. What a waste of my time, not to mention those whose work I was marking. Sorry, chaps.

Open the scoring panel up - write down your scores, paper and pen - refresh the page, fill it in, consulting your notes and voila. I managed this and it went through fine. Internet cookies can be a very aggravating thing, I'll grant you, but when you have this amount of entries to score, it makes sense to just write everything down.

Ahem

To avoid any glitches (probably aren't any now!) and make my voting as consistent as possible, I'll probably look through all the entries and make voting notes on paper - you remember paper don't you? - before coming back and filling in the votes in one hit.

• Like 1

Yup... sorry, :blush: I might be responsible for three of these - it took me four attempts to get the voting sorted all the way through and then submitted correctly (finally).

Voting closes at midnight Simon; it'll take a few days to verify the results and pull the info together. originally the intention was to coincide the results with them appearing in MR but I'll need to check on what's happening with that first.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Managed to get my vote accepted at the third try. This time I went into cookies and put the level to the minimum, and because I now feel I have a view on each of the entries, I didn't need to refer again. The pencil and paper idea didn't seem necessary - and hey, this is me, who feels uneasy writing a shopping list!

All entries now verified.

3 votes removed due to skewed entries which significantly favoured one entry with all other entries marked down to minimum. :scratchhead:

Result calculations are all carried out. And re-checked. The difference in the score between 4th and 5th on the Overall category was 0.001!

• Like 1