Building a Modelex GWR 45xx

• RMweb Gold

Tbh I have found everything else fine, though havent had got to the steps yet. I guess before the next project I will get on and buy some sheet brass and use it for practice. Certainly want to get the hang of it before starting on a tender!

I am quite tempted to order a second kit now, and when I have finished the 45xx start over again with a new set of etches and do a better job...

Unfortunatly last nights work has completely messed it up, the left hand tank skin going on much worse than the right. Will see how it looks later on with a coat of paint, otherwise it might be terminal. Either way, I will finish it first for the experience!

• RMweb Gold

Its £50 for a new body which isn't too bad in the grand scheme of things. I certainly know i'll get a better tender on the next one I do! This one could eventually become a weed killing vehicle!

Not too bad at all at the end of the day, even better value when you think that Im sure there are a bunch of bits that can be scavenged off it such as the buffers etc that will be of use on other projects saving more money.

At the end of the day I never expected perfection from the first attempt, £50 to learn such a key skill? well worth it!

Just got to decide if I will go straight into the repeat of the 45xx, or try something else. Off the top of my head the 3 locos I am still missing for the layout are the 43xx, Dean Goods and a bulldog. So I guess a tender would be a very good call...

Must get on and buy some chassis jigs as well so I can get some of the high level chassis built!

Photos: at the current stage of completion, it is the front and corner of the tanks I have issue with.

post-54-0-07623300-1322846323_thumb.jpg

post-54-0-01183900-1322846343_thumb.jpg

post-54-0-19214500-1322846377_thumb.jpg

• 3 years later...

Really did not like the task of getting that bend into the front of the tank. took about 4 attempts to get both a straight line, and get the positioning right. better instructions would definitely help, phrases like "use a drill bit/rod of the appropriate diameter" is just completely useless. I would expect as a minimum for the appropriate diameter to at least be stated! a set of dimensions would have been useful as well, stating the distance from the end that the cl of the rod should be etc. Simple things that would make assembling a lot easier......

You might want to acquire a V-block or two to help with 90-degree bends in future.

Archived