Settle-Carlisle N Gauge 1979-1983

• RMweb Gold

Hi Julian

Thanks for the comment about the photos.

For the walls have a look at page 5 post 102. Hope that explains how it's done. There's also a photo in post 110 although in that shot the capping stones are too wide. Unfortunately I can't remember the type of Slaters embossed plasticard (possibly small random stone) although you should be able to identify it from the close up shots.

I wonder if anyone has attempted the "Jeff method" of dry stone walling in n gauge?

Cheers

Alan

Hi Alan,

I thought they were ready made, so you scratch made them?  Wow, you must have had either the patience of a saint or just gone bonkers lol.

Regards,

Julian Sprott

post-13274-0-09050600-1494777090.jpg

31135 and 37035 both acquired from ebay. I like Dutch livery and it's very nicely reproduced on these two locos so there,s no way I'm going to repaint them into overall blue or early Railfreight grey.

post-13274-0-80786000-1494777103.jpg

post-13274-0-47555900-1494777117.jpg

Settle-Carlisle 1991. 31135 with 60029 passing on an mgr.

• 5 months later...

Hi

Any updates to the layout recently?

Hello GWRPhil

Many thanks for the likes...

Nothing new to report. The layout is now under dust covers for winter while I try to kick a new layout into shape.

Regards

Alan

• 1 month later...

Hi Alan,

Not sure how I've missed your superb layout, absolutely fantastic so will be following developments on and off the S&C. Very impressed by your 70s/80s freights, great mix of stock to be seen just like the real thing back in the day. Excellent stuff.

Martyn.

Hi Martyn

Many thanks for your comments.

Unfortunately I didn't get to visit the line properly until the mid 80s, but found lots of inspiration in T G Flinders two books, "On the Settle Carlisle Route" and the "Settle Carlisle Route Revisited"  which cover 1979-83. I've never been tempted to run diversions or steam hauled rail tours so the freight (and passenger) trains on the layout were modelled on a typical selection using the line at that time. For some reason I've always liked a train of fully vb fitted older wagons running without the usual brake van.     

Alan

Archived