Dapol Class 22 - Photo Review

Andy Y

Possibly an assembly issue, or the factor which Andy mentioned that he didn't replace the body properly, if you look at Hornby mag's sample it seems to fit a lot better!

http://www.facebook....3&type=1&ref=nf

Cheers, Richard

Thanks Richard, you've cheered me up no end!

Shame on you for not replacing the body properly Andy!!! :nono: :lol: :lol: :lol:

(ducks for cover!)

• RMweb Gold

Great review Andy, maybe you should send your CV to a couple of the mags!! I wasn't going to get one because I didn't think I needed one, :fool_mini: Now I realise I was wrong!, will wait for plain green version though.

Fantastic job Dave, can't wait for your future products.

Rgds.....Mike

The model looks superb, with the exception of that rather large gap between the buffer beam skirting and the cab.

Can this piece be fitted a bit better to reduce the gap?

Not sure if this is one of Andy's shots where the cab wasn't fitted all the way down.

That said, the 22 is going to be like the Heljan Western in that the solebar is going to have a gap, where that red arrow is, unless you fill and putty. Not that noticeable unless you like to take cruel photo close-ups, or have strong glasses.

Your photo comparison also does an excellent job of highlighting the somewhat low Dapol bogie side frames...

I shouldn't really, but I'm going to...

Dave.

Oh, you as well :angel:

Mate, they are TOO cute! I swear if I get to see these in the metal at Warley I may just recover from the appearance of The F*** on the show's advert!

• RMweb Gold

Ultrascale do a 3'7" spoked wheel. I used it for my (sigh) kitbuilt/scratch built Class 22. I dunno, first a Beattie, then a 22, next it'll be an 02. Wheal Elizabeth's stock is all going to look old hat before too long!

The model does look very good. When are the blue ones out?

Yes, I think they are meant for a S.R. tender, but I also used these for my Silver Fox P4 one....

Ultrascale now have an item on their website - anyone who wants drop in wheels (OO, EM r P4) should e-mail them asap...

http://www.ultrascale.co.uk/show_notice.php?noteid=39

Excellent review. I'm really tempted by this model even though I have absolutely no way of justifying its appearance on a rural light railway (unless I move the location to Cornwall). I feel a small Cornish layout project might be on the way....

Patrick

excellent review and cracking looking model.

Looks like this confirms the triumphant entry of another major player in rtr locos with three top models in a row

I am waiting keenly for the first mob to bring out a sound fitted version....

• RMweb Gold

Saw the Kernow weathered versions today in the flesh.............

ANZUM! (or gorgeous for the non Cornish!!). :):) :)

They really do look the biz!

Glad to 'ear that my 'andsome, I changed my order with Kernow for an ordinary one to a weathered one earlier this week.

Guest oldlugger

Wont that make the buffer height too low though - as it stands the buffer height looks ok - what I think needs doing is the bogie sideframes need raising up a little - Its hard to tell from the photos but it seems the sideframes are a little low down in relation to the wheels - the axleboxes dont register with the wheel centres - as there isnt enough of the wheel showing below the sideframes - and there should be almost nothing showing above them.

like this:

http://www.railblue....3.dt.080270.jpg

nothing a hacksaw cant fix - plus I wanted an excuse to link to that lovely photo :)

tfn

Jon

Hello Jon,

The axle boxes to wheel centres look spot on to me; I think you'll find that it's the angle of the camera that gives the impression you have. As I mentioned earlier in this thread I think the body needs dropping down more onto the chassis. This of course "might" affect the buffer height. The prototypical gap between the body sides and the top of the bogie frame on a class 22 (and many other UK mainline diesels) is pretty fine. For me it was this factor alone that spoilt a well known and popular 4mm class 37, that had a huge unsightly gap in this area. The photo above posted by D605Eagle really highlights my point.

Cheers

Simon

Hello Jon,

The axle boxes to wheel centres look spot on to me; ...Simon

Evening -

theres some very good pictures on nigel Burkins website now - the first one leads me to believe the bogie sideframes are too low -http://nigelburkin.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/class-22-21.jpg

I dont think id be allowed to post an edited version of nigels photo on here - but looking at the Innermost wheelset , on the bogie nearest the camera -, its a crude way of doing it but if you draw a line from the top to the bottom of the face of the wheel, then find the midpoint youll have the wheelcentre - which does not register correctly with the axlebox if it were in the correct position. (luckily the photo is taken at the just the right angle to do this)

The (sand?)boxes on the inner ends of the bogies should almost align with the 'hip' on the fuel tank but on the model they are too low - the underside of the fueltank looks the correct distance of the 'dirt' though :)

tfn

Jon

Hi,

Mine arrived this morning and overall it's impressive. A quick run on the test track was equally encouraging. A couple of personal observations thought. The buffer heads are a bit naff to be honest and need changing athough Dapol aren't exactly alone in this. The other is about the OLE warning flashes. I might well be wrong about this as I don't have any shots of '31 to look at but all those of 22's I do have have the early style with the barbed lightning symbol. The model has the later slightly different style. No big deal really, easy enough to change, but would be curious to know if they're correct.

Cheers

Stu

Hi,

Mine arrived this morning and overall it's impressive. A quick run on the test track was equally encouraging. A couple of personal observations thought. The buffer heads are a bit naff to be honest and need changing athough Dapol aren't exactly alone in this. The other is about the OLE warning flashes. I might well be wrong about this as I don't have any shots of '31 to look at but all those of 22's I do have have the early style with the barbed lightning symbol. The model has the later slightly different style. No big deal really, easy enough to change, but would be curious to know if they're correct.

Cheers

Stu

The style they should have is this:

post-7112-0-71357700-1321722301.jpg

The later style were used from 1979 so the Class 22s would never have had them.

post-7112-0-61540800-1321722295.jpg

• 2 months later...

Loved your review Andy, I received mine from Rails yesterday. First up,it runs great,I've only got about a 3' run of 'test track' and an old H&M Duette,no problems,it crept and lept into action (I need one of them 'Rolling Road' things!!)

OK, I dug out a couple of books with a few pictures, 'Green Diesel Days' has a couple of good pics with the locos looking 'Brand New' and did a wee bit of 'compairing'. I've got more books in my garage..somewhere!!

Dapol's model definately is a '22 'it's got the looks, there is no doubting that, so it was time to get up close and have a really good look. First up those wipers,they must have 'fell' into that posion,so I grabbed a 'tweezer' and gently turned them in towards the windows 'edge', 2 came off,but I got them back on without the '###### pile' carpet claiming them. A touch of 'superglue GEL', saw them secured in place (not to the window).

I think the bogies are great,especially as they have their 'fronts' detailed, but where are the springs??,the fittings are there on the bogie side frames, but those 'prominent' springs are not? There are also no brakes,most unusual, I would imagine the 'real' loco would have had them!!

I also think that the bogie axle box and the wheel 'are' slightly out of line,making the bogie just a tad too low from the body. I hav'nt looked at fixing this problem in detail as yet,but I think lowering the body onto the chassis might not be an option., on the other hand being able to remove the whole bogie frame might just offer an option to fix it?(only for those who think it is!!)

The 'add on' side frames?, this might or might not be a good idea,it may appeal to some,not me I'm afraid! OK,in real life they were prone to falling off,or fitters just didn't bother with re- fitting them anymore when they came in for some work to be done," why bother?, they will be on the scrap heap before long!", just look at the poor old steam locos,a total "don't care,I don't give a ****!!"..... that's how it was unfortunately.

Anyway the valances?, I want mine to stay on, all 10 of them,they have the 'white' stripe,this adds greatly to their looks,take the lines off ,say,a class 31, you have a 'slab!!, and as we know,there were many 'drab slabs' around, especially when they all got a nice coat of blue!! I do commend Dapol for giving the modeller the choice to have them off or on,whether it's one off, or them all off, they (Dapol) have provided the detail that lies beneath..good on them!!

I've got the body off at the moment and I'm looking at a way to fix these in 'semi permantly' in position,without glue if possible,but I can see no other way, but if I look hard enough,I might. I thought of a 'crew' Andy but on my model, the cabs are glued in and might prove difficult to remove, I have not tried as yet,infact, as I look at it,I actually need to re-glue a side as it's sort of bulging out a tad!! I noticed the same non-fit up front between the body and chassis,this seems to be a 'norm'as just about everybody has reported this. It does go back in,but I noticed that it would 'slip out' all by itself!!

Lastly, these locos had several detail differences between them,mines is D6313 by the way, I have not got a photo of the actual 'real' loco,but I'm looking at the model 'head on' (it's not the 'line' that you described Andy) you'll see what may be 2 'plated up' lights, maybe from her pre-headcode days,these seem to be positioned higher than in all the photos that I have seen( so far) The photos show these 2 'lights' being 'level' with the lower 2 outer marker lights? This 'higher' position may be correct for this loco, so until I find out for sure, I must give th Dapol model the benefit of the doubt!

Summing up,yes it is a great model, I've said a lot, but it only covers really what is to most a few minor hickups and should not or will not stop them buying one, Dapol, and I praise them for what is still an exceptional model and here's to their next,and the one after that...and and and!!.......Dave

Rather than 'edit' what I've written above,is it not better to bite the dustand admit to having not thoroughly looked into it, 'it' in this case being D6313??, and now that I've convinced myself of my newly found 'evidence' this just might be the answer, here is my 'new' version, this probably relates to most of the class as well,so it's still worth looking into! (I did, I taw a puddy tat!!)

So Dapol, you have got this RIGHT!, what we are looking at is the plated off bottoms of the 'nose' air horns, the rest of them 'vanish' into the two Headcode Panels! Their position positively corresponds with the marker lights, I'm now satisfied, the model is as near as it's gonna get, well done Dapol...Beautiful!!...........Dave

Archived