Par/St. Blazey area.

Jack00

• 2 weeks later...

I have added 100 plus images of St Blazey in the 1990's to my Flickr site (plus 200 odd of Lostwithiel) just to remind you of what it used to be like!

http://www.flickr.co...rishswissernie/

regards Ernie

What a great selection of photos -I have a lot of slides of Lostwithial Station from the early 90's which I will have to dig them out - hopefully they have not deteriorated to much!

XF

Must re-scan some of mine from the 80s and 90s. Nowadays it's a bit of a shadow of what it was, freight-wise, in 1990-ish St Blazey had an allocation of nine 37s purely for clay traffic (about half on local workings, the rest on long-distance workings like the Burgullow-Irvine Silver Bullet. Now there's just a single 66 for the lot.

Thanks for the photos.

Just saw and heard this leaving Falmouth Docks. The driver gave it a little burst of power on departure. Certainly got me out of my seat!

Shame they are going to build over water tank/engine shed area with 12 flats.

Simon

Edited by simonhaynes72

I have added 100 plus images of St Blazey in the 1990's to my Flickr site (plus 200 odd of Lostwithiel) just to remind you of what it used to be like!

http://www.flickr.co...rishswissernie/

regards Ernie

I've been on this excellent site again today and noticed two new collections 'Liskeard' and 'Burngullow'. Very, very useful for all us modelling Cornwall. Many thanks for sharing your photos and taking time to upload them all for us.

failed HST's seem the norm, saw one the other day sat in Camborne station, at the furthest end of the platform away from the level crossing lights on but no engine on, barriers were up aswel, thought it was very odd, just assumed it had failed?

Jack.

• RMweb Gold

It's one of those things that unless you get it absolutely right first time then invariably it takes several goes (or more likely several 'goes wrong').

at this point I could add something crude here...but won't... :lol:

It's strange casting my mind back now - but the Countys clay locos were quite often pulled from their duties to help out on the main line. Class 37s on passenger workings weren't common in Cornwall, and assists were the best chance of getting some "nose" action. With only one class 66 CDA local worker and one other 66 around from Wednesday morning to Friday evening - the cupboard is pretty bare. It's likely that DBS would want their loco back once the main line was cleared too.

The 57 from the night sleepers has been scrambled a few times to assist an errant HST - though usually from Penzance rather than in section. A lot of times there arent spare Drivers around to help out. The re engined HSTs seem to cope quite well on one power car - Perhaps paul could confirm this. This dependent on the time of year, weather and condition of the working power car of course.

Although the freight traffic may have died down in recent years. Par resembled the wild west with three departures for St Blazey at 12.13, 1220 & 12.31!

The branch service was first formed of "all the threes" 153333 in rather fetching LM green livery. That was closely followed by 6G07 Fowey to Goonbarrow with 66127 hauling 38 empty CDA wagons. Next over was 6C40 with 11 JIA polybulks from Burngullow with 66112 which required to run around at Par. I will upload some pictures later of the movements. It was a bit busy for a while with 1C04 down HST and 2A64 the Up local stopping train too.

Edited for photo adding...

Heres the 153 in question:

post-2613-0-19547500-1330025033.jpg

Then the freight arrived from Burngullow whilst the HST stood in the down platform:

post-2613-0-32656200-1330025070.jpg

The class 66 then ran round once the down platform was clear, and attached to the rear of its train whilst the CDAs ran onto the branch and waited for the Class 153 to clear Goonbarrow:

post-2613-0-96308600-1330025143.jpg

Once the CDAs had departed, the freight pushed back and headed off the St Blazey itself. A busy 40 mins!

post-2613-0-10593800-1330025204.jpg

post-2613-0-14398400-1330025217.jpg

Edited by winterbournecm
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Have been digging around in some old albums and found this shot of 37196 assisting a failed HST at Par in 1985, not long after the loco was painted into railfreight grey and carried the Cornish Railways head board. There is quite a gathering around the coupling area.

post-2613-0-18166300-1329332180_thumb.jpg

Craig,

Surely you know as well as I do that no job can be done on the railway without six people watching........

• Like 3