card rolling stock

This might be a stupid question (once I've asked it) but what scale is the card 37?

and what other card locos are availabe?

The 37 and Deltic are both OO scale.

However, they are published as pdf files, so you could print them to what ever scale you require.

Alphagraphix print a range of card kits including steam locos, trams and industrial/narrow gauge locos.

There are other publishers mentioned earlier in this thread.

Regards,

Chris

I have just made up a Highfield models NER four-wheel carriage for N-gauge.

This is a re-issue of a card kit originally published in the 1960's.

PGN of this parish has acquired the rights and started re-printing some of the carriage kits.

They were intended to run on Lima long wheelbase wagon chassis.

I acquired one at Doncaster on Sunday, but having tried it I will be looking at alternatives.

:)

The body is assembled as a layered card box and is surprisingly strong.

The sides and ends are printed on photo quality paper and are very smart.

The roof is curved card and needed colouring.

In hind sight I made a mess of the roof, but may be able to rescue it.

If I can get some decent photos, I will add them too.

Chris

Black Hat

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well had to give it a go!

Started the Class 37 Railfrieght livery build this afternoon.

Couple of photos showing progress so far, not happy with the nose end or how the front windows have fitted, I've gone wrong somewhere.

Like all card kits you down load though....print it off and try again :yes:

hmmmm, interesting. Now how about blowing it up 175% ;)

I have a PDC LU pilot motor kit to build at some point. The printing is crisp and depending upon how I get on with putting it together I may get others, as LU stock really does appeal to me :) especially with West Cromwell Road being planned.

I have just made up a Highfield models NER four-wheel carriage for N-gauge.

This is a re-issue of a card kit originally published in the 1960's.

PGN of this parish has acquired the rights and started re-printing some of the carriage kits.

They were intended to run on Lima long wheelbase wagon chassis.

I acquired one at Doncaster on Sunday, but having tried it I will be looking at alternatives.

:)

The body is assembled as a layered card box and is surprisingly strong.

The sides and ends are printed on photo quality paper and are very smart.

The roof is curved card and needed colouring.

In hind sight I made a mess of the roof, but may be able to rescue it.

If I can get some decent photos, I will add them too.

Chris

Black Hat

what other kits do they do? do they have a website?

This is my Highfield NER 4-wheel coach.

I snapped it last night on the Hull Club's new N-gauge layout 'Martini Junction'.

post-684-0-52037300-1329472076.jpg

The photo is a bit fuzzy as it was snapped on my mobile, but it does give a fair impression of the coach.

This one is mounted on a Lima chassis which it fits very neatly.

Regards,

Chris

Black Hat

• Like 3

what other kits do they do? do they have a website?

Jeremy Burrows 'PGN' is reissuing some of the Highfield models.

I would suggest you try contacting him through RMWeb for more info.

Regards,

Chris

"
The 4-wheeler isn't a prototypically accurate NER model as far as I can see, so I am simply reproducing it as it stands.

The clerestory bogie coach is an altogether different story. I have managed to identify it in the diagram book, and I have had my printer change the running number so that you will ALWAYS be able to tell apart an original Highfield from one of mine. I am having coach sides printed with 5 different running numbers, so that people who want more than one can have them.

I've also given my printer teh diagram book, and he's been working on overlays fro two different coach designs which will run on teh same body shell - again with 5 different running numbers for each. He told me some time ago that the artwork was ready, but I haven't been able to make time to go and approve it. Must get round to this!

As for marketing them ... haven't really given this much thought yet. The potential market is pretty small and tight-knit, so I'm hopign that once i put teh word out, word of mouth will do the rest!

Depending upion demand, I might try to improve teh basic Highfield design, and even vary it to produce some other coach designs! We'll have to see how it all goes ..."

Edited by Chris_nicole
  • Like 1

The 37 and Deltic are both OO scale.

However, they are published as pdf files, so you could print them to what ever scale you require.

Chris

Any idea where I could get them from?

And do they come in a range of liveries?

Cheers

I have been playing with my Craft Robo cutter again today.

This was produced in about 20 minutes, by setting auto cut lines over some concrete fencing created by Peter Watson.

To give an idea of scale, the holes in the bottom are less tham 1mm across.

Coach windows with radius corners are a breeze, as are smooth curves and tight corners.

post-7023-0-07705200-1329673817_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Any idea where I could get them from?

And do they come in a range of liveries?

Cheers

Catkins,

you need to contact Peter Taft for the Deltic or Class 37 kits:

"Peter Taft has recently produced a card model of a Deltic loco in BR Blue finish to OO scale.

He also has a Class 37 in large logo BR blue and is about to publish a 37 in coal sector grey.

These are available as scaleable pdf downloads or printed to order.

If you would like to know more e-mail Peter at

(I have his permission to post his e-mail)"
  • Like 1

Recently I came across web references to the old MicroModels card building kits.

I have a couple of these unmade (Thames Barge and Stephenson's Rocket).

I had not realised how many Railway sets were in the old MicroModels range, then I found the following web sites:

http://www.worldofmicromodels.com/

http://www.zeistbouwplaten.nl/

http://www.zeistbouwplaten.nl/zeistbouwplaten/Diversen/1135219.htm

Most of these appear to be available in repro at quite reasonable prices.

From what I recall original MicroModels were quite a bit smaller than the usual model railway scales.

But if you find an item you like, it may be possible to enlarge it up to suit your preferred scale.

Have fun,

Chris

• Like 1

Guest Jim Read

A van body for storage use.

I found a photograph in the Oakwood Press book on the Westerham Valley Railway and decided to make the van body in the picture.

I started with a drawing of the side and end, scanned it and copied and pasted the extra bits I would need to make the model.

n3287a.jpg

The printed drawing was stuck to some mount board and the paper coated with just one coat of shellac. The planking lines were made with two scalpel cuts and the paper peeled away.

The strapping and end bars I added from card and cartridge paper and the pieces given another coat of shellac. The rivets are blobs of Seccotine, I've still got a few tubes left, it is still available as is a another and cheaper type; Liquid Hide Wood Glue made by Titebond. Some people have said that they have used PVA but it always spreads out flat when I do it.

2rr1btd.jpg

Here's the finished article with some thin card to make a sagging roof.

30x9x4z.jpg

This is the same method as advocated by Mr E Rankine Gray in his book further back in the thread, it's a bit like Hens teeth to get hold of though. I hope this goes some way to helping anyone who hasn't got the book make some rolling stock.

Here's a pic of a Cattle Wagon I made using the same method. The roof is made from cereal packet card which I find bends very well indeed.

2uxzq06.jpg

Jim

• Like 8

very nice - have to give the seccotine a try - just what I have been looking for. Is it fairly easy to get hold of? or will I need a proper shop rather than a big chain?

do you use card on the chassis too? I have been having some success with card axleboxes, springs etc. Not that they stand as close inspection as yours!

post-11344-0-41907900-1330202236_thumb.jpg

the buffer is card, sticky label and picture pin, but only looks good with your eyes closed :(

Guest Jim Read

Hello CM,

I found this thread :-)

Fair play to you for making all the bits from card I used to buy the under the frame bits from CCW dunno if someone like ABS makes them now?

Liquid Hide Wood Glue into Google will find lots of suppliers, Seccotine is still made but sold in tins and is quite expensive, these hide glues are used by instrument makers and repairers and rumour has it that Stradivarius made his own and Stephens pinched the recipe to make Seccotine.

Reely grate (as they say in West Brom)

Jim

I'm not saying the whitemetal/plastic aren't better - but I can't afford them, no good at cutting them, they won't glue or solder for me......... gets out violin....

also when, as your signature says, you make a b*ll*cks of it, you don't feel guilty hurling it in the bin :D

thanks for the info on the glue - will search it out -- I'm a trumpeter, so not fully up on Stradavarius - didn't he make kindling? :devil:

like your layout post too!

Guest Jim Read

Hello Kelly,

I use EVO-STIK wood adhesive for sticking card to card for my buildings, cheapo 'pritt' stick and a 6" Brayer to stick brick paper to card, and Seccotine for the rolling stock.

Jim