card rolling stock

Guest Jim Read

Hello Chris,

Thanks for the nice comment, I model in 0 Gauge, I doubt whether the technique could be used in the smaller scales. If do you have the determination to work at making these then 7mm modelling can be cheaper than 4mm especially if you have or plan to have a small layout.

I took my little layout to the Ilkeston show yesterday and one visitor commented, 'Each wagon is a model in its own right, unlike the off the shelf and straight onto a layout variety'. I hadn't thought of it like that before.

Jim

• Like 1

At Chapel-en-le-Frith exhibition last weekend there was a rather fine Irish n.g. 00n3 layout called Abhainn an Scail/Annascaul. A lot of the stock on there (wagons and coaches) was made from Alphagraphix card kits. Apparently Alphagraphix will reduce their kits to 4mm on request and, at extra cost, change running numbers as well.

Should have taken my camera...

Guest Jim Read

Hello John,

In ansewer to your question about the Shellac I bought a couple of pounds of flakes many years ago and dissolve them in Meths to use. It can be bought ready mixed as Button Polish and is what French Polisher's use.

Good luck.

Jim

N Gauge 4 wheel coach X 4

N Gauge GWR freelance coaches

This is a set of coaches I made myself from card sometime ago. I have another picture some where if I can find it of some pre-grouping coaches, When I find it I will upload it Edited by steammad
  • Like 4

Guest Jim Read

Hello Steammad,

Those are excellent coaches and especially as the are 2mm, fair play to you.

Hello all,

Looking at the posts about that card cutting thingy, my personal opinion is that it would be cheaper to buy on eBay an A4 scanner, a plastic A3 drawing board and an 0.3 mm Pentel pencil thingy, draw whatever you want to make, scan it fiddle with it in some free software like GimPhoto and print out as many as you want for cutting. What you learned from using the board and software would be of far more use to you than the card cutting thing.

Jim

Looking at the posts about that card cutting thingy, my personal opinion is that it would be cheaper to buy on eBay an A4 scanner, a plastic A3 drawing board and an 0.3 mm Pentel pencil thingy, draw whatever you want to make, scan it fiddle with it in some free software like GimPhoto and print out as many as you want for cutting. What you learned from using the board and software would be of far more use to you than the card cutting thing.

Jim

The advantages of the card cutter are repeatable results and a massive reduction in time. Everything in your post is excellent preperation for either hand cutting or whacking it through the machine. The only difference is the speed and (In my cack handed case) quality of the final product. I still have to design the artwork prior to cutting, add texture, print etc. but I then do an extra step of adding cut lines. When laminating up layers, the holes match up to within 01.mm and I can form smooth curves without any problems.

Not sure if its cheating or just using modern technology to improve the end result ??

• Like 1

cheating.........? aaargh! are there rules?

:)

I don't think cheating exists in this - just different ways of doing things

personally in 2 minds about the craft cutter - part of me REALLY wants it - particularly the part that has to cut lots of layers out, the other part thinks is it worth it when I rerely make 2 of anything (yes folks, my attention span is that short :) )

given that I design the models on the computer anyway, how long extra would setting the machine up to cut take? any estimates?

edit due to thinking of something I had forgotton to add :)

Edited by cornamuse

cheating.........? aaargh! are there rules?

:)

I don't think cheating exists in this - just different ways of doing things

personally in 2 minds about the craft cutter - part of me REALLY wants it - particularly the part that has to cut lots of layers out, the other part thinks is it worth it when I rerely make 2 of anything (yes folks, my attention span is that short :) )

given that I design the models on the computer anyway, how long extra would setting the machine up to cut take? any estimates?

edit due to thinking of something I had forgotton to add :)

To set up cut lines, you import the drawing into the supplied software as a graphics file and overlay the cut lines. For simple designs, there is an auto trace feature, byt I find that a better job can be done manually. Within the package there are lines, boxes with curved corners, arcs and circles etc. With windows, I do a single panel and then cut and paste.

The design is then printed with a set of registration marks. The printed sheet is then fed into the cutter and the cut begins. Watching the paper or card whizz in and out of the machine is quite mesmorizing! I have had no difficulty getting accurate cuts, but there is a learning curve.

The most time consuming part of the operation is setting the cutter up for a new material, as you often need to do a few test cuts to get the depth and speed correct for optimum cutting. This is the step that lets most people down, as a search of thr Craft Robo forums will prove. Many people just feed in the design, press cut and are then unhappy with the result.

If you would like to see the result, I would be more than happy to set up a cut of one of your designs. Drop me a PM and we can arrange for you to send me a file and I will feed it through the machine.

• Like 1

N Gauge GWR freelance coaches

This is a set of coaches I made myself from card sometime ago. I have another picture some where if I can find it of some pre-grouping coaches, When I find it I will upload it

Here as promised is the other picture of coaches I made from card. Also N 'Gauge

post-6844-0-28553700-1330713678_thumb.jpg

post-6844-0-40314200-1330713814_thumb.jpg

Edited by steammad
  • Like 5

I took my little layout to the Ilkeston show yesterday and one visitor commented, 'Each wagon is a model in its own right, unlike the off the shelf and straight onto a layout variety'. I hadn't thought of it like that before.

Jim

such a well observed comment that punter made ! (hehe) glad to see this thread alive and kicking.. I've been actively seeking shellac and plans for wagons since we spoke Jim! A 7mm Y6 is looking favourable.. although there are some 7mm NG plans hatching too..

I can testify by the way folks, to the effectiveness of Jim's wagons in 'the flesh' - very nice modelling and I honestly couldn't tell them apart from kit versions

Jim

interesting idea - I hadn't thought of it like that either, but then should have, since I enjoy building each vehicle as a project in its own right. Also - many of them never get to have a layout - I just build them because I like them.

to which end - here is my laterst attempt - a version of the Ffestiniog hearse van. Only non card items are the 2 wire handles, the wheels, and 4 pins for the inside of the urns. .. oh, and a lot of superglue :D

post-11344-0-78005300-1330765102_thumb.jpg

not as neat nd tidy as yours, Jim, but kept me amused for a week or so :)

Edited by cornamuse
  • Like 4

Guest Jim Read

Cor! a fair biy in this thread since I last looked.

Hello Matt I would love to see some of the results from the robo card cutter.

Thanks Martin nice of you :-) Will look forward to seeing your 7mm Y6 I know you made a 3mm one.

Great Hearse CM it really looks the part and so does the slate wagon.

Those coaches look really good Steammad once again in 2mm, you must have amazing eyesight!

It's really nice to find people who are passionate about modelling with card.

Jim

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Has anybody come across Cardboard Enineering, with scisors and paste by GH Deason published Model Aeronautical Press in the 1960,s?

It contained disciptions of how to build a variety of models including a showmans road locomotive and a Midland Railway train hauled by a

Crampton loco. A later edition also had a model of Sannon now at Didcot. The railway models were 7mm scale

Laurence

• Like 1

no, but oooooooooo, I want it now!

..... stamps foot and pouts....

edit - bigger pout after googling it and finding out how much copies are selling for :(

what scale were the other models?

Edited by cornamuse

no, but oooooooooo, I want it now!

..... stamps foot and pouts....

edit - bigger pout after googling it and finding out how much copies are selling for :(

what scale were the other models?

Variable depending on the model cannot remember all the models as it is over 35 years since I lost my copy(ouch!)

You have got more out of google than i did neather it or e-bay gave any result when I was looking on Sunday

Laurence

I have been corresponding with a chap named Jack on deviantarts Art and Craft forum.

He has produced some very interesting small scale railway models in various materials.

His latest offering is a set of N-gauge Bulleid Leaders in card.

http://fav.me/d4td4ye

He is considering producing these as kits if there is enough interest.

Some of my stuff is online there too.

On DA I go by the name Cavyman.

Regards,

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

At the front of Deasons book there is a photo of a card model of a broad gauge loco (Iron Duke I think )

that was in the Scence Museum. Fast forward to about 5 years ago wandering around the NRM there it was!

Sadly I had not got my camera :nono: ! I have looked for it since and never seen it. Has anybody seen a white

broad gauge loco in the warehouse and better still got a photo thereof?

Laurence

Laurence,

Your description sounds familiar.

I seem to recall seeing a white or cream card model of a steam locomotive.

I don't have a photo of it.

Searching the NRM website, the only card model locomotive I found was this one:

Model steam locomotive, approx. 1/12 scale, Shutt End Colliery 0-4-0 `Agenoria', prototype built by Foster, Raistrick in 1829, cardboard model by Lloyd Thompson, c.1975

<http://www.flickr.co...N04/5946967134/>

Regards,

Chris

Edited by Chris_nicole